Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This could have been a hate rant, but then there would be no discussion. It could be in the Rules section, but I don't want a rule.

I would like it as a custom however, if shooters and spectators would pay enough attention and have enough respect for their fellow shooters and the sport if they would please STFU about the time the RO says "Make Ready" wait until "Range is Clear" to pick back up with all the BS.

This would be a wonderful custom to adopt. Especially with many shooters wearing electronic hearing protectors, the shooter can hear every joke, comment, compliment and insult. Not that some of us don't deserve to be hassled by our friends just as we are about to shoot....

Just a thought. :)

Edited by AikiDale

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno Aikidale....

then it would remind me too much of Golf.

okokok not funny.

One of the things I thought was part of the competition was that one MUST be able to

ignore all distractions from the shooting?

The peanut gallery is always there watching...

miranda

edit to fix mis spelled aikidale

Edited by Miranda

I don't think the shooter should have to block out those types of distractions. It is common courtesy to be quiet after the load and make ready command is given. Good manners cost nothing, if people want to hold conversations then they should step away from the area.

Doing a search, I found that this topic seems to come up frequently on these forums. Perhaps RMs should address this issue during sign-up, walkthroughs to make this point to all competitors.

I don't think the shooter should have to block out those types of distractions. It is common courtesy to be quiet after the load and make ready command is given. Good manners cost nothing, if people want to hold conversations then they should step away from the area.

Doing a search, I found that this topic seems to come up frequently on these forums. Perhaps RMs should address this issue during sign-up, walkthroughs to make this point to all competitors.

:)

I agree that this is annoying and seems to be getting worse.

That is why I double plug and turn off the electronics. I can hear the RO, I can hear the timer, I can't hear the chuckleheads.

I have to vote NO, when my mind is in the right place you could have a marching band surrounding me and I wouldn't hear anything but the 'b' in beep. Our sport is a social sport for the vast majority of the shooters, and the shooters being social doesn't bother me.

Like golf? Maybe, I can't talk in the downswing but I can carry on a conversation in all other parts of the game without detriment. I never got below a 7 handicap, so maybe I should have taken it more seriously.

I don't care if your phone rings when I am waiting on the beep, and that has happened before. If it bothers you stand down, collect yourself and start over.

I think the shooter should be able to tune out the background garbel.

But it is a good thing to show some respect for him or her and be kinda quiet.

Personaly I dont think I hear anything but the beep.

In retrospect...after reading this...I am sure I will be listening insted of concentrating :roflol:

Jim

I don't care if there's chatter in the background. I completely tune it out and hear nothing when I shoot. There's always a new shooter, or two or three that are being mentored by a more experienced shooter and they ask a lot of questions. I expect talking in the peanut gallery regardless of who's shooting.

Gary

Shouldn't be done.

If Rob Leatham were at nationals, and was on the line, on the last stage of a close match would it be right to casually chat away or let the cell phone chime away when the commands are being given? If one thinks so, then their definition of respect and mine are different.

Then things become all about perspective. Most of us can comprehend the importance of the match, the shooter, and the situation mentioned above. Who's to say the shooter on the line at the next local match doesn't have some of those same feelings? Nervous about shooting the stage, possibly win their first match, possibly reach the next class - whatever it is?

I like to heckle like everyone else. But when someone's on the line I think they deserve the attention of their fellow shooters. I know I appreciate it when other's keep it down for me.

J

I double plug. When I am in the whole, I turn off the electronics and lock my focus down. I can honestly say I am aware of nothing outside of myself, the gun, the course of fire and the voice of the RO from Make Ready to If Clear, then Hammer Down and Holster.

Actually, if everyone was silent behind, then I would probably freak out thinking everyone was staring at me. I try to be respectful when others are shooting, but will admit to having quiet conversations when others are shooting. If anyone voiced a preference for silence while they shoot, then I would certainly allow them that courtesy.

I suspect that it varies a lot from club to club.

I really don't care if it is quiet or not, not even if I am a single point down on the last stage of the match and I want to win as bad as anyone ever has. If you want it quiet would it be too much to ask for you to ask your squad mates BEFORE stepping up to please keep it down while you do your thing? If you really can't concentrate it might be a good thing to ask at the walk through on the first stage of the match, set the tone and I am sure the shooters will accommodate you. I might not talk to you after that in fear of breaking your concentration but I will respect your wishes.

What I am suggesting is personal responsibility, if you want it quiet ask for it instead of giving me the evil eye for shooting the bull with someone like minded during the match.

I don't think it should be required at all.

This is practical shooting isn't it? If a few voices throw your game off that bad, I got a pretty good idea of what you need to work on. ;)

I don't necessarily talk when someone is on the line, but I also don't mind if someone is talking while I am on the line. Shoot....I've had my phone ring in my pocket right after the standby command before. I still shot the stage with the phone vibrating in my pocket. Keepin' your head in the game is what it's all about.

I don't think it should be required at all.

I agree. That's why I said I don't want a rule. A quiet custom would be appropriate. :)

I know many of you will find this hard to believe, because of my shy and demure demeanor on these forums, but I have been known to heckle the RO when I'm shooting while carrying on with others in my squad. However, when holding the timer, I have noticed some shooters are distracted by the peanut gallery, and, since it is about the shooting, I was curious how others felt about it. I'm inclined to think we should opt for being polite....if just to be different. It is nice to see the poll running 2 to 1 so far in favor of a little courtesy.

