Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tesla Motors

AikiDale

Hey would you guys set up an account and make donations so your favorite rabbit can buy a $109,000 car? Please?

Check out this video from Jay Leno's garage with a road test of the 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, 220 mile range, 3.5 hour full charge time gotta have car. Oh, and you can plug it into any 110v outlet.

I want this car!

B)

ETA Here is a link to the company web site: Tesla Motors

Did I mention I want this car? My birthday is coming up in May.

Edited by AikiDale

Just for a fellow BE'er, the check is in the mail..... :D

Important Information — please read

* Membership positions for the 2009 Tesla Roadster are open to all US Residents

* 2009 Roadster base price: $109,000*

* Wait time to delivery is approximately 15 months*

* A $60,000 refundable membership fee is required to secure your position

In all seriousness this is a pretty cool car, think your friends/relatives/work would mind you tapping off of their electric every time to show up.

Meanwhile General Motors is talking about maybe having the Volt out in 2010 and expect it to get 40 miles before you have to plug it in or kick in the internal combustion engine. Anyone want to come up with stupid, paranoid conspiracy theory to explain GM's high tec challenge? :roflol:

Hey would you guys set up an account and make donations so your favorite rabbit can buy a $109,000 car? Please?

Check out this video from Jay Leno's garage with a road test of the 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, 220 mile range, 3.5 hour full charge time gotta have car. Oh, and you can plug it into any 110v outlet.

I want this car!

B)

My son was talking about one last week and I did a search....the stats are impressive, as is the price...but for us old school guys half the fun of fast cars is the sounds they make...the lope of the cam, the whoomp of the carbs opening, the screech of the tires on the asphalt, the whining of the gears, the chirp of rubber being burned in 2nd, 3rd and 4th...

I don't care if it goes from 0 to 100 in 3 sec flat, without the rest of it, it is just an idea that costs too much and takes too long to wait for...sorry :blush:

and BTW, for all those who think this is a real Green car, where do you think the electricity for charging the batteries comes from...yep, fossil fuel...

Edited by tightloop

Yeah, but I can afford my monthly electric bill. Tesla will have a production car out in the near future and now that they have shown that it can be done, even better than the 100 mile range electric car of 100 years ago, I'm hoping the big oil tyrants go the way of the clipper ship companies who just could not get their heads around the idea of steam ships. And who cares if it's Green? I think electric blue is the way to go....

By the way, Jay has the same idea about the car noises if you look at his video. He suggests a CD with Ferrari sounds to play at stop lights....

:cheers:

:-)

I want a DC with VW Bug sounds!

first gear is a real ear ringer.

uuuuUUUUDEnnn! shift to second....

ah what a noise.

Nice car. The only reason more of us don't own one is they are a little pricey...

Yeah, but I can afford my monthly electric bill. Tesla will have a production car out in the near future and now that they have shown that it can be done, even better than the 100 mile range electric car of 100 years ago, I'm hoping the big oil tyrants go the way of the clipper ship companies who just could not get their heads around the idea of steam ships. And who cares if it's Green? I think electric blue is the way to go....

By the way, Jay has the same idea about the car noises if you look at his video. He suggests a CD with Ferrari sounds to play at stop lights....

:cheers:

How about a good old LS-6 running thru the gears instead of a pantywaist small displacement v12 whining at 8grand.

My old Vette sounded great with the 427 and even better with the 502/550 after I blew up the 427...LOL

Can it REALLY be done?

Sure, in the daylight, in moderate temps.

Now, New England, Winter, Defrosters, HEAT, at night, Headlights and wipers anyone?

OR

Florida, Summer, 100 degrees, HUMID at night, need A/C, AND headlights.

220 miles on a charge, BUT under what conditions???

At this time, I really think the real answer is hybrids and fuel cells. Hybrids first, we get the waste heat to warm the car and run the defrosters.

When they build a Chevy Suburban hybrid I will seriously consider it. I tried to buy a Ford Escape Hybrid, can't find one for love nor money.

Jim

At this time, I really think the real answer is hybrids and fuel cells.

If anyone though the Pinto was bad just wait til cars with compressed hydrogen get hit. No more fender bender, hello fender blender. Also where does the hydrogen come from?

Back to topic: That car looks fun!!!!! Not practical at all, but what $100,000 + car is practical? I think I'll have to settle for a new AR. At least I can tell my wife the AR is cheap compared to 100 K.

