Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sand bagging

Ignatz

I like to sand bag my pistols at 25 yards to see how their shooting. My Glock 34 is 100% stock and I'm averaging 3.5" for 20 shots. Is a glock more difficult to accuracy test due to the long rolling trigger compared to a clean break single stage trigger?.....Seems like I have a little more sideways movement giving me the 3.5". Up and down I'm a little under 3". These are Rem 147 match, 3.9 grs. PB, 1.155 OAL and CCI primers.....seems like a good load. 940fps.

Everyone likes a nice trigger. Yes, to answer your question a match grade trigger will out perform a stock one. To what extent will depend on the shooter. Sounds like your gun produces all sorts of accuracy as is. Now just practice with it....a lot.

Jim M

Shooting from a sand bag minimizes the potential for gun movement but does not eliminate it. The shooter still "drives" the gun. Are you riding the reset (letting the trigger out just enough to feel the reset click after each shot?) That may help. When in doubt, I like to hand my gun off to someone that I know shoots good groups and confirm what the gun is capable of. It's sometimes rather eye-opening!

Once I learn how to play these action pistol games I am going to try some group shootng. Sounds like fun.

Yea get good at that and then you'll be claiming perfect doubles all the time. :surprise::goof:

Shooting a pistol from a rest is much more difficult that people realize. You must allow the gun to recoil the same every time. Your elbow is the pivot point.

Resting the gun on a sandbag changes the way it recoils and affects the operation of the gun.

Sandbag your wrists so that the gun free recoils.

To test the gun properly you should (I know, not economical) use a Ransom rest or the like.

Edited by RePete

Once I learn how to play these action pistol games I am going to try some group shootng. Sounds like fun.

:D

Good thing you are not still in school. Your teacher would tell the guidance councilor who would tell the vice principal who would tell the principal who would call the police who would lock you up because they have to take threats like that seriously.

:D

Good thing you are not still in school. Your teacher would tell the guidance councilor who would tell the vice principal who would tell the principal who would call the police who would lock you up because they have to take threats like that seriously.

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

I have a stock G17 that will shoot an inch at 25 yards, with UMC yellow box 115's. Glocks can be VERY accurate right out of the box. I normally shoot groups one hand supported, for some reason it works better for me. If I use both hands I shoot weak hand supported. Don't be afraid to play with different techniques to see what works best for you.

I want all of my guns to hold the upper A easily at 25 yards. Can I shoot that well standing? No, but it gives me the most margin for error I can get. I can hit the upper A/B at 25 yards with an accurate gun and at my skill level that is 'good enough' accuracy from the gun. If one gun will shoot an inch at 25 yards the bullet will land within a half inch of point of aim, if the gun shoots 3.5" the bullet will land within 1.75" of point of aim. The 3.5" gun will need to be aimed 1.75" INSIDE of the perf to get a reliable hit, the 1" gun will need to be aimed just inside the perf to get a reliable hit. Knowing exactly where the bullet went is the real key to shot calling, the more accurate the gun the easier that is.

This is from Mr Enos himself. From Feb. 28 2004.

Their is a more detailed version of this that I printed and kept. If anyone can find again post a link please.

No question in my mind. Not a better way to learn trigger break and sight lift. Especially for new shooter.

And old shooters with new guns. Enjoy.

Jim M

The fundamentals of marksmanship are best learned on the bench.

When teaching a beginner, I don’t let them shoot freestyle until they understand the previous sentence.

In addition to ingraining the fundamentals, shooting from a bench is the perfect opportunity for learning how to consciously shift your attention. Or, how to keep your mind moving.

First, set up your sandbags so that the mag base pad, the front fingers of your weak hand, and the pistols dust cover are all resting solidly on the bags or the bench (base pad). It’s important to create a uniform, solid place for the gun to rest. It should be so solid, in fact, that once your sights are aligned on the target, you could close your eyes and comfortably fire the shot. Additionally, the sand bags should be adjusted or positioned so that the sights are perfectly aligned with the target – with no effort being applied by your hands.

Now forget about that and start over. Set up a perfect grip with both hands; then forget your grip. Now set your gun in position and perfectly align the sights on the target. Look back and forth from the target to your sights until you are certain that you have the sights aligned as accurately as possible. Then, when you’re certain it can’t get any better, shift your visual focus to bring the front sight into razor sharp focus, forgetting everything else. Once locked in on the front sight, leave 10% of your mental focus there, and decisively shift the remaining 90% of your attention to the feeling in your hands and trigger finger. Without hesitation, with all your attention, feel your hands calm and still, while noticing the feeling of the pressure between your trigger finger and the trigger rapidly increasing until the pistol fires. You’re still LOOKING RIGHT AT THE FRONT SIGHT during the last event, but you don’t care about it any more. Once you shift your attention to your hands, the shot should fire within one to three seconds.

Get really still and calm and you might be surprised at what you SEE.

be

This is from Mr Enos himself. From Feb. 28 2004.

Their is a more detailed version of this that I printed and kept. If anyone can find again post a link please.

A detailed search for "marksmanship", while using the filter of... Forum Member = "benos" will bring up the thread.

After you get good at group shooting, you can learn to draw from the holster and shoot....won't that be fun. :wacko: