Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect set of rifle mags?

I think it depends on the match and on your preference. I would get as many mags of each kind as you think you might need. then get more. Too many mags is never bad.

tactical or open? if open, how tall a bipod u use also can dictate (i.e. prone positions). certainly a 40, several 30's, a set of coupled 30's and 20's would be the minimum. and they all have to work! but j-ho's right, the more the better!

I use as follows:

20 round mags: Two cinched together, they work great when bi-podding off of a slanted roof. Two single 20 rd mags as spares.

30 round mags: Two sets of cinched 30 rd. P-mags. One set of metal 30 rd. mags cinched with rounded pads at the bottom (can't remember the brand name), these work great for a bi-pod when shooting from a good base. Several single 30 rd mags to put in back pocket as spare/emergency mags.

52 round Tripp mag: One of these because it works 100% and handles the majority of stages longer than 25 rounds.

45 round mags: I just ordered two of these from Sudden Death. They will be cinched together to use as bi-pod in areas where I need to get a little higher off of the ground (like some courses of fire at RM3G).

Beta mag: I got this as a gift, I had never planned to purchase one. It has worked 100% and I use it a lot for longer courses of fire, or when I need to bi-pod at a little lower height than what the 30 rounders give me. On a 60 round course of fire I will just load this with 75 rounds, then have a couple 30 rounders as spares if the Beta goes bad. I keep waiting for this to give out, but hasn't happened. I always use the graphite when loading.

As to what makes the perfect set of mags for 3-gun? I have seen people beat me badly by just using single 30 round mags loaded from back pockets. Go figure.

Edited by Brian Payne

Brian, thanks! I know what my opinion is but I wanted to get an idea what others think. I want one set of magazines that go to every match and will handle any situation that might arise. As my buddy Rob Romero would say "Mags are one of the tools of our trade and it is your responsibility to make sure you have the right tools for each job."

My kit contains a pair of coupled 30 P-Mags, a pair of coupled 25 P-Mags, 2 single 30 round maglevel P-Mags, and a single 20 round P-Mag. I plan on picking up one more 20 and need a big stick of some sort but have not settled on which one since Magpul does not make an extended capacity magazine.

Just some further notes as to why I use what I do.

I shoot Tac Ops with a TA-11 and I do not use secondary iron sights. So I have no need to twist my rifle back and forther during a course of fire. I find the 52 round Tripp mag to work well during long courses of fire because it balances so well, the weight isn't a hindrance for me. I normally only use it if the course calls for between 28 and 48 rounds. Any more than that and I use cinched mags or the Beta. I don't let this one free fall from the weapon. I am sure it is built to take it but I don't take the chance.

I use coupled mags for any time I have a course of fire requiring reloads, or if I am shooting prone. It is quicker for me to do a reload with cinched mags, than to grab another one off of the belt. The only bad thing is that if you push the mag release button prior to grabbing the cinched mags, they don't just fall out of the weapon, they shoot out as if shot from a cannon. Then you better have spares on you somewhere. I normally use the second set of cinched P-mags hanging in my back pocket as the emergency reload. If you use a magwell (I don't) make sure the cinched mags will seat properly prior to arriving at a shoot.

I am anxious to get the 45 round mags from Sudden Death. I hear nothing but good things.

What I have now:

20's - 2 each. Just in case there's a funky low position.

30's - 3 each. What I use 90% of the time.

40's - 1 each. Just in case it's necessary.

On 30's, I have Brownell's mags and a couple of PMag's. I don't cinch them together 'cause well...I reload the pistol from the belt and there's no point in changing what's already being done just 'cause the gun's a little bigger. Too, the only time I reload off the gun is using a Redi-Mag and thus far it's proven faster than cinching mags. However, most times that I throw the Redi-Mag on is when I don't want to use my bi-pod and so have a dedicated POS 40 round mag with an Arredondo base to use as a mono-pod (i.e. no reload).

