Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wacky CA handgun laws. Help me out CA shooters!

enemyofone

1). > 10 round mags are greandfathered ONLY if you PERSONALLY posessed them in CA before the Caliban. No, you can't legally buy a pre-ban mag from someone else, and a newcomer to CA will have no credible way to assert they personally possessed them in CA before the cutoff date.

2). CA does make arrests and initiates felony persecutions (no, that is not a misspelling) for possession of items such as 30 round AR mags (one felony count per magazine)

3). AR15 style and many other semi automatics not legal for civilian possession without a permit for the specific gun by serial number - and the one time deadline to obtain such permits has passed. Ditto for any 50BMG rifle.

1) He stated he lived in CA prior to going to college. That qualifies him as being able to own the hi-caps PRIOR to the ban.

2) If you are going to talk about the AR type(s) of weapons .....all bets are off. Completely different set of laws. Nebulus at best.

Yes, I keep up with what the DOJ publishes. And your right.....Don't fool around with the AR stuff!

3) Wrong, many types of ARs are legal in CA. You just have to know the laws and what is allowed and what is not.

see link for AR requirments.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Ron

Stayin' legal everyday

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron,

On the residency. If he filed taxes in Idaho, as a resident, yep...no longer a CA resident. In the last 10 years I've lived in Arizona, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia and now North Carolina. In ALL cases I've maintained my California residency for the specific reason of not giving DOJ a chance to tell me that I haven't been a resident before the ban.

Second on AR's, what Rob is referring to is those of us that have AR's registered as assault weapons that we had to do in 2000/2001 and can do whatever we want to them. I don't have to a MonsterMan or other retarded grip on mine to be legal. Literally do whatever I want (minus anything NFA/Class 3) and it's legal, where the OLL's are limited to still the physical characteristics ban.

To the original poster, there are options. Since you're going with a G34, you're pretty "limited" to Production anyways as a division to shoot so the hi-cap mag issue is a non one anyways. Frankly I have a ton of 10 rounders that I specifically use for my G34 in matches so I don't accidentally load more than 10. That automatic bump to Limited division would suck and having had to warn 2 folks yesterday of it, know that RO's are watching (at least this one is).

It comes down to if you established Idaho residency during your time in school. If you did, then play it safe and ditch the hi-caps. It's just not worth it. If you didn't, then you 'could' bring them but again, I'd hedge to the side of caution and again, let them go. If you want to swap for 10 rounders, let me know and I'll swap you some.

On the subject of 'forbidden frames' it's a personal choice. Totally legal, but definitely do declare them as soon as you can.

Take care,

Rich

Wrong, many types of ARs are legal in CA.

If it doesn't operate in semi automatic mode and accept a standard detachable AR magazine, I don't consider it an "AR Style" gun and, given that definition and my qualifier regarding grandfathered permits, I believe my statement is correct. Of course, others may disagree on what is an "AR style" gun. I realize there are special purpose guns built on the AR platform that don't accept detachable magazines, but I hardly consider those "AR style" guns.

It all depends on the definition of the term I used, but my point is that you may not legally own an AR15 style gun that operates in semi automatic mode and accepts standard AR15 magazines unless you obtained registration papers during the limited window allowed.

If there is a provision for buying a new AR15 that takes standard magazines and operates in semi automatic mode, please correct me so I can update my knowledge.

Wrong, many types of ARs are legal in CA.

If it doesn't operate in semi automatic mode and accept a standard detachable AR magazine, I don't consider it an "AR Style" gun and, given that definition and my qualifier regarding grandfathered permits, I believe my statement is correct. Of course, others may disagree on what is an "AR style" gun. I realize there are special purpose guns built on the AR platform that don't accept detachable magazines, but I hardly consider those "AR style" guns.

It all depends on the definition of the term I used, but my point is that you may not legally own an AR15 style gun that operates in semi automatic mode and accepts standard AR15 magazines unless you obtained registration papers during the limited window allowed.

If there is a provision for buying a new AR15 that takes standard magazines and operates in semi automatic mode, please correct me so I can update my knowledge.

I think the key words here are "I don't consider it an "AR Style" gun"

The 58 individual District Attorneys consider otherwise.

Being as we were speaking of legalities, the DOJ is the final authority in CA of what is considered an AR Style rifle.

Having said that, and not wanting to ruffle any feathers or be accused of being a "Troll". I will whole heartedly agree that it is a crying shame that we here in CA have to neuter our rifles..Post ban... For the few lucky individuals that purchased ARs prior and registered them Pre-ban, awesome for you, way to go. Most of us were not that lucky. We have to abide by the current laws.

Monster Man grip is an abomination on a classic AR. I myself have a pinned fix mag. neutered to 10 rounds. I have to break it open to reload, but I have gotten fairly fast at "PeZ reloading". We must play by the law no matter how inane it is.

I did not, and was not intending to start an argument. Only stating what I know of CA law, been here now 51 years.

"If there is a provision for buying a new AR15 that takes standard magazines and operates in semi automatic mode, please correct me so I can update my knowledge."

Yes, follow the link I have already posted. It opens up a PDF AR15 CA Legal Flow Chart. "Standard magazine" in CA is 10rnds. We are discussing CA laws and not the free states in America. :)

You CAN Grandfather in Hi-Cap magazines if you owned them prior to 1/1/2000

You CAN rebuild them completely

You CAN purchase hi-cap tubes to repair hi-cap magazines owned prior to 1/1/2000

Hi-cap being anything over 10 rnds.

Ron

Didn't mean to start anything, If I have offended anyone in any way it was unintentional

Rich,

You mentioned accidently loading more than 10 rnds. is an auto bump, are hi-cap mags allowed as long as they are loaded to 10 or less?

We're talking IPSC correct? IDPA is 10, here anyway.

Thanks,

Ron

Rich,

You mentioned accidently loading more than 10 rnds. is an auto bump, are hi-cap mags allowed as long as they are loaded to 10 or less?

We're talking IPSC correct? IDPA is 10, here anyway.

Thanks,

Ron

Yes, non-neutered mags are legal in Production and L10. Accidentally having a mag containing 11 rounds after the start signal (or any other division criteria busting move or equipment) results in a move to OPEN, not Limited, per rule 6.2.5.1.....

Nik,

That is a big jump! Straight into the alligator pit.

Thanks for the answer.

Again, I feel badly and sincerely do not wish to offend anyone with my previous comments. I like it here on B.E. and do not wish to be banned for being argumentitive.

The information here is astounding

Thanks for letting me join the fine people here at B.E.

Ron

Pretty harsh. Other than the round count the gun still conforms to the rules of Limited. Looks like I need to review the rules again and make a pitch to the rules folks.

Rich

Rich,

appropriate punishment for shooters who fail to comply with division requirements --- it's not limited to the ten round thing only; you can bust Limited and get moved to Open. My take -- the rule needs to be consistent for all infractions in all divisions -- unfortunately that's sometimes going to bite.....

• 1 month later...

Can someone please confirm that an STI that I own prior to moving to CA is legal? I have read the posts and the law, but don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it. I lived in CA from 1998 to 2004 and are considering moving back.... with an STI Edge.

I realize I can't bring the hi caps... so what mags do you guys use?

Seth

If you had the hi caps before you left, you can bring them back. As far as guns, as long as there's no legal reason you can't possess firearms, you can bring almost anything you want...except 50 BMG and assault weapons.

So does that leave ONLY the 126mm mags?

I believe it leaves 10 rd mags only. There used to be 10 rd 140mm mags. Now there are only 126mm 10rd mags. I think you could use either if you can find the older ones. They might work better with the current big magwells.

You can modify greater than 10 round magazines, but the modification has to be permanent, i.e. if you tried to undo the modification, the magazine would be destroyed.

AH HA! Is there a solution commercially available or do I need to fab one?

You could manufacture a "plug" similar to a shotgun magazine plug, install it and test for function. However, it must be permanently fitted to the magazine. Epoxy would work on the magazine base pad to tube connection....but you could never clean the tube or change the spring / follower after that. You might be better off just buying new 10 rnd. magazines from S_I.

I just took possession of a new Bar-Sto Precision .40, it came with the magazine base pad and "plug" riveted together...........I hope I never drop them in the mud........ :angry2: Short of an ultrasonic cleaner bath I don't see how I could clean them......

Ron

You can modify greater than 10 round magazines, but the modification has to be permanent, i.e. if you tried to undo the modification, the magazine would be destroyed.

If I were contemplating this I would consult with an attorney who specializes in firearms law. Pay one for an hour of his time and fully understand the law and any implications to what you are planning. I also would NOT discuss this on a public forum.