Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

caliber dia.

benny hill

Benny you can't go with the caliber designation to determine the actual diameter, there is some creative fudging done when naming cartridges, some use bore diameter, some use bullet diameter, and others whatever they want.

your best bet is to get the actual bullet and measure it.

trapr

Wikepedia lists it at .2236 Several other sources I have found all list it at between .218 and .220. I actually found the original specification sheets but I dont read Russian very well.

I started a thread many moons ago on the 5.45 when I noticed how cheap the ammo was compared to 5.56. Several problems emerged, Some was corrosive, allmost all of the inexpensive ammo was steel core or had enough steel to stick to a magnet so wouldnt be allowed at matches, bullet diameter may not make .223 which in many games is specified minimum size by rule.

IIRC, the 5.45x39 uses the same nominal bullet diameter as the .220 Russian (parent case of the 22 and 6 PPC). The Wolf I had in the shop mic'd .219 however Wolf .223 tends to run small so I wouldn't be surprised if the 5.45 should have been .220.

Just to muddy the waters a little further:

The designation of a cartridge has several methods and some simple misstatements of fact.

The bore diameter is used sometimes: .303 British, .300 Win Mag, 7.62 Nato .270 Win, 25'06

The groove diameter is chosen other times, .308 Win, .257 Roberts, .357 Magnum

Sometimes the bullet diameter has nothing to do with it: 44 Magnum is actually .429

Old designations may come from the diameter of the cartridge case: .38 Special

So the which of these the Russians chose for the 5.45X39 is open for debate,

Ammo Guide says it takes a .224 bullet.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a couple barrels in 5.45x39.

I used pac-nor blanks and I think they were 0.221"

Mags were the real issue though.

I never got the ammo to stack properly.

This was a while back though so maybe the 6.8 mags will work with them.

C-Products was supposed to be making a specific mag for them, but I don't know how successful they have been.

I think you would need a mag with more curve to it, like an AK mag.

C-Products generally keeps the shape of the mag the same, but changes the internal rib thickness.