In the end, experience is everything. I will pick-up a 52/53 round mag from Tripp and keep it just in case. I don't believe in Beta mags. I think they're unnecessary and to a degree cheating. Of course, I'm for mandated reloads in non-standard rifle events (USPSA) and as such am in the minority when it comes to gear. Too, if you ever need to do a reload, there's definitely always time and so 2-30's most often will null the "need" for anything greater. However, every once in a while, it is and it's why the 40 and 52/53 will be kept in the bag.

Rich

I've got two Pmag 20's, two Pmag 30's in an arredondo coupler, and a couple of single C-product 30 rounders. When the CMMG 42 round mags come out I'll buy a couple of those to add to the stable.

Polytech

For a minimum I'd say get 2-20's, 4-30's, 2-40/45's. that all work. As for cinching them together, thats your own personal preference. I have 2 30's cinched up and have used them twice in 4 years, I have a Beta, I've used maybe 5-6 times in 4 years. Personally I'd take the money spent on a Beta and go with 2 or 3, 40 to 45 round mags instead. the Tripp mags are very good as are the DPMS.

Since Polytech has mentioned the CMMG 42round mags, I'll tell what I was told, these will feature the non tilting SS mag follower, a coiled and coated spring and the mag will be coated with some "super secret squirrel" coating to make them slick and corrosion resistant, and..........................................................projected retail is $20.00. I'm just repeating what I was told!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I use cinched mags... don't really practice off the belt. For a local match I would just bring 2 30's coupled by Arredondo yokes. For a big match I bring:

* 1 30 rounder. Magpul basepad in standard orientation.

- Used for extra insurance. Usually just put in a pants pocket.

- Use primarily as back-up for the Beta C.

* 2 30 rounders coupled with Arredondo yoke and basepads. Tops and bottoms are even.

- Used for any courses that require <25 rds.

- Used for any course that has a mandated reload.

- The left mag is for insurance.

- 3rd choice for prone positions.

- Primary choice for bench, table or barrel positions.

* 1 30 rounder on the right and one ~40 rounder on the left. Put together with Arredondo yoke and MagPul Ranger basepads. The bottoms are even.

- Used for courses that require >26 and <35 rds.

- The right mag (30 rounder) is primarily for insurance.

- Primary choice for prone. The 30's are a tad low ...the 45 is a little too high ...while the ~40 mag is just right. :P

- Used for when the top of the barricade can be used as a rest for the magazine... the rubber MagPul Ranger basepads grip and conform to the barricade better than the a plain magazine or a mag equipped with the Arredondo basepad.

* 1 30 rounder on the left with a 45 rounder on the right. Put together with Arredondo yoke. No external basepad on the 30 rounder. Magpul on the 45 rounder. The tops are parallel.

- Used for courses that require >35 and <45 rds.

- The left mag is primarily for insurance.

* Beta-C.

- Used for courses that require >=45 rds.

- Used for when 30's, 40's and 45's are too tall.

* 2 20 rounders coupled together.

(Note: I have NEVER use these 20's at a big match.)

On big matches... I aim to never reload. :P

It would make things so much easier if we limited Tactical/Limited to 30 rounders. :roflol:

I use cinched mags... don't really practice off the belt. For a local match I would just bring 2 30's coupled by Arredondo yokes. For a big match I bring:

* 1 30 rounder. Magpul basepad in standard orientation.

- Used for extra insurance. Usually just put in a pants pocket.

- Use primarily as back-up for the Beta C.

* 2 30 rounders coupled with Arredondo yoke and basepads. Tops and bottoms are even.

- Used for any courses that require <25 rds.

- Used for any course that has a mandated reload.

- The left mag is for insurance.

- 3rd choice for prone positions.

- Primary choice for bench, table or barrel positions.

* 1 30 rounder on the right and one ~40 rounder on the left. Put together with Arredondo yoke and MagPul Ranger basepads. The bottoms are even.

- Used for courses that require >26 and <35 rds.

- The right mag (30 rounder) is primarily for insurance.

- Primary choice for prone. The 30's are a tad low ...the 45 is a little too high ...while the ~40 mag is just right. :P

- Used for when the top of the barricade can be used as a rest for the magazine... the rubber MagPul Ranger basepads grip and conform to the barricade better than the a plain magazine or a mag equipped with the Arredondo basepad.

