Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Single Stack National Review

This being my first Nationals, I have nothing to compare to, only expectations based upon talking to others that have been to other nationals.

The registration process was a breeze. I checked in Thursday evening about 6pm, and it took all of about 3 minutes. I can’t imagine things running smoother than that.

I will start out with the range staff. I thought they were great, very fair, accommodating, and patient. What more can you ask for than that?

My Squad, Squad 1, moved along quickly, there were no back-ups, so that was nice. Everyone taped targets, set steel. Absolutely as good as it gets.

I did have a scoring error, I shot Friday, that was corrected. There was a bit of delay in getting the correction, but Bill Davis got it done, so thanks to Bill for his help in that regard.

I am well aware that the USPSA Single Stack Nationals runs in conjunction with the 1911 Single Stack Society’s Single Stack Classic, but….

I think the USPSA Single Stack Nationals should have more than 13 stages. I also think those stages should be a bit more challenging than what was presented. I thought there were too many classifier type stand and shoots. Too many of the stages were made up of shoot two targets to the left, two targets to the right, and four targets in the middle through a door or a port. There was a serious lack of imagination. Having shot the Western States Single Stack Classic, I can tell you that it is not difficult to have single stack eight round friendly VERY challenging stages that make you both think and move, sometimes at the same time! If I was on the USPSA Single Stack Nationals planning committee, I would make sure that Steve Horsman, who runs the Western States Single Stack, was on my stage planning/design team. As a matter of fact, EVERY stage would have to be OK’d by Steve Horsman.

There was an interesting “mix” of match participants. Here is where my inexperience comes into play, but it seemed that there were a lot of people that you would not expect to see at a USPSA National had it not been run in conjunction with the Single Stack Classic. I would think the match participants need to be determined on merit/slots and then a wait list, rather than a first come first served basis. This is one of our National Championships after all.

I spoke at length about the following subject with Alan Meek, so I already know the reasoning/answers to my criticisms of the following. I could not believe that we did not have a box and a scale for weighing the gun and checking for gun size at the chrono stage. Alan told me that a box for USPSA is being designed, but not finish yet. Apparently there is also a USPSA set of check weights for the scales so the weight/scales are consistent, but also not yet finished. I think I have those facts correct from Alan, but if not, it is something along those lines. But, with SO many threads and efforts having been dedicated to gun weight and the box, I was amazed/miffed at their absence. Here again, I felt it would not have been that way if it had been a stand alone USPSA match, but again, that is just my opinion.

The location was fine, the range has certainly proved worthy over the years for past nationals. I think it would be nice to have the Single Stack Nationals as a stand alone match rather than with another match. Would it get the high level of participation it had this year if it was run with the Revolver, Limited 10, Production Nationals? Not sure, and I have my doubts, only time doing it would tell for sure.

All in all, I had a great time. I am not sure if I would travel such a long distance to shoot 13 stages. ONLY a Nationals would entice me to do that again. As stated above, I would look very closely at getting input from Steve Horsman to elevate this match to the level it should be and certainly deserves as a National Championship.

Those are my thoughts, yours may be different.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the review Jay. Not having been to the SS Nationals/ SS Classic I found your report very enlightening.

Oh, by the way, did you just volunteer to be on the SS Nationals planning committee? :)

I told Alan Meek that I would be happy to help in any way at any time.

Thank you for the review Jay. Not having been to the SS Nationals/ SS Classic I found your report very enlightening.

Oh, by the way, did you just volunteer to be on the SS Nationals planning committee? :)

I told Alan Meek that I would be happy to help in any way at any time.

That's great! I find it most appropriate the 1911 Elitist Snob Club take the national championship under our wing. :cheers:

I'll agree wholeheartedly with Z's comments.

I will add that I think the cleaning kit given out as a "gift" was a great choice; I just wish I would have brought it with me to the range on Friday, I could really have used it rather than having to bum some tools off of Phil.

I have to say I had a great time!

As for WSSS being a more fun match, I don't know, they were both pretty dang fun. I think that nationals was deceptively easy, there were some places you could get in a lot of trouble if you pushed too hard. I do think that there was a better mix of stages, and some really neat field courses at WSSS and as far as thinking there was definately more there than at nats. You kind of have to think that historically there has been a 24 round stage limit at SS nats, and that does limit the feild courses.

