Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help a Novice with a new laptop purchase

I need to get a new laptop. My Dell Inspiron that has travelled the world with me and survived post-Katrina recovery work has about had it. First and foremost, I have to have Windows XP. I have a lot of programs that will not run on Vista and I access a lot of work related programs that are the same. So far, I have only found that Dell still offers XP on their Laptop builds. Bestbuy and Circuit City will do it, but then they charge more and I have to buy the Office products separately. I am looking to keep this in the $1000 range if possible as I plan to hand this new laptop off to my son within a year. Can you recommend any other companies that offer a build with XP? I have worked up the following on Dell's website:

Jet Black edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2370 (1.73GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home edit

DISPLAY Anti-glare, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800) edit

VIDEO CARD Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 edit

MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz edit

HARD DRIVE Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) edit

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive) edit

WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card edit

INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam edit

BATTERY OPTIONS 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell) edit

SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

$649.00

I have the following options:

CPU - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5550 (1.83GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache (whats more important, cache or speed)?

I am goging to upgrade to 2 gig of RAM

Should I upgrade to the Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card or Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card (I have a Wireless G router at home. Will the Wireless N work on with it? Would I have to upgrade my router at HOME? Will I have a problem with routers when I travel)?

Looks like they hose you on the Office software. The system comes standard with Microsoft Works, which is not the works. What I need is Microsoft® Office Small Business 2007-includes Publisher + Outlook2007, another $279.00! I guess they have me there. :angry2:

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know how to use them...I just am not educated on what goes into them and the new bells and whistles. Thanks!

Jack,

two thoughts: I hate hard drives that spin slower than 7200 rpm, they really do slow things down. I'd prefer a smaller hard drive if it was faster.

On Microsoft Office --- do you own a copy of the software now that works for you? If so, you're typically allowed to install that on at least one desktop and one laptop. I usually uninstall my copy off the old laptop, and then install it on the new one. Then --- with every other or every third laptop purchase, I buy a copy of the current version of Office, to keep me updated.....

Also --- Dell announced that they will stop XP builds somewhere around the middle of June.....

Mac is pretty much the only way you're going to run XP reliably from here on out via a laptop. Sure, you can buy wintel laptop. Sure you can buy XP. But good luck finding drivers to make one work with the other. Running XP via VM fusion is awesome. Incredible OS backup/cloning capability. Just drag, drop, and bango, you've either backed up, or recovered your OS.

Head to: store.apple.com

Then, buy a copy of VM Fusion ($60 on amazon) at: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software...5656&sr=8-1

No, the hardware is not cheap. But, it's extremely productive AND you get to retain your XP legacy system seamlessly. So easy to install, even *I* did it. The hardest part, as always, is the tedious windows install. ;)

Mac is pretty much the only way you're going to run XP reliably from here on out via a laptop. Sure, you can buy wintel laptop. Sure you can buy XP. But good luck finding drivers to make one work with the other. Running XP via VM fusion is awesome. Incredible OS backup/cloning capability. Just drag, drop, and bango, you've either backed up, or recovered your OS.

Then, buy a copy of VM Fusion ($60 on amazon) at: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software...5656&sr=8-1

No, the hardware is not cheap. But, it's extremely productive AND you get to retain your XP legacy system seamlessly. So easy to install, even *I* did it. The hardest part, as always, is the tedious windows install. ;)

+1

Go to the Apple Store on the web and look near the bottom for refurbs.

And if you have a license for XP and Office you do not have to buy new ones; the license is good as Nik said if you do not put them on too many computers. I can run Windoze Vista (when I have to) on my Imac under VM faster than on my Tosiba laptop.

Jack,

I'll also point you toward the Dell outlet --- if you decide to go that route. My last two laptops came from there, and I've been completely satisfied. Apple might be out of your price range, but I'd certainly consider them if I could afford 'em......

Unlike most of the others I've had no major troubles running Wintel boxes....

Thanks, Everyone. I checked on my XP and Office software - I believe they are OEM purchases - they came with systems I purchased from Dell. So looks like I am screwed with that. As I have been shopping, I have gotten confused between the difference of Office Small Business and Pro. From what I can tell, Pro offers Access and Small Business does not? Is that correct?

I have checked the Dell Outlet - I have purchased 3 PCs through that avenue. Unfortunately, they have no XP based system available. I will check Apple's and see what is there.