* 1 30 rounder on the left with a 45 rounder on the right. Put together with Arredondo yoke. No external basepad on the 30 rounder. Magpul on the 45 rounder. The tops are parallel.

- Used for courses that require >35 and <45 rds.

- The left mag is primarily for insurance.

* Beta-C.

- Used for courses that require >=45 rds.

* 2 20 rounders coupled together.

(Note: I have NEVER use these 20's at a big match.)

On big matches... I aim to never reload. :P

It would make things so much easier if we limited Tactical/Limited to 30 rounders. :roflol:

Hmmmm..... Good stuff.. I think. :cheers:

Edit to add... All good stuff but the limit to 30 rounders. <_<:D

Edited by Merlin Orr

Wow, now I see why some of you guys need a range wagon! If I know there is going to be a slanted roof I will throw in a 20. If not it stays home. I usually carry to the match 3 30s non cinched....ever, and one 45 rounder. The 30s are old LeBelle G.I. mags w/ mag-pul followers, the 2 belt holders are made by The Wilderness company. The 45 is made by Jeff Gordon...no not that one...Suddendeath. At real big matches I will throw a Beta into the truck, but I have only used it 4 or 5 times over the last 13 years but when you need it nothing else will do :):D

I have seen every type of redi-mag and mag cinch leave a shooter behind enough times to ever trust one. I know some very good shooters and have watched them do both very fine reloads and have very fine disasters directly coupled to ...ah.....well...coupled mags. Coupled mags were started by guys in the military way back when mag pouches were hard to open fast. For what 3-gunners do with open mag pouches like The Wilderness, and the Kydex holders there is no reason to cinch anything up but your belt when it is full of spare ammo, in my opinion. BUT Y.M.M.V.

Religious Shooter:

I've never been one to shy away from having a lot of stuff, and I will admit ot being obsessive-compulsive, but HOLY CRAP BATMAN THATS A LOT OF MAGS!!!

I don't have a Beta C. Have one home-tuned 40 rounder that works pretty well, it goes along with 3 or 4 30 rounders and one 20 rounder to any rifle match I've attended. I have used 2 30's cinched with the Arredondo yokes a few times, but in practice I've expierenced the top round of the spare mag walking a little. Don't know if I'm gonna trust that too much in the future, we'll see in San Antonio.

Have a SuddenDeath 45 rounder on the way. (hurry up Jeff) :cheers:

Brian, thanks! I know what my opinion is but I wanted to get an idea what others think. I want one set of magazines that go to every match and will handle any situation that might arise. As my buddy Rob Romero would say "Mags are one of the tools of our trade and it is your responsibility to make sure you have the right tools for each job."

My kit contains a pair of coupled 30 P-Mags, a pair of coupled 25 P-Mags, 2 single 30 round maglevel P-Mags, and a single 20 round P-Mag. I plan on picking up one more 20 and need a big stick of some sort but have not settled on which one since Magpul does not make an extended capacity magazine.

Are you one them super secret squirrel guys that gets all the cool NEW Magpul stuff or what? Let me guess.......its not what you know......its who you know?

Are you one them super secret squirrel guys that gets all the cool NEW Magpul stuff or what? Let me guess.......its not what you know......its who you know?

You can modify the 30 rounders, there were lots of guys on ar15.com cutting down 30's to make 20's before they were available from the factory.

A note on coupled 30 rounders. I've had the top round walking problem, too. When I started using Pmags I figured I'd have the same problem, so I took to putting the dust cover on the left mag, tethered to the magazine cinch by a length of monofillament. I'd flip off the cover with my thumb before changing mags. Seemed to work pretty well for a while, until the mono broke at Ironman this year. So, I just started using it without the cover, and I found I did not have the round walking problem with the Pmags. Don't know why, but that top round just doesn't seem to walk out of the Pmags like it seems to in metal mags.

The 25s are homemade. One by a guy I know- the other by me after I saw the first one. 25's are perfect if you like coupled mags and Arrendondo mag wells because they are short enough to work on a slanted roof or low port yet still tall enough to take two of the Arrendondo couplers and seat into the mag well...20s will only seat with one coupler and provide too much disaster factor with that set up.