13 stages was kind of short, but I don't know about more than that in one day. Rumor is that next year will be different, maybe more stages, and shooting more than one day.

I too was very suprised that there wasn't a box or scale at the chrono, but I guess we found out the reason for that.

I'm sorry to hear the Z's scores weren't fixed right away, but mistakes happen and at least the score was fixed.

Hope to make it again next year.

Jason

I like the format. In fact, I'm not so sure we shouldn't do all our nationals that way--each shooter can get through in one intense day of shooting one type of gun--spread them out through the year and across the country. (I'd try to shoot them all if possible!) Spending the better part of a week off shooting a match somewhere is not always viable for those who have active families and demanding jobs.

I got the impression that it was first and foremost the Single stack classic, and just happens to act as the uspsa nationals. A handful of people seemed outright mad that USPSA had anything to do with it. I received some grief for my gear being near the limits of the rules ( and if they had a box or scale it would have just made that too), one went so far as to say " I could wear my mag pouch like that too, but I don't out of respect" and in regards to my techwell " I can't believe there is no box, there is no way that would fit" Needless to say, I thought there was a little too much negativity towards a no name C class shooter such as myself. The ROs where great, and of course knew the rules - but still had to measure and check me out at the wishes of a few competitors. Although it doesn't totally excuse my sub par shooting, it did have some effect on my mental game.

I think somebody needs to decide if they just want to keep having a single stack classic and have another nationals (which is cool in it's own right) or if they want the classic to evolve into the nationals ( in which case there are some changes that need to happen as mentioned in numerous other post.) Either way some people will be upset and whine.... Hopefully not me.

a few other random observations from me...

No interim results seemed odd. I would have loved to check my scores before leaving. I think it would have helped Z spot the mistake on his score.

I don't know if Springfield has an exclusive deal, but being such a big match it seems strange there isn't a few more vender's out there.

A couple of my favorite utterances from the match.

Lisa Munson: "SHIT!" on a missed reload... don't remember the stage. I heard that from the toilet 10yds away.

Kippi: "Rob always looks like he's got a load in his pants." I almost spit water at that one. I told her it would be online by the end of the day. :P Sorry girl... just to funny to pass on.

Taran: "I'm a meat cicle."

Angus to Taran: "I like your hair mate." (running his fingers through Tarans hair) Taran- I'll sell it to you for 8 bucks."

Phil S: "Has the bad juju left the area?" Sorry Phil I was still there. :P

Mike S: "WTF" After all his gun issues.

Dave S: "I'm out of control." After stage 9 I think when he tagged a couple NS and had a mike.

Angus: "I don't worry about the shooting, I just know where I have to be and worry about that." "I don't approach a target with a NS or a tight target any different than one that is wide open." People slow down everything when they draw to a tight target... that includes the draw itself, so now you not only have to take the time on the sights, but you lost all that time on the draw to. Get that gun out there as fast as you can (mate) and then take the time to see the sights." (That little piece hit home for me... thanks Angus)

Robbie: On the standards... After taking his Iphone out and timing the COF 4-5 times he pronounced that it was exactly 6 seconds. He said he had 1.2 to the first shot and .3 splits.. around a 1.X sec reload and if the reloaded didn't go well he would just rock and roll it even if he had a miss or two it would still be better to try than to take your time and come up short. Of course he didn't miss the reload and tied Phil with 112. That still left him with .4 extra. I think the reload took up that time cause there wasn't any left over.

Troy M: You know I could DQ you for that.

K Blick & Kippi: Let's just say that the woman can bust out the innuendo as good as any man. :blush:

JThompson: ~Gasp~ fkn hill

Todd J: "Can I use a 10 round mag if I load only 8 rounds?" Robbie: "No you can't Todd. Get the RM over here."

Cooter: "Fkn noshoots!"

JThompson: (Robbie sitting on this guys mule.) "Hey, why don't you go over to Robbie and say, "Get off my cart biatch." To which we all rolled around laughing. Okay, maybe you had to be there.

more if I remember....

