Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wacky CA handgun laws. Help me out CA shooters!

enemyofone

I currently live in Boise, ID and am about to move to CA within the next 6 months or so. I have been hearing alot that California is really strict on magazine capacity and that your only allowed to own a 10 round capacity mag. Is anyone familar with this law. The Glock im looking to purchase comes with 2 17 round mags, so will I not be able to use those in any matches I shoot in CA? Also if any of you know of any other wacky CA handgun laws that effect shooters of uspsa please let me know. Thanks for the help guys!!!! :roflol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be in the same boat (although coming from WA). I'm told by a good friend in the Bay Area (who is an LE) leave my AR behind, my Saiga, even my 10/22 with the folding stock. Can't bring any full capacity mags into the state either. My open gun (still being built) will be an "assault weapon" as it's a pistol with a removable magazine and a threaded barrel. I'll likely just be shooting L10, Production and Rev if/when I move, at least in the beginning until I get the ins and outs figured out.

~Mitch

ok, thats what I have heard. the guy at my local outdoors store told me that basically they dont want you bringing any hi-cap mags in, but as long as you purchase like 2 10 round mags and keep the hi-caps and just never tell them you ever had them, you should be ok. so I guess if you shoot comp. in CA you can only use 10 rnd mags, or can you use your hi-cap mags and just hope the law doesnt find out? by the way mitch, are you going to be moving into the bay area? ill be moving to the east bay, let me know if you find any cool clubs or gun shops that are uspsa friendly in the area. the only club in the east bay that shoots uspsa that I could find was the richmond gun club.

-ryan

I currently live in Boise, ID and am about to move to CA within the next 6 months or so. I have been hearing alot that California is really strict on magazine capacity and that your only allowed to own a 10 round capacity mag. Is anyone familar with this law. The Glock im looking to purchase comes with 2 17 round mags, so will I not be able to use those in any matches I shoot in CA? Also if any of you know of any other wacky CA handgun laws that effect shooters of uspsa please let me know. Thanks for the help guys!!!! :roflol:

Hi there,

First of all, there is a website for everything: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

Yup, we got some "wacky" laws but we are also the state with the greatest number of USPSA shooters in the country! You are correct on the >10 round mags. You can not import high caps into the state, period. If you were a resident of Ca prior to 1 Jan 2000 and have not moved out and in since then, any >10 round mags you possessed prior to then are legal to have now.

We also have an "approved" handgun list where the guns have to be "safety" tested before they can be sold here. You can get Glocks but you can not buy STI guns here. You could bring one (or more) in, but you can't buy new ones here. You can buy or sell non-listed guns directly to / from an individual (through an FFL) however. You will also have to turn in a "new resident handgun ownership report" within 60 days of moving here.

Welcome to CA. What part of the state will you be moving to? If you come to SoCal, you will be able to shoot at least 1 match every weekend all year long! And that is just USPSA...

Later,

Chuck

PS: I am not a lawyer or an angel so you could possibily wind up in jail, hell, or both if you listen to me. BTW: The high-cap importation is a FELONY violation. You may not want to wind up married to Bubba just for a hobby.

Edited by ChuckS

chuck,

thanks for the info. so looks like im going to have to buy 4 new 10 round mags :angry2: . that sucks because now im only going to be able to use my hi-cap mags when i go hunting each year in oregon & idaho.

actually id better not chance holding onto those 17 rd mags. so i guess the question now is, does anyone have a pair of 10 rd mags that fit a glock 34 to trade for a pair of brand new, never been shot or loaded 17 rd mags? ca really sux sometimes man! :angry2:

Ryan,

Just as an aside, I saw your other thread and from that I am assuming you want to shoot USPSA. For that you will need at least 4 mags. Matches are limited to 32 round stages but a Level-1 match (club match) can go over that. Most production shooters have 4 mag pouches (or more!) on the belt and a mag in the gun. You may think that 51 round to finish a 32 round stage is too much but sometimes excrement occurs. And, I have yet to hear anybody walking off a stage bitchin' that they brought too much ammo!

Later,

Chuck

PS: Oh yeah: Welcome to the Forum! (and sport and Ca!)

chuck-

thanks for the info. guess i should purchase about 5 mags for comp then. if i can trade away these two hi-cap mags, then ill just need to buy 3 which would be awesome considering i still need to buy all the other gear required for uspsa shooting. but before i buy all that stuff im going to go down and watch some matches and see what equipment others are shooting. i just purchased my glock 34 today, but i have shot that gun before and loved it so thats why i decided to just go ahead and get it, but it looks like i got a lot of gear to purchase which should make my wife verrrry happy!

-ryan

I may be in the same boat (although coming from WA). I'm told by a good friend in the Bay Area (who is an LE) leave my AR behind, my Saiga, even my 10/22 with the folding stock. Can't bring any full capacity mags into the state either. My open gun (still being built) will be an "assault weapon" as it's a pistol with a removable magazine and a threaded barrel. I'll likely just be shooting L10, Production and Rev if/when I move, at least in the beginning until I get the ins and outs figured out.

~Mitch

You may be able to bring your AR with you. If it's not classified as an assault weapon by name (see the Cal DOJ website). A lot of questions can be answered on the Calguns forum.

http://www.calguns.net/

ok, thats what I have heard. the guy at my local outdoors store told me that basically they dont want you bringing any hi-cap mags in, but as long as you purchase like 2 10 round mags and keep the hi-caps and just never tell them you ever had them, you should be ok. so I guess if you shoot comp. in CA you can only use 10 rnd mags, or can you use your hi-cap mags and just hope the law doesnt find out? by the way mitch, are you going to be moving into the bay area? ill be moving to the east bay, let me know if you find any cool clubs or gun shops that are uspsa friendly in the area. the only club in the east bay that shoots uspsa that I could find was the richmond gun club.

-ryan

They shoot USPSA at Chabot (Castro Valley) on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. Oakdale shoots on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month. Sacramento shoots on various weekends (check their website).

Hi there,

First of all, there is a website for everything: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

Yup, we got some "wacky" laws but we are also the state with the greatest number of USPSA shooters in the country! You are correct on the >10 round mags. You can not import high caps into the state, period. If you were a resident of Ca prior to 1 Jan 2000 and have not moved out and in since then, any >10 round mags you possessed prior to then are legal to have now.

We also have an "approved" handgun list where the guns have to be "safety" tested before they can be sold here. You can get Glocks but you can not buy STI guns here. You could bring one (or more) in, but you can't buy new ones here. You can buy or sell non-listed guns directly to / from an individual (through an FFL) however. You will also have to turn in a "new resident handgun ownership report" within 60 days of moving here.

Welcome to CA. What part of the state will you be moving to? If you come to SoCal, you will be able to shoot at least 1 match every weekend all year long! And that is just USPSA...

Later,

Chuck

PS: I am not a lawyer or an angel so you could possibily wind up in jail, hell, or both if you listen to me. BTW: The high-cap importation is a FELONY violation. You may not want to wind up married to Bubba just for a hobby.

Chuck,

What about Barsto? Don't they make guns under an STI license that are California approved?

Please don't move out here. I'm begging you for the sake of your freedom. Get another job someplace else, do something else, just don't set your feet in this state.

thanks for the concern a-shot. i actually lived in CA my whole life till i moved to idaho 3 years ago to finish up my school at boise state university. well im done with that, and unfortunately all the high paying jobs are in CA. the plan is only to live there for the next 5-10 years at max till my wife and i can save up enough money to buy some land in another western state. but you gotta make the best of a bad situation right? CA is a nice place to live, minus the over crowding and stupid gun laws.

Hi there,

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

What about Barsto? Don't they make guns under an STI license that are California approved?

Yeah, I forgot about that. There was a local guy who was working with them and then wasn't. etc. I lost track of the soap opera. That would be a possibility. SVI had a gun on the list. I hear they know how to get the job done. But, as our more opportunistic brethren point out above, it will cost a premium to get one of those platforms together and you still have the mag issue. Glock seem like a very good place to start!

Later,

Chuck

Ryan,

Religious Shooter has offered some good advise.

The handgun laws are strange but not without options :)

We cannot buy from an FFL a frame or complete handgun that is not on the safe list but can but it from a private party (non-FFL)

You can bring these frames, like a Caspian or S_I in with you when you move and simply declare them with the CA-DOJ. As long as you are not prohibited from owning them you are good to go. Once registered, you can sell them to anyone you like.

We have seen S_I frames go for 200 - 300 over MSRP. If you have the money, it would be a wise investment. There are many of us that have hicap mags legally and might want another gun built or we want to shoot a widebody in L10 which is perfectly legal.

Ryan,

Bar-Sto .40 is an option. And a good looking one at that!

I can't speak from experience, (yet) as mine is currently being built by Irv Stone. But have read nothing but positive reviews of it from everyone who has shot it.

Chad Allred (member here) turned me on to the possibility in lieu of the more expensive SV Infinity option. Also on the CA approved list.

I wanted a pistol to shoot both USPSA and IDPA. So I will be sending it back to him for a dust-cover cut and barrel sleeve modification.

If the gun is as well crafted as Barsto Barrels are, I'm sure to be more than pleased with my purchase. I'll post pics after the mods.

Ron

Edited by Renron

thanks for the concern a-shot. i actually lived in CA my whole life till i moved to idaho 3 years ago to finish up my school at boise state university. well im done with that, and unfortunately all the high paying jobs are in CA. the plan is only to live there for the next 5-10 years at max till my wife and i can save up enough money to buy some land in another western state. but you gotta make the best of a bad situation right? CA is a nice place to live, minus the over crowding and stupid gun laws.

Now I'm not advocating circumventing any laws here, however, if you had happened to have left those Hi-cap mags here in CA , say at your parents house, while you were away in college, they would be legal and still yours to use. You cannot sell / give/ barter/ distance loan them, but YOU can use them. (you can also loan them to someone at a range if you are with them).

Hey, I'm just sayin'.

Ron

1). > 10 round mags are greandfathered ONLY if you PERSONALLY posessed them in CA before the Caliban. No, you can't legally buy a pre-ban mag from someone else, and a newcomer to CA will have no credible way to assert they personally possessed them in CA before the cutoff date.

2). CA does make arrests and initiates felony persecutions (no, that is not a misspelling) for possession of items such as 30 round AR mags (one felony count per magazine)

3). AR15 style and many other semi automatics not legal for civilian possession without a permit for the specific gun by serial number - and the one time deadline to obtain such permits has passed. Ditto for any 50BMG rifle.