We have a local guy...I don't know who makes his E-ears...but he gets ticked when people are whispering at 30y away. I always wondered why he just didn't turn those ears off.

I do, however, think common and quiet courtesy should be the standard to strive too.

And, the RO should never have to compete to be heard...nor should the buzzer.

(I remember a similar thread like this from back in da day. :) )

I think it is part of control of the range on the RO's part to keep the "Distractions" in check

I have Tinnitus Hearing damage from Tools , Like grinders on metal. What I have is a constant squeal in my head. My hearing its self can be more sensitive and I end up hearing TOO Much. So with all that extra noise and sometimes hearing talking in the next bay over, I end up missing what is going on rite in front of me.

I have to look at peoples face to pull out the sound of the words from the extra noise I hear and the noise in my head.

So Quiet is something I have not enjoyed for over 8 years.

Some times the RO can blend in a bit with the other voices , even the RO on the next stage.

If you want to know what it is like....take four radios and put three of them on different stations and put one radio on NO station with just that His and pop.

now pick out a song with your back turned and tell what radio the song is from.

Is that the RO or the peanut crew? :huh:

Jamie, your case is different than most. I think you should ask the shooters in your squad to tone it down a bit. I have tinnitus too, but not nearly as bad as you do from your description. I lost a lot of hearing from 5" guns in the Navy. Not from the gun blast but from the equipment needed to run them. Mine was rated at 30% hearing loss when I got out. The ringing isn't constant for me, it comes and it goes, but when it is ON it is ON and makes hearing anything in particular tough. If you tell your squad mates why you would like them to pipe down a bit when you are asking them I don't think a single soul will have issue with it.

At decent sized matches, sure. Be polite and keep the noise to a minimum. At club matches, AHHHH HEEELLLL NOOO!

I talk to people watching WHEN I'm shooting sometimes. Sometimes I like to shoot a match only for fun. Big matches, new shooters, people getting ready for a big match, I'll be quite. Otherwise--- :devil:

Jamie, your case is different than most. I think you should ask the shooters in your squad to tone it down a bit. I have tinnitus too, but not nearly as bad as you do from your description. I lost a lot of hearing from 5" guns in the Navy. Not from the gun blast but from the equipment needed to run them. Mine was rated at 30% hearing loss when I got out. The ringing isn't constant for me, it comes and it goes, but when it is ON it is ON and makes hearing anything in particular tough. If you tell your squad mates why you would like them to pipe down a bit when you are asking them I don't think a single soul will have issue with it.

Thanks for your responce, :D I am lucky and I get great squads most every time at all the shoots.

I can not remember when I was unhappy with a Squad mates. I end up takeing a bit longer to get ready to shoot as I tune into the RO's voice. and filter out the other sounds.

I posted mostly as an explaination of one more reason to Give the shooter his best chance at a good run. Becase we realy do not know what and how much the shooter does hear.

Thanks for the reminder, Jamie. As much as we are all alike in many cases...we are all different too.

We have one tough local shooter who I found out was color blind. After that...I started making sure to buy nothing but white paint for shoot targets. (No, that's not "real life practical", but it seemed like the thing to do for our games.)

I don't mind the chatter in the background, but occasionally, several of the peanut gallery will be pretty close to the shooters starting position and because they are wearing hearing protection they don't really realize just how loud they are talking. That can be kinda distracting especially when one of them is telling the punch line of a joke right about the time you are waiting on the buzzer and everyone burst out laughing :surprise:

But, I'm kinda like J-Ho. At club matches if you turn around and say something about the chatter you have just called the "wrath of the heckler" down on yourself.

You need a pretty thick skin and good concentration at club matches. :roflol:

FWIW

dj

I do, however, think common and quiet courtesy should be the standard to strive too.

And, the RO should never have to compete to be heard...nor should the buzzer.

(I remember a similar thread like this from back in da day. :) )

Me, too, FWIW. Some people are simply loud. If you turn UP your ears to accentuate the start of the beep over the gunfire in the adjacent bay, and usual background noise, it IS distracting to hear loudmouth braying about his run, or heckling a buddy.

It's just courtesy, if it weren't courteous then people wouldn't shut up -- which they most certainly do -- when the best shooters are on the line.

If you're near the line, STFU when someone is getting ready to shoot - (s)he needs to be able to hear the RO without interference, and the RO doesn't need to have to shout over you to be sure the range commands have been delivered clearly. Its simply rude.

If you're not near the line, have conversation in a normal tone of voice - normal for regular human beings. If you can't hear w/ ears on, get electronic ears. Yelling, even away from the line, because you're a doofus who can't cope with wearing hearing protection is rude, too.

If you're a shooter, and you use electronics to try to bring up the sound of the beep - you get what you ask for. If you have bad hearing and need that assistance to hear the beep, you're no worse off than the rest of us who aren't using electronics to hear it. If you have good hearing and are somehow trying to gain an "edge", well... turning up the volume turns up all the volume. You have no right to expect people (who are not otherwise being rude) to treat you specially just cause you think you need to use some piece of gear to somehow enhance your hearing. Asking them to do so is rude, and you deserve to be heckled by all of them until you grow the hell up.

Rules are not necessary for this - all it takes is appropriate peer pressure ;)

Dave