Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recipe for TG in my .45?

Jay6

4.3 Titegroup with 230 FMJ Montana Gold, Sierra the CMJ Montana Gold and Raniers all gave about the same around 740 f/s and all made the Major PF.

Chrono out of your gun though.

4.3 Titegroup with 230 FMJ Montana Gold, Sierra the CMJ Montana Gold and Raniers all gave about the same around 740 f/s and all made the Major PF.

I agree. Chrono out of your gun. I get the same (740 fps) with 4.5 grains of TG under a Zero 230 FMJ in the Winter. In the Summer I drop it to 4.4 grains and still get faster velocities. TG is very temperature sensitive. For a major match always chrono at the coldest temps you think it might be.

I wouldnt expect tight group to work very well in 45 acp. Tight group takes up very little room per grain. That fact becomes a problem in a .40 case loaded to minor pf. any thing lower than about 140pf and your SD and the group size starts opening up. I would expect the larger case of a 45 acp would make this problem even worse. That's probably why Clays is so popular in 45 acp. Clays takes up an enormous amount of room higher case density translates to smaller SD's and tighter groups. Unless you are trying to load powder you allready have or you are using Tight group for 9mm or 40 major and just want servicable 45 blasting ammo there are much better powders specifically for 45.

I wouldnt expect tight group to work very well in 45 acp. Tight group takes up very little room per grain. That fact becomes a problem in a .40 case loaded to minor pf. any thing lower than about 140pf and your SD and the group size starts opening up. I would expect the larger case of a 45 acp would make this problem even worse. That's probably why Clays is so popular in 45 acp. Clays takes up an enormous amount of room higher case density translates to smaller SD's and tighter groups. Unless you are trying to load powder you allready have or you are using Tight group for 9mm or 40 major and just want servicable 45 blasting ammo there are much better powders specifically for 45.

TiteGroup works great in 45 ACP cases. It was actually designed for large cases like 45 Long Colt because it is not case position sensitive. That said. It is more accurate in larger loads. For 45 ACP the minimum charge for a 230 grain FMJ according to Sierra's data which I trust to be accurate is 4.5 grains pushing the bullet out of their test Colt Gold Cup at 750 fps. The maximum load of 5.2 grains is listed to be their overall best accuracy load for 45 ACP of all the many powders listed for 230 FMJ (ETA: which by the way does not include Clays). The minimum load is plenty accurate mind you, but if you go lower it may make a difference.

Clays on the other hand, well, you're at maximum pressures just to make major in 45 ACP. It's not very versatile. For me personally, it also doesn't meter well.

Edited by Steve J

Yep.

TG ran good in my gun but I switched to Clays because it was cleaner. I had trouble with Clays metering in a Dillon - until I thoroughly cleaned out the powder die and cleaned the rest of the press so it ran smooth.

Lee

230gr. Hornady HAP with an OAL of 1.25. Anyone use something similar? What do you put in it for a charge of tight group?

It takes 4.6gr TG for my .45 to make major. Recommend loading 10% lower and work up with a chrono.

BK

4.5 gr of titegroup gave me about 175. 4.3 made major, but 4.5 still felt good and gave me plenty of margin.

What was your OAL?

Ah, yes. That's very important. I've edited my post above accordingly.

I agree. Chrono out of your gun. I get the same (740 fps) with 4.5 grains of TG under a Zero 230 FMJ in the Winter. In the Summer I drop it to 4.4 grains and still get faster velocities. TG is very temperature sensitive. For a major match always chrono at the coldest temps you think it might be.

The edit function has gone away so let me add that my OAL is 1.25 with a full turn of the Lee factory crimp die.

I shoot both a Single Stack and a 625... my load is also a 230 Zero or MG on 4.5 grains of TG...oal 1.25. It makes Major in both guns.

It is...VERY temp. sensitive as has been mentioned. My PF has dropped into the minor range with 40 degree bullets out of my car trunk.

4.3 out of my 5" 625 and 1911 with Heinie barrel and 230gr molycoat. Handy because that's the same charge I use for my G35 with 180gr molycoat, so I don't have to mess with the powder bar when switching calibers. That being said, I'm switching to Clays as I move to the revolver, since a clean cylinder makes a big difference in reloads.

H.

I shoot 5.0 gr of TG with a 200 gr precision bullet at 1.25" in my 5" 625 to make about a 170 pf. I also shoot this same load in my SA mil spec single stack. The only drawback I've seen is that a less than adequate crimp will give big deviations in velocity. I discovered the locking nut on my crimping die had come loose after almost going minor at A6 a couple of years ago. I reset it and all is good again.

I would suggest starting somewhere around the 4.5 gr mark and working up. Your gun will shoot different than anybody Else's and if you happen to have a tight barrel, well the pressures go up. Crono and look for pressure signs.

dj