Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme Accuracy

Hi all,

More and more I've been a bit fascinated with reaching higher and higher levels of accuracy. Obviously draws, reloads, transitions, etc are all extremely important, but if we can't put the bullet exactly where we want to, then all of that means zip. So... to all I have a number of questions. What kind of drills can I be doing in order to push my accuracy closer and closer to "perfection," just like we push our draws, reloads, transitions, etc.

Really, anything would be great, as I have no idea what to be doing other than shooting as solid as I can. I've started adding 100 of each strong and weak hand deliberate trigger pulls while watching the sights.

Thanks ahead of time!

LL13

I would suggest shooting a few bullseye matches. Not only for the skill sets but you will be associating with folks that accuracy is THE name of the game. I'll guarantee you will come away with alot of knowledge that you can apply.

Edited by baerburtchell

Try to begin and end every practice session with nothing but accuracy shots. I like to start and end with 50yd plate rack runs. Even one time through shows you at the start that your pistol is capable of making any shots during practice and when you wind up with accuracy shots you are building confidence in your own accuracy.

When the plate rack gets too monotonous, switch to a Texas star at 50. That also builds patience to wait for the pause and time out your shot.

baerburtchell gives excellent advice!

A couple or three Bullseye (NRA conventional pistol) matches will change your entire perspective on accuracy. It will also bring new meaning to "Front Sight Focus" and Trigger Control"!

Two Alphas at typical IPSC distance isn't exactly extreme accuracy. Getting two Alphas as quickly as possible should be the goal. I would recommend Saul's book "Perfect Practice". It is in Brian's store. For starters, try the typical drills you are already doing, but move the targets back. Nothing wrong with Bullseye, but for some cross over training try Steel Challenge.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the feedback. I'll be looking into a Bullseye match either this week or the next. The reason this came up was two fold. Last week I was reading in Brians book about he looked into all sports for a competitive edge and also at the steel I shot this weekend there were targets out to 30+ yards. I made the shots relatively well, but it got me thinking about how many people today actually cross train in other shooting sports like bullseye to get that extra edge. A close friend also shoots air pistol competitively and he said he'd help a bit. Thank you for the drills, I'll try those when I get out to the range this week. I understand that a double alpha is almost never on purpose and rarely happens outside of luck, but the skills necessary to reach that at say 7 yards is what I'm aiming for (pun intended). :)

I guess I'm looking for any advantage that I can gain over others. A small irony (and thread drift) here is that this morning I was reading the June issue of FS and there was a user submitted section about gaming vs. sportsmanship or something to that affect and we shouldn't only see the ways to gain advantage, but also to remember to have fun. I guess for me, shooting in itself is a huge passion and so much fun that I only want to do it that much better. My .02.

I'll make sure to check out Saul's book, as I have an order I need to make.

Thanks guys!

LL13

Two Alphas at typical IPSC distance isn't exactly extreme accuracy. Getting two Alphas as quickly as possible should be the goal. I would recommend Saul's book "Perfect Practice". It is in Brian's store. For starters, try the typical drills you are already doing, but move the targets back. Nothing wrong with Bullseye, but for some cross over training try Steel Challenge.

I think he is refering to the "perfect" double

I understand that a double alpha is almost never on purpose and rarely happens outside of luck, but the skills necessary to reach that at say 7 yards is what I'm aiming for (pun intended). :)

LL13

The A-zone is about 66 Square inches. Aim at the very middle and you can hit the Alpha even if you can't shoot any better than a 6 inch group. Even an 8 inch group gets you in there most of the time. (Shoot to hit steel in the dead center.)

Explore your accuracy, but don't get too caught up in it.

just like rifles, you better know where your pistol shoots if you are gonna try to play at 50 yds. if you zero your pistol at say 15-20 yds, you might be surprised. lots of things to take into consideration like how your optics (if open) are mounted to the gun and your ballistics. you may be blown away where those rounds hit.

• 2 months later...
Explore your accuracy,..... but don't get too caught up in it.

Good info, did that at a point in sporting clays. Can actually set you back if you think about it too much.

• 2 weeks later...
Explore your accuracy,..... but don't get too caught up in it.

Good info, did that at a point in sporting clays. Can actually set you back if you think about it too much.

That's probably true for most any endeavor.

For many years I started (and often ended) each practice session by shooting 6 shot groups, slowfire, at 25 yards, on a paper plate. I'd shoot 4 - 6, six shot groups with the goal being to take all the time you need to shoot the smallest group possible. It's also a good way to double check your zero.

;)

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

More and more I've been a bit fascinated with reaching higher and higher levels of accuracy. Obviously draws, reloads, transitions, etc are all extremely important, but if we can't put the bullet exactly where we want to, then all of that means zip. So... to all I have a number of questions. What kind of drills can I be doing in order to push my accuracy closer and closer to "perfection," just like we push our draws, reloads, transitions, etc.

Really, anything would be great, as I have no idea what to be doing other than shooting as solid as I can. I've started adding 100 of each strong and weak hand deliberate trigger pulls while watching the sights.

Thanks ahead of time!

LL13

There is nothing wrong with wanting all A. hits. Just be sure your hit factor dosen't come way down. Let your front sight determine how fast you can accurately pull that triger. As time proceeds with practice you will increase speed with both.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys just reading beginning shooter questions. Only 2+ years behind the times. Flex, Catfish just caught me with your Samuel W. Cutter drill but gave you full credit. Did a search of course nothing

then continued reading the post. Great stuff thanks to all of you for your input to this forum. An old beginner who gave up watching the "Wheel of Fortune" for this forum.(Just kidding, if I ever get that bad shoot me PLEASE)