Edited by JThompson

There was an interesting “mix” of match participants. Here is where my inexperience comes into play, but it seemed that there were a lot of people that you would not expect to see at a USPSA National had it not been run in conjunction with the Single Stack Classic. I would think the match participants need to be determined on merit/slots and then a wait list, rather than a first come first served basis. This is one of our National Championships after all.

Wow,

Why do we lowly "C" class even spend our money, vacation, gas, to even come to shoot if we are not wanted. Why don't we just make it like Nascar were only the rich can play. I'd be alot better if I had someone elses pockets and the time to practice.

I am only a lowly C that placed at 208th place, last year I placed at 204. But I gained a whole percentage point on TGO! Made me feel kind of good. BUT, if us everyday people aren't wanted at these type of events why even have them? If we limit it to the top one hundred, then they could shoot 13 stages a day, all weekend long, but who else would care? Who would be buying the Sponsors products? Why stop at the Nationals? Regionals? Sectionals? I could save thousands a year!

If nobody below an "A" such as "C" and "U" were not allowed then, Sir, you would have placed 18 positions higher.

My hat is off to the All of the Staff and Sponsors for allowing me the opportunity to play with the Big Dogs!

Cliff Richards

TY54874

Wow,

Why do we lowly "C" class even spend our money, vacation, gas, to even come to shoot if we are not wanted. Why don't we just make it like Nascar were only the rich can play. I'd be alot better if I had someone elses pockets and the time to practice.

I am only a lowly C that placed at 208th place, last year I placed at 204. But I gained a whole percentage point on TGO! Made me feel kind of good. BUT, if us everyday people aren't wanted at these type of events why even have them? If we limit it to the top one hundred, then they could shoot 13 stages a day, all weekend long, but who else would care? Who would be buying the Sponsors products? Why stop at the Nationals? Regionals? Sectionals? I could save thousands a year!

If nobody below an "A" such as "C" and "U" were not allowed then, Sir, you would have placed 18 positions higher.

My hat is off to the All of the Staff and Sponsors for allowing me the opportunity to play with the Big Dogs!

Cliff Richards

TY54874

I think it's cool that anyone can, perhaps, make it on the super squad and get to shoot with their heroes. I mean what other sport can you compete at the same venue and rub elbows with the big dogs? After I got home I said to a friend that one of the reasons that makes this sport so great is that you may wind up shooting with the best our sport has to offer. If you go and watch you can even ~gasp~ talk to them, providing you give them space when they need it.

The only bitching about having lower class shooters on the squad, I heard, was from some of the other shooters. I didn't hear one complaint from the big dogs. On the whole I found them to be some of the nicest people I encountered at the match.

Edited by JThompson

Wow,

Cliff, I don't think that is what Z was saying. I think he meant that shooters should earn their slot to nationals via performance at their local clubs instead of just dropping an application in the mail. So any class shooter (GM-U) would be welcome clearly if that shooter was the best in his class in his section.

Edited by carinab

Wow,

Cliff Richards

TY54874

I think it's cool that anyone can, perhaps, make it on the super squad and get to shoot with their heroes. I mean what other sport can you compete at the same venue and rub elbows with the big dogs? After I got home I said to a friend that one of the reasons that makes this sport so great is that you may wind up shooting with the best our sport has to offer. If you go and watch you can even ~gasp~ talk to them, providing you give them space when they need it.

The only bitching about having lower class shooters on the squad, I heard, was from some of the other shooters. I didn't hear one complaint from the big dogs. On the whole I found them to be some of the nicest people I encountered at the match.

Exactly my point! Oh, yeah those Big Dogs paste and paint just like us, well, maybe not as many white or black pasters

Wow,

Cliff, I don't think that is what Z was saying. I think he meant that shooters should earn their slot to nationals via performance at their local clubs instead of just dropping an application in the mail. So any class shooter (GM-U) would be welcome clearly if that shooter was the best in his class in his section.

Carina hit the nail on the head.

Thanks Carina

I did not respond to Clliff's post because I want this to be a "review" thread to be read by the USPSA powers that be, i.e. Area Directors, to use for future match planning. This thread is NOT meant to be for mud slinging, so let's keep it that way.

Thanks

Wow,

Carina hit the nail on the head.

