Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wacky CA handgun laws. Help me out CA shooters!

enemyofone

This is from the assistant DA in Ca. (kinda rhymie)

Bill Lockyer's letterhead is on the first pda.

Sorry I could not find a way to post them directly, comming from a pda.

This is the source of my information and I have it printed out (hard copy as well), so there is no problem discussing this on the internet. One must remember, it is a LAW that hi-cap magazines must have been owned prior to the ban in 2000.

Ron

DOJ_Clarification_StandardCapMags_p1.zip

DOJ_Clarification_StandardCapMags_p2.zip

DOJ_Clarification_StandardCapMags_p3.zip

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called CA DOJ the other day to ask about bringing in some frames to build guns on. The bottom line of the conversation was the "a frame is not a firearm as far as DOJ is concerned so you cannot register it" and if at some point I did build the frame into a complete gun "there would be no legal way for me to register the gun if I had been in the state longer than 60 days". So bottom line was no bringing in frames, only complete handguns.

~Mitch

I called CA DOJ the other day to ask about bringing in some frames to build guns on. The bottom line of the conversation was the "a frame is not a firearm as far as DOJ is concerned so you cannot register it" and if at some point I did build the frame into a complete gun "there would be no legal way for me to register the gun if I had been in the state longer than 60 days". So bottom line was no bringing in frames, only complete handguns.

~Mitch

Not true. I know someone who brought to CA over 10 frames. Registered them all. DOJ sent back paperwork acknowledging them. Some were subsequently transfered to others, including me, as frames.

I do not know who you spoke with but they should not be answering peoples questions. They were wrong.

Lawyers won't answer your questions until you are faced with charges and have paid them.

Definitive answers, you're dealing with law here. You can make an argument for everything.

• 2 weeks later...
Have any of you guys ever been able to build a limited gun on an STI frame after the ban?

Many. It is perfectly legal if you have a source for the frame and have pre ban mags. What ban are you referring to? Disregard the comments here about the DOJ. There are many good folks working the telephone help line there. Beware of folks giving advice that dont have the balls to post here with their full name.

Edited by larry cazes

Did'nt know if you could build build a pistol using the frame since they are a non-legal Cali firearm. I was thinkin building a limited pistol but using the 10 round mags with a 2011 frame short or long.

Transfers among private (non Dealer) california residents for guns already in the state are exempt from the drop/safety test list. All you need to know to educate yourself in this area is on the DOJ website and the helpline folks are paid to answer any questions you may have as well. I believe that 10 round mags are available from SV.

Just a few thoughts from an 01 in NorCal,

- You can buld a semi-auto AR-15 in CA on an offlist receiver as long as you don't create an assault weapon in the process i.e. if there is a pistol grip, it must have a mag locking device that takes time and a "tool" to remove and a magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds is NOT EVER inserted into it OR a pistolgripless build can accept pre-ban hi-cap mags with a regular mag release button. As was stated, registered AWs owned and "registered" with CA DOJ at the time of the ban are allowed as many "evil" features and the owner can dream of.

- Calguns.net is the authority for info on AR ownership in CA (period). A large group of Kalifornians who've researched and share openly about the laws of the land are going to give you better info than those that speculate without being in the state; definately NOT referring to this site.

- You can bring whatever handguns/frames into the state with you that you'd like/ can afford and register all of them when you arrive (within 60 days is what the laws read); you can send the form in + the $$$ OR "register" them through a PPT with another CA resident. No assault weapons, SBR/SBSs, silencers, or other Class 3 stuff without permits from the state or exempt for military duty, etc.

- Open guns have to have the comp permanently affixed to the barrel as threaded barrels are illegal, but silver soldered or welded/pinned comps on them aren't.

- As discussed, your Hi-Cap mags aren't legal to import into the state unless you owned them before the ban. It is however an enhancement and not typically a reason LE is going to tag you, unless of course you decide to use your $4k open gun to do drive bys with... There have been NO documented cases of folks being prosecuted for hi-cap mag possession as a stand alone charge. Someone show case law/a documented example and I'll eat my words...

- Don't discuss "off color" topics in a public forum, you'd be surprised who's watching, um, no really...

If you want further/specific info, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Franksremote

If you can't call the DOJ to get answers, who the heck are you supposed to get info from? I suppose I gotta pay some lawyer like $400/hour to get a definitive answer :(

Depending on the topic, the answers are more vague than definitive.

If you can't call the DOJ to get answers, who the heck are you supposed to get info from? I suppose I gotta pay some lawyer like $400/hour to get a definitive answer :(

Depending on the topic, the answers are more vague than definitive.

You guys have vastly different experiences than me. I have been calling them for 6+ years now and have never received a vague answer from the DOJ. Now if you ask about a grey area, expect to get a grey answer :) OLL ARs are definitely in the grey and will be for a long time but building handguns within the bounds of the assault weapon ban and the drop/safety list is black and white.

Bring the gun, followers, springs and tubes. ("repair kits") leave the base pads.

The mags you had before 2000. period

Burdon of proof is on them.

you can do a search on calguns.net I know it's hard to weed through it all