Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech screws?

D.Hayden

I'm sure this happens often.. but I haven't had the issue before.

I'm trying to change out a holster attachment, and the 'nuts' just spin.

Since they're recessed, I can't get a grip on them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

I had that with my DOH. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to hold the back in place and far enough from the screw for me to be able to turn it. I scratched the plastic but got the screws out - then promptly replaced them with some leftovers ones from an old holster I took apart.

I switch between the TekLok and whatever you call the other type hanger, and between straight to the belt and the DOH hanger alot, and whenever the backing turns, I back out, start again until it doesnt turn, and have always been able to tighten it all the way without any tools outside of the screwdriver. Sometimes I do have to switch screws/backings around, but have always managed to make them work without messing with tools. If the thread are boogered up, a pack of screws and backings are only about $5 from BladeTech. Good Luck!

Usually when that happens the threads are slightly messed up, as mentioned above, but I have seen some of the new screws with LocTite on the threads. If your screws have a patch of blue on the threads then that's the problem, email me and I'll send you some screws that should work.

I have extra parts, thanks for the offer.

I think I have 5 different Blade-Techs.. never had it this bad. This one is brand new, and I can' remove any of the 3 (taking off the sting ray and putting on a TekLok).

I can't get any purchase on the backs.. they're all far enough from the edge, nothing reaches well. I tried wedging rubber into the back to grip it.. so it would hold.. no good there either.

I was hoping there might be some trick to it.. maybe that means a drill press.. lol

Very carefully let a little super glue wick around the outside edge of the "nut", that should hold it while you take the screw out, then tap/pound it out when its apart.

Very carefully let a little super glue wick around the outside edge of the "nut", that should hold it while you take the screw out, then tap/pound it out when its apart.

A little: didn't work.. alot: got one of the 3... I'll try the others again tomorrow.

Under the screw, it looks rusty, or at least rust color, but the screw itself doens't show rust. Is there a rust-colored loktite?

Mine had red loctite on the screws and was very difficult to remove the first time. I dremeled slots into the nuts, as was said above, to remove them the first time. Once the screws were out I glued the nuts into place so I can take off the DOH attachment easier in the future.

• 4 years later...

Note: Threads merged. - Admin.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks for getting these screws out when they seize up? I tried to remove the DOH attachment on mine, only to get to the last one and find it was seized, and I couldn't think of a way to hold the non-slotted side.

Note: Threads merged. - Admin.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks for getting these screws out when they seize up? I tried to remove the DOH attachment on mine, only to get to the last one and find it was seized, and I couldn't think of a way to hold the non-slotted side.

Needle nose pliers to hold it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Use a small piece of rubber like a bicycle inner tube or one of those rubber jar openers to hold the nut still. It will provide enough friction to keep it from spinning.

Use a small piece of rubber like a bicycle inner tube or one of those rubber jar openers to hold the nut still. It will provide enough friction to keep it from spinning.

Tried that one. No joy. Looks like I'll have to dremel out a slot if/when I ever get it out.

(Note to admins: Sorry about that!)

I wish Bladetech used pronged tee nuts like Safariland does.

On the latest BT DOH I got, the tension screws' nuts are tab base weld nuts, whereas the rest are the standard round base weld nuts that are such a PITA. It would probably take a bunch of retooling, but using the tab base weld nuts throughout (and adjusting the molds to lock them in) would be a great change and maybe even better than using pronged tee nuts.

That being said, there's something on the threads of the nuts that attach the holster to the DOH, perhaps some sort of anti-sieze (maybe just grease). All it required was a finger on the nut to get the screws out.