Thanks Carina

I did not respond to Clliff's post because I want this to be a "review" thread to be read by the USPSA powers that be, i.e. Area Directors, to use for future match planning. This thread is NOT meant to be for mud slinging, so let's keep it that way.

Thanks

If you didn't mean it to be read by those folks... you picked a bad place to post it. :roflol:

Don't take it wrong Z... I'm just BYB a little. :P

Edited by JThompson

As one of those "other" shooters mixed in with Strader's squad, I had a total blast.

They are just like everyone else, they just go a lot faster, don't miss nearly as much, and recover faster from their mistakes. ;)

A funny recollection of my own - our shooting order varied from either our shooter number or our last name, depening on whoever was the squad mommy on that stage. On a couple stags, Taran was the shooter right before me, but then the order shifted, which I had noticed and he hadn't; swapping our positions. So there I am, competing for space with Taran for a final walk through/rehearsal while the other folks were taping away. He thought it was his turn up and I knew it was my turn... So the RO finally calls the shooter (me) to the line and Taran was just like DOH, sorry dude! He was totally cool about it, and didn't need to be - I kinda figured there was a mix up in the order and he wasn't doing it to be a prima donna - and he was nice enough to apologize about it, when he really didn't need to.

Nice guys all around!

Sevigny cracked me up as well - near the end of the day, I was feeling all the weight of the world for shooting so poorly, and he looked over at me and said, "yeah, you're having one of those days like I am. Nothing goes right, you're not getting any breaks and it's just not happening for you. Best thing to do is just get through it and then work to make sure you hit the next match better."

And then he goes and finishes in what, 4th ovl?? :rolleyes: I guess it's all relative, isn't it?? :lol:

I didn't read anything about the topic of mere mortals on the super squad anywhere in Z's post. Ya'll are being defensive - he's only offering a first timer's criticism in an effort to IMPROVE things.

Wow,

Cliff Richards

TY54874

I agree completly with you on this Jim. I saw Robie go, well I guess it can be seen from that window. Regarding someone pick up a missed target from a different window. I had a good time watching and listening to the Top Guns. I think that a invite style only is bad and will not promote the sport. A guy on our squad placed 11th overall and he is not a payed shooter, talented yes.

It is a shame that a lot of the Local Clubs are very slow at submitting Classifiers, (if ever), so Slots will never be available for some.

I attend as many big matches as I can because I LIKE the Sport, I LIKE the Majority of the people, and we all are given an equal chance to prove our selves.

I know there are alot better shooters than me, but I'll never improve if I don't get the chance to try.

Please do not change this event to where all can not play. Add another day so more can, but keep it to a one day format, so we don't have to use all of our vacation for just one event. Invite more sponsors and vendors, shipping just keeps going up.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to to offer free slots for a Juniors Squad? I would chip in!

PROMOTE THE SPORT TO EVERYONE!!!!!

It is a shame that a lot of the Local Clubs are very slow at submitting Classifiers, (if ever), so Slots will never be available for some.

I attend as many big matches as I can because I LIKE the Sport, I LIKE the Majority of the people, and we all are given an equal chance to prove our selves.

I know there are alot better shooters than me, but I'll never improve if I don't get the chance to try.

Please do not change this event to where all can not play. Add another day so more can, but keep it to a one day format, so we don't have to use all of our vacation for just one event. Invite more sponsors and vendors, shipping just keeps going up.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to to offer free slots for a Juniors Squad? I would chip in!

PROMOTE THE SPORT TO EVERYONE!!!!!

I agree about the vendors. I was hopping for a real vendors area but there wasn't one. Safariland didn't have anything either.

First off, let me just clarify that I've shot every single stack classic at Barry with the exception of 2006. I did not shoot the first one or two at Milan.

In my opinion, this was one of the better SS I have shot.

Thanks Russell, Jay, Dick, Bill D, Troy, Tony, Deb, all the ROs, Etc. Etc. Etc.

Now,

"I got the impression that it was first and foremost the Single stack classic, and just happens to act as the uspsa nationals."

It probably is. Just remeber, the SSC came long before Single Stack Divsion. Like it or not, there probably would not be a Single Stack division, if it was not the SSC, 1911 society, and pushing of those envolved with both.

If I understand it correctly there was a decision to incorporate the SSC as the nationals, so, it is of course going to be more like the SSC, and possibly less like the rest of the nationals.

