Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Postal Match

Jane

As you may have noticed, IDPA has a web page announcing the Postal Match..

They've enabled folks to send in info as to when local clubs will be putting on the match.

To help people find the match (I know some will want to shoot it more than once in different divisions), please send your info to matchschedule@idpa.com

After you've done so, you might want to post a reply to this thread to keep it bumped to the top for a while.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
just curious..does anybody have digital pics they can post of the postal match? or just email them to me..

Gman,

There are videos on youtoube. Just search on postal match.

dang...thanks...

I was wondering if anybody was going to post times. Since nobody else was I don't mind starting it, I'm just curious as to what is going to be good times for the match.

Corey Estill ESP SS for now

Total time 53.38

Total points down: 11

"Late Deposit" 14.24

Points down for the stage: 1

"Stumped" 10.61

Points down for the stage: 4

"Tourist" 13.91

Points down for the stage: 3

"the Alley" 14.62

Points down for the stage: 3

I think Late Deposit could have been shot about 2-3 seconds faster if I had shot it the way I had originally planned.

Edited by steel1212

I shot it in 60 seconds with a couple major malfuntions due to a bad magazine. I thought I could shoot it again but I just read that they only take the earliest score for each division, not the best score. I guess I can shoot it in another division though. Also it apparently wasn't set up properly and one stage procedure wasn't explained correctly where I shot it. I guess that's the inherent difficulty with such an undertaking.

Edited by Glshooter

Hmm....a local club ran this match last night.

I thought it went pretty well, mostly, and the SO's were scrupulous about setting up the stage exactly as designed, measuring everything.

Stage 1 is problematic, IMO. There's a major shoot-through issue with T3 and T5, as you can see in the stage diagram below. In fact, the stage diagram is a little misleading, since it shows T3 further to the left of the cL than T5. In reality they're almost directly behind one another.

Also the admonition not to re-engage T1 and T2 is odd, as they're at less of angle from P3 than T6.

I looked at some of the YouTube videos of people shooting this stage, and it's interesting....In at least two videos, some shooters should have gotten procedurals on this stage. Here's an example. Note how he's exposed to T6 from P3. You can also see the shoot-through issue.

Stage 2 was ok.

Stage 3 I liked. Reasonably tough shot on the hard-cover target while moving.

Stage 4 -- a bit odd, tactically. You don't see a lot of stages where you have to move up THEN retreat to another position, but it was fun.

Shot the match in 54 sec; esp/ex. Lost a couple seconds on Stage 2, dropping 4 points on the left target, and forgetting initially to put 3 rounds vs. 2 in each target.

stage1.jpg

I agree with you stage 1 wasn't well thought out. There is a way to shoot it that is very gamey. While I didn't do it and did it like everybody else did that day, I should have gamed it like it was set up to do. Completely with in the rules and would have been super fast.

i put T3 2'10" from the edge of T5 thereabouts to keep from the shoot thru...took a string thru the center of T1,and squared off of that..seemed to work good...shot SSP Ex 50.85

So you changed the way the setup was? I don't think its up to the MD to change the setup, if the shoot through is there it needs to be there for everybody.

Edited by steel1212

i put T3 2'10" from the edge of T5 thereabouts to keep from the shoot thru...took a string thru the center of T1,and squared off of that..seemed to work good...shot SSP Ex 50.85

So you changed the way the setup was? I don't think its up to the MD to change the setup, if the shoot through is there it needs to be there for everybody.

from the IDPA forum:

I shot the postal match yesterday and we had an issue with stage one. From position 3 on the left side barrels, targets 3 and 5 are aligned one behind the other if you lean out from the right side. Some shooters were taking advantage of this by firing off 4 quick shots and using the shoot through rule to get hits on 2 different targets. Was it set up wrong where I shot, was it designed so this is possible or is it just poor stage design. Also, it was unsure how far you had to retreat before placing the box on the barrel. In the stage picture it looks like P2 is next to the barrel so the SO's said we have to retreat to a spot so you were at least even with the barrel. All the vids on youtube show people shooting the first two targets quickly then reaching back behind them and placing the box on the barrel so they are already right there at P3.

shooter 2:We also noticed two shoot thru possibilities at the postal match- which was quite surprising as it would have been very easy to modify if they could have. A couple of us shooters were very suprised and asked the MD/SOs. They also noticed this and measured everything to make sure it was the way it was supposed to be.

answer:Good Morning,

We have heard a few questions about stage one. It is hard to make one diagram to really give a totally clear 'picture' of how to set up the stage. Perhaps next time, we will include an overhead plan view of the stages as well. There is supposed to be a gap between the double stacked barrels and the single barrel. That gap is P2, and if the targets are engaged from that point, there should not be any shoot throughs. Most people will then, as you described, shoot T1 and T2 quickly while moving back between the barrels. The shooter can actually just reach behind them and drop the box on the single barrel, 'making the deposit', and then not have to move to start to engage the remaining targets while pie-ing around the double stack barrels.

We did not encounter any problems when we set up the stages for testing. This is all a learning process. We tried to 'ramp it up' a little this year, and we are wondering if it was a bad idea. Perhaps next year the stages could be simpler to set up, and perhaps we can include more diagrams to make it easier to understand.

We know that not every stage will be set up exactly the same at every club that participates. We only ask that everyone set the stages up as best as they can. Obviously, we did not intend for targets to be shot through. The main objective is that everyone enjoys themselves!

Thank you,

i based it off of what i read on the IDPA forum...and not stirring the pot,but if the COF calls for 12 rnds,were 12 rnds fired??,the number of shots must also have been shot in order to complete the COF.. see page 15 rulebook listed under performance PP1 item B...also shoot thrus are describe in the rule book and threats versus nonthreats,not 2 threats combined,there are plenty of COF's that can incure threat shoot thrus while sliceing the pie from one location,if you lean out or move out far enough..from pp47:On a shoot through of a non-threat target that also strikes a threat target, the contestant will get the penalty for the non-threat target hit AND will get credit for the scored hit on the threat target. The reverse also applies when a round on a threat target penetrates a non-threat behind it. Hence the rule of thumb: all shoot throughscount (except on hard cover). so at least if shooters shot the COF as described only with 10 rnds instead of 12,then a 3 sec PE should have been added to the total score...

from the IDPA forum:

I shot the postal match yesterday and we had an issue with....

Where is the IDPA Forum? I only know of one forum for competitive practical pistol shooting. :)

Interesting response. Their stage diagram for #1 is a bit, uh, Escher-esque. How many barrels do you see? 2? 4? 6?? But I'm still amazed they didn't see the shoot-through. T5 was also slid over in our match, as well, to avoid it.

It's clearly not easy running the same IDPA match at different locations in an equitable fashion, but I respect the effort. Really I think the more pathological issue has nothing to do with stage design, but rather the way different clubs define "tactical priority," "low-cover," etc, as evidenced by the youtube clips. They're pretty interesting.

Personally, I think the stage should be shot as the stage was drawn up. Would you change the classifier to make a little harder just because you have a lot of masters in the area? Yeah the shoot through sucks but its part of it, maybe the designers wanted to see how many would use it to the advantage or how many would go for the head shots in stead. Just a humble opinion.

Personally, I think the stage should be shot as the stage was drawn up. Would you change the classifier to make a little harder just because you have a lot of masters in the area? Yeah the shoot through sucks but its part of it, maybe the designers wanted to see how many would use it to the advantage or how many would go for the head shots in stead. Just a humble opinion.

Doesn't matter what the problems are or what level the shooters are... it needs to be consistent. Shoot thrus or not. My 2 cents.