Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

small rifle primer in .38 super

TheOtherErik

I did a search and couldent find exactly what I wanted.

Im going start shooting open in a few weeks and need to work up some loads. I will be using 115 and 124 gr bullets with n350. I the question is are rifle primers neccessary or are they just used as a extra precaution? I have a ton of small pistol primers that I'd like to use.

Small pistol MAGNUM primers may work for you.  Only way to know for sure in your gun is to try.  Then look closely at the primers.  Decap the fired primers and look at the edges for the Chefs hat look and compare them with the same load with small rifle primers.

Please note that small pistol magnum primers share the cup thickness of the small rifle primers, but are a considerably more powerful primer than the standard small rifle primer.  As in all loading, start low and work up, watching for signs of excessive pressure.

Guy

The easy way to do this is to use small rifle primers for everything (except revolvers with trigger jobs). I do this with 9mm too, no problem, no difference.

You can also get a long firing pin (Limcat) to reduce or eliminate primer flow. I use one and it's extremely effective.

I don't know if you ever saw me shoot my foo-foo gun in its early days with Remington factory-primed brass... it was horrible. Many misfires due to the primer flowing and leaving little bits about, clogging up the pin hole.

OK im covinced.  Im going to make the transition  to small rifle for everything when I run out of small pistol primers.

I dont know what firing pin is in there right now. The gun is still on lock down by the great state of california for 6 more days. I have a limcat firing pin that I purchased for my limited gun as a spare. I guess I should throw it in for good measure when I pickup the gun.

Erik,  I vaguely remeber your problems with the factory primed brass. I thought just had a few duds.  Guess it was more serious than that.  The gun was built by Dan Ruff so it should be really similar to yours.

Yeah in addition to the Remingtons that flowed like water, one of them had no priming compound, just an anvil and a cup.

Is your gun just like mine and Nolan's and James' and Mark's? (I hope it's not like Mark's with the Optima!) Mark and Nolan have the porpoise holes but I don't think James succumbed to the temptation.

Yeah its pretty much like all of them except the external shape of the comp it a bit different. It has the guide rod that extends all the way to the end of the comp. It does have two holes in the barrel. It has a C-more. He shot the gun in one match and hung it up. I got basicly brand new gun.

(Edited by TheOtherErik at 10:42 pm on Jan. 12, 2003)

Quote: from Guy Neill on 11:34 am on Jan. 3, 2003

Please note that small pistol magnum primers share the cup thickness of the small rifle primers, but are a considerably more powerful primer than the standard small rifle primer.

Do I understand this correctly to mean that if a gun will set off SPM's it will ignite SPR's?  Could I also infer that if I wanted a little more ignition kick in a .223 load I could use an SPM instead of an SPR?  Please forgive me if this is common knowledge; this is the first time I had heard that an SPM and SPR are the same "hardness" but that the SPM is hotter/more powerful.

I currently use Federal SPM's in my 9mm, and saw a great deal on Win SR's.  The reason I hadn't switched was I was worried about the extra striker force needed to set off the primer.  I was also hoping that the SR's would give a little more kick at the ignition to help things burn a little cleaner.

I don't know about all primers, but for CCI, the cups used for the Small Pistol Magnum and Small Rifle Standard are the same thickness (working from memory at the moment).  The priming compounds are different, with the magnum having a hotter mix.  Sensitivity should generally fall into the same spectrum.  The Small Rifle Magnum primers would use the same mix as the Small Pistol Magnum, but with a thicker cup, if I recall correctly.

Guy

I'll be the exception here and say that with a fitted extra-long firing pin I've had no problems running tens of thousands of Federal small pistol primers through my supers, especially at 165 PF--

but there's not much downside to using SR primers in Major loads-- for mass amounts of steel loads, you might get some breechface erosion.

btw, try starting w/7.8gr N350 & 124's-- check here and jmaas' site for more

I have to go to small pistol magnum primers in 9mm loads only at the very top of what HS-6, AA#5, and 3N37 can do.

If the regular primer pierces,  and you want to try a tougher primer, remember to reduce the load before start working up.

The magnum can act like an extra grain of powder.

The day I found that out, I was chasing pistol parts all over:(

I can't agree that rifle primers are good for all pistol loads.  Really light loads can fail to seal off the primer pocket and cause breech face erosion.  Also there are a lot of major loads that work fine with standard pistol primers.  I would start out with standard primers and switch to rifle if I saw problems.  Be aware though that rifle primers are covering up a high pressure situation.  In xx years I've never had to use a rifle primer in a pistol but I don't shoot a hybrid open pistol.