Is this so bad? Does it allow those that can only take one or two days off to shoot a national match? If so, maybe different is good.

"A handful of people seemed outright mad that USPSA had anything to do with it."

That's just plan DUMB. For those who are mad, just remeber, the match never sold out before the USPSA got involved in it. And, if you shoot the match because you love the 1911 platform, I would think that you would want the greater exposure that it provides. I guess it brought in stiffer competition, and thus took away from their bragging rights, since they havn't had a prize table at the single stack for quite a few years.

"I received some grief for my gear being near the limits of the rules ( and if they had a box or scale it would have just made that too), one went so far as to say " I could wear my mag pouch like that too, but I don't out of respect" and in regards to my techwell " I can't believe there is no box, there is no way that would fit" Needless to say, I thought there was a little too much negativity towards a no name C class shooter such as myself."

That's a shame, and shouldn't happen, but I was taught a rule a long time ago, in a police academy far, far away, and it almost always holds true. I call it the 1 in 3 rule. Every 1 in 3 people, anywhere, at anytime, is an A-Hole (we can call them 3s for short).

And respect for what? John Browning? I doubt he ever wore a mag holder, and if he did, it had a full flap cover.

Or, out of respect for the mag? Did their mags have the American flag on them. Otherwise I don't have "respect" for inantimate obejects. Respect for the rules? If it is within the rules, then you are respecting them. USPSA did not really change any of the single stack classic rules that I can think of.

"The ROs where great, and of course knew the rules - but still had to measure and check me out at the wishes of a few competitors."

I'm glad the ROs didn't go overboard about it, and feel ashamed for people that would actually point it out to the ROs.

I just hope you beat those guys with your "Superior" equipment.

Since I don't remeber any standing reloads (except the time fire, and I don't know about you, but my techwell did not really help there) in the whole match, then I'm not sure what the big deal was about. And, if there was not a box, then obviously the match directors were not real worried about the tech wells, as I'm sure they knew about them starting out.

" Although it doesn't totally excuse my sub par shooting, it did have some effect on my mental game."

Yeah, it never helps to feel like the guys on your squad were out to get you.

My squad was real good, you must have got my "3's". Let me see, 10 man squad, all good guys, means 3 A-H running around loose. Sorry about that, I'll try to keep all things in check next year. If you PM the names, I'll make sure to request to be squaded with them. It's only fair. Of course, I can be a bit of an A-H myself if necessary.

It all equals out in the long run, but still sorry it happened.

"I think somebody needs to decide if they just want to keep having a single stack classic and have another nationals (which is cool in it's own right) or if they want the classic to evolve into the nationals ( in which case there are some changes that need to happen as mentioned in numerous other post.)" Either way some people will be upset and whine.... Hopefully not me.

There again, do we really have to decide to change the format. Or can it just be a different sort of nationals?

If we all know this going into it, then I don't think it's a big deal.

I was well aware of how the match ran going into it, and thought it was a blast. I have shot other nationals in other divisions also, so I knew what to expect, and what not to expect.

"No interim results seemed odd. I would have loved to check my scores before leaving. I think it would have helped Z spot the mistake on his score. "

Yeah, this sort of bothered me too. If they are not going to post them, then they should have a internet terminal available for people to check them.

"I don't know if Springfield has an exclusive deal, but being such a big match it seems strange there isn't a few more vender's out there."

The list of vendors has dwindled each year I have gone. Don't know why. Maybe we weren't buying enough of their stuff.

I am not going to take any blame on this myself.

I try to support all of them. Just ask my wife.

Oh yes, for all those people who thought it was too easy....

What match were you shooting?

Virginia count, a zone only targets, some fast, partially visible movers, headshots with no shoots, etc.

I wish I shot your match, I might have done a lot better. :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't let a few 3s keep you from coming back.

In fact, you can forward them to me. I think I can keep them in check. I've been working with, and around 3s for years. I can be a 3 if I need to. There again, just ask my wife.

Joel

That is a great idea - one of the best things about this match was the presentation of $2500 from the 1911 Society to the USPSA to be used exclusively for Junior's in SS... That's a free gun for at least every top junior at every area match and then some :cheers: