Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disabling A Series 80/para Fp Safety

Matt Ulberg

I hope this is not a taboo subject... :huh:

I would like to disable or eliminate the Firing pin plunger on my slide, and associated other parts fom my para to prevent their breakage and any associated problems that they might cause problems (KISS concept).

Mechanically, it looks as though I could make appropriately sized washers ( including thickness) to replace the parts in the frame, and remove the plunger and spring.

Anyone doing this out there? Am I correct?

I am comfortable with the tasks and realize there is polishing, etc involved.

thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt,

Para makes a spacer that replaces the series 80 parts in the frame and fills the entire area so that the gun looks complete. Once you remove the guts from the frame, you simply remove the plunger and spring from the slide. Nothing else to it beyond possibly re-adjusting the trigger takeup.

Good luck and be careful.

Leo

Guest Larry Cazes

Do the part replacement spacers really do anything? Are they necessary to the function of the gun or are they just there to look nice?

Without the spacer the sear can walk around and cause DANGEROUS problems. For instance the sear can escape the thumb safety and go BANG with the safety on.

Good Luck,

Leo

Brownells also sells a set of series 80 replacement parts from Cylinder and Slide that are TiN coated to reduce friction and, according to the site, make it possible to get a good trigger pull. The part number is 206-080-000 if you are interested.

-ld

Actually, the gun will run fine if all you do is remove the parts from the slide (the plunger and spring).

The lever that protrudes from the frame looks like it might be troublesome, but it isn't. Replacing the levers in the frame with the insert is mostly a cosmetic issue, but you need to have SOMEthing there to fill the space.

And I'll add . . . if you're removing them for reliability reasons (which you seem to be), then just ditch 'em all and put the spacer insert in there. A lot of guns have "tolerances" such that they are very difficult to make run indefinitely with the Series 80 parts installed.

On the other hand, if someone just wants to improve their trigger pull, it's not difficult to make it so you can't tell those parts are there. The ultra smooth/polished replacement kits help, but clipping a coil or two from the plunger spring can do wonders.

Guest Larry Cazes

Guys, much thanks for all of the great info on this subject......Lot's of things to try and to tinker with. My rationale for removing the safety is both for reliability (KISS) and to lighten the 5+ pound factory trigger pull. Eventually I will be sending it out for a new trigger and adjustment to 3 pounds but since I am outa work right I'm holding off any unnecessary expences.

Larry

Rhino,

There are different length parts that actuate the slide plunger and the clearances are not all the same on every gun. I was at my gunsmiths shop when a customer had done exactly what you stated and simply removed the plunger. The arm which compresses the plunger into the slide went into the hole where the plunger should be and would not allow the slide to cycle. He kept yanking, not understanding what was wrong, and destroyed the top lever to where it would not pivot freely and had to be removed. The moral is that it is far better to simply remove the parts and replace them with a spacer plate than to risk the possibility of future problems.

Good Shooting,

Leo

take the firing pin plunger and spring out...using a dremel/file, cut off or grind down the plunger lever (the part that actuates the firing pin plunger) so that it does not protrude into the hole in the slide...i tried one of the aftermarket fillers and had nothing but problems...did the above to the stock parts and the gun was flawless...

• 4 weeks later...

Good deal Leo,

I had Kim Stroud (Guncraft Custom in Ruskin, Fl) do the trigger job on my Para ages ago and she removed the plunger in the slide, levers out of the frame and put spacers in the lever's place. Voila!!!!!!

Still one of the best trigger jobs I've ever felt. She said it was a 2lb trigger, but I would swear 1lb, maybe 1.5lbs. I know what some guys think, but girl or not, Kim does one mean trigger job!!!!!!! That was an AD special.