Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Postal Match

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shot the PM 2008 yesterday. I was MD. First, I want to thank the course designers. I know it's often a thankless job. I think the Postal Match is a great idea and I hope it continues. Here are my observations, for what they they're worth:

Stage One ("Deposit") was the most problematic. The directions really didn't cover some of the loopholes in the design. I've read some posts that say shooting through one target into the other target should incur a FTDR penalty. I disagree. IDPA makes it absolutely clear that targets are penetrable. I guess that if you have two bad guys lined up and your blaster will get them both, you should consider going for it. Since the description was mute on this aspect, one can assume the designers either supported the shoot through, or had no opinon. Also, since the end of the instructions encouraged letting shooters choose either side for position #3, all the left hand/right hand business was pretty much nullified. Finally, choosing one side or the other offered the shooter a completely different set of challenges and target engagement possibilities. One would expect a mirror image challenge if the course is designed for left or right handed shooters to choose a different vantage point. BTW, I chose the left-handed side (right side) and never considered the shoot through option - I'm a lefty with too much Karmic debt already.

Stage Two (Stumped") was pretty straightforward. I appreciated the aspect that shooters were able to get in a kneeling position from the start. Our bad-knee folks were very happy about this too.

Stage Three ("Tourists") : This was a pretty good stage. A little cramped, but good. I did get a bunch of questions about the "vision barriers" and if they were penetrable. Not covered in the stage description, but really not an issue. A lot of shooters fuss about such things....

Stage Four ("Alley"): This stage was too cramped. Many shooters were at the barrels before they fired all their shots and ended up "moonwalking" away from the barrel to avoid a procedural. The "gamers" moved so slowly that it was silly. This stage encouraged what I'd call "glacier gunning", which is a good way to get your ticket punched in real life (I know that IDPA is not real life, but it purports to simulate it). If one is taking fire and cover is 2-4 strides away, getting to cover is JOB ONE. (sorry LE instructor editorializing)

I have submitted stages for sanctioned matches and the scrutiny is intense. I'm surprised some of the vague aspects of this match made it through without multiple re-writes.

FINAL SUGGESTION: I'd love to see next year's PM allow clubs to submit stages for consideration for the "final four".

Thanks

-MB

• 2 weeks later...

I just submitted the scores for the Parma, ID club. First off, thanks to Jane and her wonderful software! :cheers: If you are scoring with anything but ForScore you are plum crazy.

I liked the stages, they were simple yet fun stages to shoot. My only critique would be to take away left and right handed options on non symmetrical stages. Stages 1 would have been better if there was not an option. I am a left handed shooter and i don't care if every stage is lefty friendly or not, I just want good stages to shoot.

I also liked how last year the stages were all based on one story line, minor detail, but it was kinda cool.

Thanks again to all you people that put this together, it is great fun.

"how long does it take for IDPA to get the scores up?"

The scoring isn't being done by "IDPA".

While IDPA provided the email address and an ad in the Tactical Journal, the match administration is being done by volunteers.

"how long does it take for IDPA to get the scores up?"

The scoring isn't being done by "IDPA".

While IDPA provided the email address and an ad in the Tactical Journal, the match administration is being done by volunteers.

So how long does it take the IDPA to post on their website the scores calculated by the volunteers of the world match?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know when the scores will be completed?

By the 15th of the month I imagine. See post #33 above. Walt will be downloading result up to midnight EST today. Participation stands at 2095 as of last night. That's double last year by a large margin. Updates are here IDPA Forum

I'm sure they'll be posted here http://www.nepaidpascores.net/postal/index.htm as soon as humanly possible after August 8th.

Hell that is all I wanted and couldn't find it! Thanks Steve! Now I just have to wait until the scores are posted. I'm at least below the avg.

Yeah, I'd say you're a little below average, some might call it something different. :roflol:

I'm sure they'll be posted here http://www.nepaidpascores.net/postal/index.htm as soon as humanly possible after August 8th.

Hell that is all I wanted and couldn't find it! Thanks Steve! Now I just have to wait until the scores are posted. I'm at least below the avg.

Yeah, I'd say you're a little below average, some might call it something different. :roflol:

I knew mid 40s would win it after I shot it. I would have been 7th in my current class now...30th overall out of 2144 people ain't to shabby :-)

Edited by steel1212

I knew mid 40s would win it after I shot it. I would have been 7th in my current class now...30th overall out of 2144 people ain't to shabby :-)

Yep. Not to shabby. I managed 1st in class and 27th overall. :D

No joke, I was 13th in my class and 666 overall. Something demonic going on there, or what? :devil:

Damn, Paul. Taking too many Sundays off to shoot? Naw... I take 'em all off to shoot. That can't be it.

If you shot it in 2 different divisions did you get scored for both? I was going to try to make another one in CDP but didn't make it.

Nice job guys...I'm looking at these names and other than Steve J....olly, Phil Strader, Dan Burwell none of the names sound familiar. Maybe we should have signed up with screen names lol.