Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson 10 Round Mags are Genius

chunger

I think these mags are absolutely brilliant. . . someone must have spent hours designing them :)

Notice how the side channels narrow towards the top so the tapered rounds stagger like a double stack dramatically reducing the gap between the 1st and 2nd round. Cool stuff!

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

yup they work great!

One thing I'm curious about, and I'm sure the tuners can enlighten me, why doesn't a magazine company make a 10 round 9mm/38super mag with the crease farther back so they wouldn't have to use a spacer for the 9mm? The wilson 9mm etm mags are restrictive to OAL because of this. Also, why hasn't a single stack mag came out similar to SVI's 38 super tubes with the panel indention so it will work with either? Just got to thinking.....now I need some asprin as it hurts!

• 2 weeks later...

so wait, are those 9mm magazines. I'm not always "up" on trends, but I understand wilson have made a new ETM 9mm mags, are those it? 10 rounders?

What kind of gun, hows' it running? I'd like some for my Springer 9mm 1911.

so wait, are those 9mm magazines. I'm not always "up" on trends, but I understand wilson have made a new ETM 9mm mags, are those it? 10 rounders?

Yeah, those are the wilson 10 round 9mm ETMs. Only problem I had with them is that you have to load to 1.150 or shorter due to the spacer.

• 4 months later...

Just bought 5 of the new 10 round Wilson 9mms and some observations:

Gun Used: Custom built by Frank Glenn Single Stack springfield 38 super with a 9mm Bar sto semi drop in barrel. 10lb recoil spring.

1. I could immediately load 10 rnds of 9mm without undue pressure on the 10th round even without pre loading the magazines and letting them set to take a spring set. I could not do this with my Wilson 10 rnd 38 super magazines when they were new.

My first test was my standard bullet., 151 grain Ranier RN. Initially loaded to OAL of 1.150-1.155. Worked but no margin for error. Reset bullets to 1.145-1.150.

2. I routinely load one rnd less than the max to enhance reliability but when I did try using the 10 rnd load in the 9mm magazines they worked, at least with the round nose bullets. I did notice that the nose on the 10th rnd while still in the correct alignment for feeding, was noticably lighter (i.e. less supported) than when loaded with 9 rnds.

3. In using magazines loaded with the above RN bullett, I had no magazine related failures to feed in 36 rnds.

4. Then switched to Redline lead, 147 gr FP. Oal was less as I used the same seating adjustment as I had with my 151 Raniers. Again in 27 rnds (9 to a magazine) no failures to feed.

5. Finally tried the cheap Winchester or Remington HP purchased at Wally world. With 9 rnds load had my first nose dive on the feed ramp. I have not yet measured, but these were probably the shortest of all the runds. I reset the offending round in the magazine and next time thru it fed fine. All subsequent founds fed fine too.

All magazines locked back when empty- no problems. I have tried all the ususual 9mm mags except Tripp. Found these fed the smoothest of all and have not yet even given them the silicone treatment.

Editorial. I am keeping these and will buy more.

Jim G

Yeah, those are the wilson 10 round 9mm ETMs. Only problem I had with them is that you have to load to 1.150 or shorter due to the spacer.

Can you pull the spacer out or is it permantely fixed in magazine body?

Hello: I have not tried them but some guys around here have. They had some feeding problems and also had the first round come out in there mag holders. Have any of you guys seen this? I don't know what type of mag holders they are using but will find out this weekend. They also are having problems with the Tripp 9mm mags when loading from slide lock. The first round is coming out of the mag when inserted in the pistol. I have not seen that with my Tripp 9mm mags so far. I do want to try the Wilsons since I like there 47D's so much. Lastly do the Wilson mags fit the SVI magwell? Thanks, Eric

Can you pull the spacer out or is it permantely fixed in magazine body?

The spacer on the Wilson 10-round 9mm magazines is a long strip of black plastic that can be pulled out the bottom of the mag, once the floorplate and subfloorplate are removed. You would, however, need a different follower thereafter, since the front-to-rear dimensions of the magazine tube would then be considerably longer than the length of the remaining follower.

• 2 weeks later...
OK----for those that have tried both----if you were going to spend a couple hundred on

10 rd 9mm 1911 mags, would it be Tripp or Wilson?

I have both. Originally the Tripps were giving me problems and I had to send in for the other follower. Now they work much better but are not flawless.

The ETMs have been almost perfect after a couple thousand rounds of use. Plus, I like the follower better.

So ETMs are my choice. YMMV

Eric

The Metalform 10-rounders are great. Basically, they took the idea of the "pre-feed ramp" from their Robbie Leatham designed 9-rounders, but combined it with the "spacer at the rear" idea of the traditional single stack 9mm 1911 magazine. In my experience, this results in an extremely smooth feeding mag.