Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best AR for 3 gun

ffl

I am new to the AR market as I am stimulating the ecomony with a new AR for me and my son to shoot. I know about AR's I just don't know what everybody is shooting and what is recommended.

my son is 12 and he is sort of small so a sliding stock is good.

what about chambering .223 or 5.56 nato what is the difference other than tolerance and what is to be shot in it. I know they are interchangeable but bullet weight and rate of twist make a difference.

Help.

yo, it's dave moss, cliff's friend(?)...we've done the iowa SS/Revo thing a couple of times.... anyways, i think a DPMS flat top carbine kit with a LMT SOPMOD stock would work good, and be cheap. of all the collapsibles, i really like that one, great cheek weld. i know you would get the dealio from dmps, so... put a aimpoint or something similar and go to town. i've seen that trijucon has come out with a new reflex sight that looks pretty cool, all passive, no batteries. i might try one of those. you could change it back to the carry-handle w/irons to teach him that too. real light gun, get it w/ the pencil barrel. mine's a SP-1 style, don't think it weighs 6 lbs. now, i wouldn't count on the 375yd. 8" steel shot with it, but it'll work fine for inside of 200 w/ 55 grainers. haven't tried anything heavier in mine, but it's 1-9", so 62, maybe 69's might work. get a miculek comp too. there's a million other combinations, and you really can't have it all in one, you dig? i personally like 20" HBAR's, but i ain't 12. well, parts of me......(i had to do that!) and get a JP trigger, and that gun would rock. i know you guys are pretty mechanical, and putting an AR together ain't rocket science. see you next year......cliff's been talking about the 6-point star he's getting from you. gotta see if i can beat him on it......

Edited by bigsaxdog

Any of the big name 16" flat tops with a Car stock are a great place to start, $ and userability.

I like the Rock River, this is a great quality rifle and if you get it with the factory 2 stage National

Match trigger, you'll be good for 3gun for a while. I think that the Rock River 2 stage trigger is one of

the best ,if not the best , "factory" triggers out there.

You wont beat it for the money or function...

It does not matter how cool the gun is, it is the nut behind the trigger that counts. Please, don't ask how I know this....

I know how he knows this (but it was DEFINITELY a cool gun) :cheers:

It does not matter how cool the gun is, it is the nut behind the trigger that counts. Please, don't ask how I know this....

:blush:

Is there an award for most improved rifle handling next month?

Welcome, I think you will have a lot of fun in 3-gun. I don't think you should buy anything too fancy. I started with a plain jane Bushmaster with a 16 inch barrel, and open sights. I would not worry too much about the chambering, because most manufacturers will make an AR that can handle both 223 and 556. I believe a 1:9 twist is pretty common.

As for what to get. Buds gun shop offers some really good ARs. You can check them out at:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_787

A lot of guys in my neck of the woods shoot one of these: http://www.jprifles.com/

But, you will still be competitive with a plane-jane AR of reputable manufacture.

The three most important things you need in an ARare

1) it's reliable

2) it holds zero

3) it's from a manufacturer or gunsmith who supports the sport. DPMS, Sabre Defense, CavArms, DSA, POF-USA, JP, Larue, Triangle Shooting Sports and Accuracy Speaks being excellent (but not the only!) examples. Any one of them can hook you up with a rifle that can win.

Beyond that you might want to consider

- if you need a sliding stock, most are quite good with the LMT and VLTOR being MY favorites.

- Get a barrel twisted no slower than 1 in 9 so you can shoot heavier bullets if you would like

- Free floating handguard (VTAC from JP is without doubt the best IMHO)

- A comp (Miculek is the cheapest good one but there are plenty of good ones)

- A decent single stage trigger (JP and Accuracy Speaks seemingly the only ones that can survive a recall)

- defintely get a picatinney rail so you can mount optics, then get a Larue or JP scope mount

I actually think you should buy something fancy. If you get into the sport, you'll be sorry that you got a less expensive but less competitive model because you'll just have to upgrade. If you buy a "fancy" one outright and decide that 3 gun is not for you, you'll still have a bad ass AR far better than all the other kids at school.

One final piece of advice, make sure you get an optic. Do not start out shooting iron sights unless you have a background in highpower or smallbore. It is much easier to start out with an optic.

My criteria:

1 - Goes bang every time

2 - Shoots where it's supposed to.

3 - And like Kelly said, is from the guys that support the sport!

I've got rifles from JP, Triangle Shooting Sports, Cavalry Arms, DPMS and Sabre and will ONLY buy from the companies that support my game.

Rich

I am new to the AR market as I am stimulating the ecomony with a new AR for me and my son to shoot. I know about AR's I just don't know what everybody is shooting and what is recommended.

what about chambering .223 or 5.56 nato what is the difference other than tolerance and what is to be shot in it. I know they are interchangeable but bullet weight and rate of twist make a difference.

Help.

Red alert!!!!

5.56 & 223 are NOT interchangable. 5.56 has a higher pressure and is has differnt tolerances and should not be used in a 223 chamber. On the other hand it is OK to shoot 223 in a 5.56 chamber. A very common misconception

Z

Sure....but Benny is going to have a hard time tightening that nut lol

Help.

Red alert!!!!

5.56 & 223 are NOT interchangable. 5.56 has a higher pressure and is has differnt tolerances and should not be used in a 223 chamber. On the other hand it is OK to shoot 223 in a 5.56 chamber. A very common misconception

Z

cough cough cough...........

Sure....but Benny is going to have a hard time tightening that nut lol

And if you go chasing rabbits

And you know you're going to fall

Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar

Has given you the call

:cheers:

16 inch barrel with SAW Custom (478-986-4156) tuned comp on a flat top.

Timney trigger beats the heck out of everyone else's and any fool can install it and it needs no constant care.

Mag pul adjustable stock==sure it costs more but you get what you pay for

Mag pul or brownell's mags--both are good and mags are something you do not want to skimp on

Eotech or bushnell holo are much crisper than the other red dots and no one beats Millet for the money if you desire cross hairs