Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anyone Know if Dawson...

j0hn

Does Dawson Precision still carry +2 Basepads? I have searched their website top to bottm for them and can only find +1. I know they used to carry them but cannot find them. Does anyone know of is anyone know whre I might be able to get some for an STI?

Thanks,

j0hn

Last I heard there was talk of bringing back a redesigned +2 pad but I haven't had a chance to talk with Dawson about it. If I get a chance I will try and give them a call later today and post what I can find out.

Joe W.

How about a pad that will work in a Dawson funnel and bring a 126mm tube to 141mm ? Seams like everyone has a 126mm tube in there junk drawer or uses it as a Barney mag.

How about a pad that will work in a Dawson funnel and bring a 126mm tube to 141mm ? Seams like everyone has a 126mm tube in there junk drawer or uses it as a Barney mag.

That's a good idea, but it would have to have something like the Arredondo inserts to keep the follower from rolling over and binding. I guess they could make a basepad that had ribs that extend upwards into the tube to meet up with the ribs on the tube itself, but that would seem like a major production. R,

• 3 weeks later...
Does Dawson Precision still carry +2 Basepads? I have searched their website top to bottm for them and can only find +1. I know they used to carry them but cannot find them. Does anyone know of is anyone know whre I might be able to get some for an STI?

Thanks,

j0hn

Dawson no longer sells +2.

If you can find them used, you can safely run them on S_I 140 or smaller tubes (pre/post ban or whatever) in OPEN. Unless you have the right mag, you stand the risk of flunking the guage at a match in Limited/Limited 10.

I have been using +2 in OPEN on SVI mags for two years and never had an issue. Hope that helps.

People were putting the +2 base pads on STI 140 tubes and when the followers got jammed below the ribs in the mags they would blame Dave for the failure. So Dave discontinued the +2 base pads.

On the early 140's the ribs stopped almost 1" from the bottom of the mags. If you added a +2 pad, you could push the follower below the ribs a create the dreaded "baby rattle". Later generation 140's had the ribs go much farther down the mags and essentially solved the "baby rattle" probelm. For me a 140 magazine with a +2 is so close if size/weight to a 170, that I just convered to all 170's. I only use 140's for standards or drop mags.

You might check out the Dawson "Just Right" Tool-less Base Pad Kit for STI. $49.95

Part 300-200 Silver

Part 300-201 Black

Part 300-202 Blue

Part 300-203 Red

Page 24 of the Electronic catalog on the Dawson web site.

"The kit comes with a base pad, tund spring and insert to convert your 21 round magazines to hold 23, 24 and sometimes even 25 rounds with the Just Right kit."

My guess is that this kit IS the +2 base pad with the Arredondo insert to keep the spring/follower from rolling over. Just a thought.

Joe W.

People were putting the +2 base pads on STI 140 tubes and when the followers got jammed below the ribs in the mags they would blame Dave for the failure. So Dave discontinued the +2 base pads.

On the early 140's the ribs stopped almost 1" from the bottom of the mags. If you added a +2 pad, you could push the follower below the ribs a create the dreaded "baby rattle". Later generation 140's had the ribs go much farther down the mags and essentially solved the "baby rattle" probelm. For me a 140 magazine with a +2 is so close if size/weight to a 170, that I just convered to all 170's. I only use 140's for standards or drop mags.

Actually, I have had this conversation with Dave and he suggested that the "early" pre ban STI 140mm tubes were fine. When STI added a few mils onto the post ban tubes they neglected to add length to the ribs as well. This caused the baby rattles with post ban STI tubes and extended pads. Oh Well, doesn't really matter. I switched all of my mags to SV tubes and it has been a non issue with any setup since.