Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is *only* in reference to shooting, but every goal has a price.

What was your goal?

What was the price you paid?

Did you reach it?

Lesson Learned?

=============================

My goal: To be a contender shooting IPSC.

Price: I drove a worn-out Subaru for well past it's prime and used the money for a new car on ammo.

Did I reach my goal? No. The other price I chose not to pay was practice time and reorganizing / relocationg my life so that I could put in the appropriate amount of practice.

Lesson: If you aren't willing to pay the full price, you will not fully attain your goal.

Edited by EricW

This is *only* in reference to shooting, but every goal has a price.

What was your goal?

What was the price you paid?

Did you reach it?

Lesson Learned?

=============================

My goal: To be a contender shooting IPSC.

Price: I drove a worn-out Subaru for well past it's prime and used the money for a new car on ammo.

Did I reach my goal? No. The other price I chose not to pay was practice time and reorganizing / relocationg my life so that I could put in the appropriate amount of practice.

Lesson: If you aren't willing to pay the full price, you will not fully attain your goal.

Abso f'ing lutely!!!!

It would be refreshing if others in the shooting community would accept that basic fact.

Winning is work!

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Nobody ate Top Ramen? Lost a significant other? Lived like a monk? Depleted their checking account at a terrifying rate and kept at it because they knew that they couldn't be happy if they didn't at least put forth the effort?

What price did you pay? Fess up. ;)

My goal: same as your Eric - To be a contender

My Price: I lost the ability to add & subtract because if I figured out how much money I spent on guns & ammo last year I would probably stop practicing.

Did I reach my goal? I won my class at 1 Area & 5 states last year ... still working on improving those numbers! B)

Sorry Eric..never really had to pay that price. my curse is that I have no talent. :)

to compete at a top level..it takes time and effort. far more than I could ever devote to the sport. Family, bills, work require too much of me to ever make a successful shooting campaign

doing well has always been a goal, and I still try..practice when I can, dryfire when I can, and take some shooting classes here and there.

Edited by eerw

Sorry Eric..never really had to pay that price. my curse is that I have no talent. :)

to compete at a top level..it takes time and effort. far more than I could ever devote to the sport. Family, bills, work require too much of me to ever make a successful shooting campaign

doing well has always been a goal, and I still try..practice when I can, dryfire when I can, and take some shooting classes here and there.

Um, where did you place in production division at double tap this year Stew? Dude, I've been chasing you for 2 1/2 years. I went from C to A and you are still ahead of me. You are getting to GM just fine...

For the shooting sports, I have not been willing to pay the price so have never set the goal in the first place.

I did the "set the goal, pay the price" thing several times costing myself lots of time, money, some wonderful relationships, friendships, etc outside of shooting itself. I may be slow at times, but I do eventually catch on. ;)

So now when I set goals I am more reasonable and set them within limits that contain the price to be paid to an acceptable level from the get-go.

Yeah, it's boring. Maturity and responsibility are like that.

For the shooting sports, I have not been willing to pay the price so have never set the goal in the first place.

I did the "set the goal, pay the price" thing several times costing myself lots of time, money, some wonderful relationships, friendships, etc outside of shooting itself. I may be slow at times, but I do eventually catch on. ;)

Ditto! :)

I do make some sacrifices for shooting however. Sometimes I put off cutting the grass to go to a match.

My goal was to have a good time and meet some like minded people... My goal was exceeded many times. :)

I have been ammo broke many times. To be honest there is more to it than that... otherwise why would I be shooting 900+ rounds a week trying to improve? As to a fixed goal... there really isn't one. As long as I continue to improve and have fun it's all good.

Edited by JThompson

My goal: Have fun shooting.

Price: Putting wife through grad school makes ammo tough to afford, so now I owe cnemikeman bigtime! :)

Did I reach my goal? No. I didn't shoot nearly enough. Maybe next year.

You can have different goals at different points in your shooting life...In '82 I was the "weak link" on our Texas Team Challenge four man shoot...about 6 weeks B4 the match I was determined to NOT be the weak link...dry fired 1.5 hours a day, range 2 hours M, W, and F and shot with my tean S and S each week for those 6 weeks..ended up 3rd individual for the match, behind Chippie McCormick and John Dixon...

In 98, wanted to be dominant in IDPA...again dry fire for about an hour three times a week...range three times a week and shot a match each weekend for 10 weeks...pay off, made Master the first time I shot it for CDP, ESP and SSP...won 21 local matches in a row, and did pretty well for the next 4 yrs, 7 CDP State Championships and a Tx Sr Championship.

2004, tried to get my El Prez as low as I could...again dry fire, and range time 4 days a week...pay off, went from PB of 6.27 down 4 to PB of 4.21 down 4...

My problem is I have too many things I love to do..fly fishing, hunting, clays, live birds, kayaking, and my grandkids...have to pick and choose what I want to be excellent at....being an excellent granddad is the easiest and probably the best...

Edited by tightloop

Haven't done the chuck-it-all thing for shooting, but... did for sailboat racing.

Dropped out of school. Lived out of a sea-bag for a few years. Took crap jobs in boatyards to buy food. Created a "timeline gap" that it took the DoD a long time to figure out when I needed a security clearance.

But...

... had some amazing successes on amazing boats, met (and sailed with/against) some amazing people, in some amazing parts of the world.

Would I do it again? No. But... at the same time, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I'm very happy to have done it.

B