If anyone though the Pinto was bad just wait til cars with compressed hydrogen get hit. No more fender bender, hello fender blender. Also where does the hydrogen come from?

Back to topic: That car looks fun!!!!! Not practical at all, but what $100,000 + car is practical? I think I'll have to settle for a new AR. At least I can tell my wife the AR is cheap compared to 100 K.

Like totally excellent, Dude. I am buying a new AR and tell my wife "well... it's cheap compared to a 100K electric car..."

Yea..that will work. I'll tell her tomorrow. Tomorrow is her birthday. She will be so happy I save the family 98K + change.. yea...

Let see here:

Tesla:

Price: $109,000

0-60: 3.9 sec

Top Speed: 125 mph

Range: 220 miles

Lotus Elise SC

Price: $54,500

0-60: 4.4 sec

Top Speed: 150 mph

Range: 240 miles

If you buy a Lotus, you can spend $54,500 on fuel, funny how it is exactly half the price of the Tesla. Say fuel was to cost $5/gal, that would be 10,900 gals. At 23 mpg average, that's 250,700 miles you could have driven.

Hard to justify an electric car when the gas version is just as good for half the price.

I want this car!

B)

My son was talking about one last week and I did a search....the stats are impressive, as is the price...but for us old school guys half the fun of fast cars is the sounds they make...the lope of the cam, the whoomp of the carbs opening, the screech of the tires on the asphalt, the whining of the gears, the chirp of rubber being burned in 2nd, 3rd and 4th...

I don't care if it goes from 0 to 100 in 3 sec flat, without the rest of it, it is just an idea that costs too much and takes too long to wait for...sorry :blush:

and BTW, for all those who think this is a real Green car, where do you think the electricity for charging the batteries comes from...yep, fossil fuel...

Well the Loopster got me all hot and bothered just with the description.

And I forgot to do an earth day BURNOUT :o

Jim

Can it REALLY be done?

Sure, in the daylight, in moderate temps.

Now, New England, Winter, Defrosters, HEAT, at night, Headlights and wipers anyone?

OR

Florida, Summer, 100 degrees, HUMID at night, need A/C, AND headlights.

220 miles on a charge, BUT under what conditions???

At this time, I really think the real answer is hybrids and fuel cells. Hybrids first, we get the waste heat to warm the car and run the defrosters.

When they build a Chevy Suburban hybrid I will seriously consider it. I tried to buy a Ford Escape Hybrid, can't find one for love nor money.

Jim

Jim, get a team of sled dogs.

Or, check out the Hybrid Yukon. Not quite as much cargo as the Suburban but you get a whole 20MPG!

:devil:

Let see here:

Tesla:

Lotus Elise SC

If you buy a Lotus, you can spend $54,500 on fuel, funny how it is exactly half the price of the Tesla. Say fuel was to cost $5/gal, that would be 10,900 gals. At 23 mpg average, that's 250,700 miles you could have driven.

Hard to justify an electric car when the gas version is just as good for half the price.

Forget the cool factor. If they can build a working prototype for $100,000, how long do you think it will be before we can get a production model for $20,000? I'm guessing before I need to replace my car. :)

Let see here:

Tesla:

Lotus Elise SC

Let's not corrupt this thread with logic and good sense, ok?

Edited by HighVelocity

The electrics of today are much like corn-based ethanol, not THE answer, but a step TOWARDS the answer. The electrics in (hopefully) 5 years should be much cheaper, and they'll work for some, but not all folks. Just like the ethanol, in time they'll be making it out of everything except corn... waste, grass, straw, whatever. I think of our search for energy solutions to where the PC was 15 or 20 years ago. Who would have thought you could buy so much power for so little money?

Like totally excellent, Dude. I am buying a new AR and tell my wife "well... it's cheap compared to a 100K electric car..."

Yea..that will work. I'll tell her tomorrow. Tomorrow is her birthday. She will be so happy I save the family 98K + change.. yea...

That's the logic the wifes uses when she 'saves' money because there's a sale.

Let see here:

Tesla:

Lotus Elise SC

You shoot a Glock ?

Nope. Don't even own a Glock.

I would bet Colin Chapman would be rolling over in his grave if he saw someone do that with his car.

Tesla 248 hp, curb weight 2690 lbs, 10.8 lbs/hp

Lotus 216 hp, curb weight 2006 lbs, 9.3 lbs/hp

I can't help it. I have to use logic, I'm an engineer.