As for Dell, I have been looking at the business systems and have been intrigued with the Latitudes and Vostros (a new offering with decent reviews):

Vostro 1510 Qty 1

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional Unit Price $1,372.00

Catalog Number: 4 BQDW52Z

Module Description Show Details

Bases Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional

LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™

Memory 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

Video Cards Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drives 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with Free Fall Sensor

Fingerprint Reader Fingerprint Reader and UPEK Protector Suite software

Adobe Software Adobe® Reader 8.1

Optical Drives 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability, with Roxio Creator

Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless Cards Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card

Camera and Digital Microphone Integrated 1.3 mega pixel Web Camera and Digital Microphone

Productivity Software Microsoft Office Sm Business Ed 2007 -includes Publisher + Outlook 2007

Customized Pictaflex LCD Back No Customerization LCD Option

Antivirus/Security Suite (Pre-install) No Anti-Virus/ Security Software

Primary Battery 58 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service

DataSafe No Online Data Back Up Installed

PC Tune UP No Dell Automated PC Tune Up Installed

Dell Support and PC Tuneup DellNetwork Assistant 1.7

Bluetooth Wireless Wireless 360 Bluetooth Internal for XP

Purchase Intent Purchase is Not Intended for Resale

Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Label

Labels Windows XP®

SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DELL

Laplink PCmover Essentials: migrates applications, includes transfer cable Qty 1

Dell Part# A1139355 Unit Price $25.00

Manufacturer Part# PAFGPCMV02000PDRTPEN

Dell Part# A1139355

TOTAL:$1,397.00

or -

Latitude D630 Qty 1

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.00GHz) 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core, Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, with media Unit Price $1,889.00

Save $413 on Select Latitude D630 through Dell Small Business

Limited Time Offer

- $413.00

Catalog Number: 4 BLCWJ3H

Latitude D630 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.00GHz) 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, with media

LCDs 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD Panel

Memory 2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

Internal Keyboard Internal English Keyboard

Graphics Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drives 160GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 7200RPM (Free Fall Sensor)

Touchpad Options Standard Touchpad

Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive

Bluetooth Dell Wireless® 360 Bluetooth Module for Windows XP

AC Adapter 65W A/C Adapter

Media Bay Devices 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™

Wireless LAN (802.11) Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Dual-Band Mini Card

Productivity Software Microsoft® Office 2007 Professional and Adobe Acrobat 8.1 STD

System Documentation No System Documenation

Battery 6 Cell Primary Battery

Hardware Support Services 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service

Ship Group US - System Documentation, Power Cord

Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.

Establish Hard Drive Partition Custom Factory Partition, 50 percent Primary / 50 percent Secondary

OS Labels Windows XP Label

SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DELL

Laplink PCmover Essentials: migrates applications, includes transfer cable Qty 1

Dell Part# A1139355

TOTAL:$1,501.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vostro has a card reader (something I need). I can not tell of the Latitude has that. Does anything jump out on these systems that I want to avoid? Nik, thanks for the reminder on the HD speed. I had not considered that.

I will check the Apples and see if anything I can afford is on the outlet.

Jack, I'm sitting here looking at my Upgrade copy of 2007 office and it shows that it includes access 2007 also, I know i've tried to load programs that came with my dell laptop on my home system and it wouldn't let it. But and i don't know if your current softward came with a dell you should be able to put it on any dell.

Kevin

I have a Macbook at work with OS X Leopard on it and Bootcamp, and dual boot to XP. Its a whole lot slower to load XP than a PC-based laptop.

Leopard ships with Bootcamp, so you can partition your Mac OS and dual boot without running a VM. It has all the drivers you need.

I would get a Macbook Pro for the bigger screen (I inherited the one I am using) instead of a regular Macbook.

When you bootcamp it, make sure to format the partition for NTFS with the XP CD, because XP won't recognize Mac's attempt to create a NTFS partition.

Edited by bberkley

Vostro 1510 Qty 1

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional Unit Price $1,372.00

Catalog Number: 4 BQDW52Z

Bases Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional

LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™

Memory 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

Video Cards Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drives 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with Free Fall Sensor

Fingerprint Reader Fingerprint Reader and UPEK Protector Suite software

Adobe Software Adobe® Reader 8.1

Optical Drives 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability, with Roxio Creator

Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless Cards Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card

Camera and Digital Microphone Integrated 1.3 mega pixel Web Camera and Digital Microphone

Productivity Software Microsoft Office Sm Business Ed 2007 -includes Publisher + Outlook 2007

Customized Pictaflex LCD Back No Customerization LCD Option

Antivirus/Security Suite (Pre-install) No Anti-Virus/ Security Software

Primary Battery 58 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service

DataSafe No Online Data Back Up Installed

PC Tune UP No Dell Automated PC Tune Up Installed

Dell Support and PC Tuneup DellNetwork Assistant 1.7

Bluetooth Wireless Wireless 360 Bluetooth Internal for XP

Purchase Intent Purchase is Not Intended for Resale

Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Label

Labels Windows XP®

SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DELL

Dell Part# A1139355

TOTAL:$1,397.00

That would be real close to what I'd want.

Today. Right this minute.

Wish I could afford a mac, and yes I know where to find the refurbished ones! :cheers:

FM

We use the D630s..

Without knowing what you need to run on it..

Do you really need all those apps in Small Business?

You might see if Star Office (SUN) gives you what you need.

I priced it out a little differently.. faster CPU and bigger cache, the rest looks about the same. and it came out cheaper?

There's ways to pair it down, but expensive to upgrade later.

FWIW, everybody has to stop selling PCs with XP installed on them in mid June (with minor exceptions for the super-tiny minil-laptops that can't run Vista or if you're a HugeMegaCorp with a volume deal..). I really like the Dell 1330 if you can find one with XP.

I have a Macbook at work with OS X Leopard on it and Bootcamp, and dual boot to XP. Its a whole lot slower to load XP than a PC-based laptop.

Leopard ships with Bootcamp, so you can partition your Mac OS and dual boot without running a VM. It has all the drivers you need.

I would get a Macbook Pro for the bigger screen (I inherited the one I am using) instead of a regular Macbook.

When you bootcamp it, make sure to format the partition for NTFS with the XP CD, because XP won't recognize Mac's attempt to create a NTFS partition.

Respectfully, I didn't recommend Bootcamp. I recommended VM Fusion. I'm still waiting to find the drawback running VM Fusion over running a dedicated Wintel laptop. It's faster. More stable. 1000X easier to backup the OS and protect my data. More flexible. Handles all my hardware transparently. Boots within seconds if I simply save the OS at it's last state rather than "shutting down."

I'm not saying that a Mac solution is always better than a PC solution, but for running XP - VM on the Mac sure is better for me. :)

Drink the Apple Macintosh Kool Aid. You'll be glad you did.

I am posting this on a Mac Book Pro. See how nice my post comes out, how everything is spelled correctly and it is formatted properly? Try doing that on a PC! :D

HP still sells XP Pro on laptops. You have to click into the "Small and Medium Business" products, not Home, to find them. It is interesting that MS is finally, inexorably, pulling the plug. There are some VERY high dollar CAD tools which do not install into Vista.

As for Office, I decided not to buy Office and I am using OpenOffice which is not perfectly like Office but is close, and free.

Lee

Well, I spent the last couple of days shopping. I checked with Dell, HP, Toshiba and Apple. The Apple was out of my price range. Each had an only one offering with XP, in 15" models only. HP only offered a Compaq model that did not have bells and whistles that I wanted. Toshiba and HP would not allow me to upgrade processors from what was offered with their XP units. None offered a 14" model with XP. The Dell Vostros that I liked were commercial offerings only. That really bummed me out because I REALLY liked the Vostro 1410. I have had a Dell Inspiron since 05 and have been pleased with it. So, I decided to go with the Dell Inspiron. Here is what I got:

1 223-3191 Inspiron 1520, Intel Core 2 Duo T7250, 2.0GHz, 800Mhz 2M L2 Cache

1 313-5395 Jet Black Color with Matte Finish

1 311-7215 2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm

1 320-5461 High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1440x900)

1 320-5457 Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

1 341-4768 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

1 420-4775 Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 English

1 313-5812 XP DELL RESOURCE ,BACK-UP DVD 1520

1 420-7024 Media Direct 3.5

1 430-0493 Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron

1 420-7468 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP

1 313-5197 8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

1 420-8183 Roxio Creator DE 10

1 313-4783 Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0

1 430-2680 Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

1 320-5691 Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam

1 312-0525 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Prim

1 461-3063 No ISP Requested

1 420-8051 Microsoft Works 9.0, English For Inspiron

1 950-3338 2 Year Limited Warranty

1 900-8221 Warranty Support,1 Year Extended

1 987-5368 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year(s)

1 960-7161 Type 3- Third Party At HomeService, 24x7 TechnicalSupport, 1 Year Extended

1 987-5427 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year

1 983-3070 Type 3- Third Party At HomeService, 24x7 TechnicalSupport, Initial Year

1 960-2780 Warranty Support,Initial Year

1 987-4817 Insp Datasafe 3GB,1YR(Incl in price),DHS

I got this for $836.00, (tax and shipping included). I got an upgraded processor to allow upgrade to Vista when it becomes absolutely necessary. I figure that is not a bad buy. BTW, my wife found this website: http://www.techbargains.com/. I was able to get about $350 in discounts on this computer through this website. They have plenty of other offers too. Worth looking at because as built, this system was about $1200.

Again, thanks for the feedback and help.

Edited by Jack Suber

• 2 months later...