Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi everyone, newbie here.

I am not new to reloading or guns, but I do not know the answer to this question. I`m sure there are a bunch of Dillon geniouses (sp) out there that know what is causing this. I would like to know what is making it hard to push the handle back up on the upstroke. I do know the resistance is from the #2 station on the belling operation. I am loading with brand new Starline .45 brass. It is not hard on every case. But on most cases. I really have to push up hard. Sometimes it makes the primers flip over if I don`t watch it. Anyone ever experience this?

Do you think it is because of new brass? If I remember correctly I don`t think it mattered whether the brass was new or not.

AzShooter, sorry I`m not sure what bar you are referring to. If you mean to lube a bar on the press, I know it is not anything on the press. The press operates very easily and smooth. It is resistance from the belling and powder die. I think it is the powder funnel going inside the case and getting hard to pull back out. Sometimes I have to use pretty good force to pull it back out.

I am not new to reloading or guns, but I do not know the answer to this question. I`m sure there are a bunch of Dillon geniouses (sp) out there that know what is causing this. I would like to know what is making it hard to push the handle back up on the upstroke. I do know the resistance is from the #2 station on the belling operation. I am loading with brand new Starline .45 brass. It is not hard on every case. But on most cases. I really have to push up hard. Sometimes it makes the primers flip over if I don`t watch it. Anyone ever experience this?

Do you think it is because of new brass? If I remember correctly I don`t think it mattered whether the brass was new or not.[/size]

It's most likely because its new brass.

Try it with once fired brass and you probably won't have any problems.

Do you think it is because of new brass? If I remember correctly I don`t think it mattered whether the brass was new or not.[/size]

It's most likely because its new brass.

Try it with once fired brass and you probably won't have any problems.

Yep...new brass is "sticky" when belling the case. I've found tumbling them in treated media a while seems to help out some. If you feel a case stick use, for lack of a better term, "controlled force" on the upstroke...in other words, be ready for the case to release from the die and don't allow the sudden jerk forward which is what flips the primers.

Thanks. The new brass does create the resistance that causes the jerkiness and hard upstroke. I tried running fired brass thru the process and the problem goes away. I`m going to put on some Imperial Dry Neck Lube in the case mouths to help make it easier. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Or you could just give the brass a squirt with some Hornady "One Shot."

be

The problem is with the powder expander. When you lube your cases with Hornady's One Shot be sure some gets into the mouth. The problem then goes away. I lube mine in a cut down motor oil box. Put a bunch of cases in the box, make sure the mouth is up on most cses, then spray lube. You will immediatly see which cases have no lube in the mouth because of the effort required.

You could try a 1050 powder funnel for pistol. It is a plain taper instead of the case expanding section.

I have loaded many rounds with it on my 550. If it is good enough for the 1050, it is good enough for the 550.

13005 Powder Activator, Pistol

The 1050 belling / powder activator only works properly and should only be used on the 1050, because the sized case is expanded at station #3. With a SDB, 650, 500 or 550 you have to use the correct powder funnel to expand and bell.

Lubing the cases is the answer, either Hornady or Dillon work best. I prefer the Dillon as it can be shipped easier than Aerosol. Hornady now have a water based pump spray lube, I just have not tried it, YET.

+1 on the One Shot.

I read about it on the forums, but had never used it as I have carbide dies.

One shot, maybe two, what a difference in smoothness and ease of reloading. :cheers:

Yes One Shot will drastically help. I have had the same sticking with fired and new cases. I tried some one shot after reading on the tips section here and it mad reloading 1000 times easier. The handle moves so much more freely since even with carbide dies. I know if I have a case without lube especially on tall cases.