Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g34's range diary

g34

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt i'll be at camp shootout, but I'm planning on the AMU clinic. I know how it feels not to be able to get to many matches <_<

But I'll be hittin up a few matches out your way sometime. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Gator classic, and someday i'd like to attend it.

Do you have a USPSA #?

Ill be at the AMU camp.

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday I shot my last match before the Gator Classic. I haven't been dry firing as much as a should, and I lost a few seconds on a reload. This is a problem that I must eliminate before the Gator.

Just before we started shooting, it started to rain. This was the first match I shot in the rain, and it really didn't have much of an effect on my shooting. The only thing that was a little slower was my draw, because I wanted to make sure I had a good grip. On one stage, there was a popper that activated a swinger. My plan was to shoot the popper, shoot a static paper target, and then shoot the swinger. I wound up accidentally shooting two statics, which made me have to wait on the swinger, costing me a couple of seconds. At the Gator Classic, I plan on getting to the match about an hour and a half early so I can take my time on planning how I will shoot the stages, and commit them to memory in order to eliminate that type of problem.

I feel like I am not shooting as quickly as I could be. On most stages, I am only shooting one or two C's. After the Gator Classic, I think I am going to try and shoot a few matches pushing for more speed. What do you guys think?

Production results:

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Points Stg %

1 D., Guy L2746 M Production Minor N N N N 565.0754 100.00%

2 L., Stephen L2688 A Production Minor N N N N 520.9117 92.18%

3 Fitzpatrick, Kevin A61677 B Production Minor N N N N Junior 503.8881 89.17%

4 I., Chuck A50459 C Production Minor N N N N Super Senior 384.3708 68.02%

5 R., Jr., Blane A65899 U Production Minor N N N N 376.9581 66.71%

Overall results:

1 S., Joel A39440 A Limited Major N N N N 506.3270 100.00%

2 D., Guy L2746 M Production Minor N N N N 493.7594 97.52%

3 L., Lloyd L714 A Limited 10 Major N N N N Senior 486.5884 96.10%

4 T., Gary FY23129 A Limited Major N N N N Senior 481.9049 95.18%

5 B., Forrest TY53269 B Limited Major N N N N Senior 472.4640 93.31%

6 L., Stephen L2688 A Production Minor N N N N 448.0456 88.49%

7 Fitzpatrick, Kevin A61677 B Production Minor N N N N Junior 436.3705 86.18%

8 P., Mike TY55093 B Limited Major N N N N 430.1917 84.96%

9 H., Ricky A60272 C Open Major N N N N 429.9754 84.92%

10 F., Greg A57734 C Limited Major N N N N 400.0070 79.00%

Here is the video:

CAS 10-4-09

On Sunday I shot my last match before the Gator Classic. I haven't been dry firing as much as a should, and I lost a few seconds on a reload. This is a problem that I must eliminate before the Gator.

Just before we started shooting, it started to rain. This was the first match I shot in the rain, and it really didn't have much of an effect on my shooting. The only thing that was a little slower was my draw, because I wanted to make sure I had a good grip. On one stage, there was a popper that activated a swinger. My plan was to shoot the popper, shoot a static paper target, and then shoot the swinger. I wound up accidentally shooting two statics, which made me have to wait on the swinger, costing me a couple of seconds. At the Gator Classic, I plan on getting to the match about an hour and a half early so I can take my time on planning how I will shoot the stages, and commit them to memory in order to eliminate that type of problem.

I feel like I am not shooting as quickly as I could be. On most stages, I am only shooting one or two C's. After the Gator Classic, I think I am going to try and shoot a few matches pushing for more speed. What do you guys think?

Production results:

1 D., Guy L2746 M Production Minor N N N N 565.0754 100.00%

2 L., Stephen L2688 A Production Minor N N N N 520.9117 92.18%

3 Fitzpatrick, Kevin A61677 B Production Minor N N N N Junior 503.8881 89.17%

4 I., Chuck A50459 C Production Minor N N N N Super Senior 384.3708 68.02%

5 R., Jr., Blane A65899 U Production Minor N N N N 376.9581 66.71%

Overall results:

1 S., Joel A39440 A Limited Major N N N N 506.3270 100.00%

2 D., Guy L2746 M Production Minor N N N N 493.7594 97.52%

3 L., Lloyd L714 A Limited 10 Major N N N N Senior 486.5884 96.10%

4 T., Gary FY23129 A Limited Major N N N N Senior 481.9049 95.18%

5 B., Forrest TY53269 B Limited Major N N N N Senior 472.4640 93.31%

6 L., Stephen L2688 A Production Minor N N N N 448.0456 88.49%

7 Fitzpatrick, Kevin A61677 B Production Minor N N N N Junior 436.3705 86.18%

8 P., Mike TY55093 B Limited Major N N N N 430.1917 84.96%

9 H., Ricky A60272 C Open Major N N N N 429.9754 84.92%

10 F., Greg A57734 C Limited Major N N N N 400.0070 79.00%

Here is the video:

CAS 10-4-09

how often are u dry firing? also, what cleats do u use for shooting?

Normally I dry fire for about an hour every day. Lately I've been really busy with school and have only been dry firing for about fifteen minutes a day. The day before a match I will dry fire for about an hour and a half. I have exams this week, but after that I'm going to be dry firing for at least an hour a day in preparation for the Gator Classic in a couple of weeks.

I wear mid cut Nike Land Sharks.

Normally I dry fire for about an hour every day. Lately I've been really busy with school and have only been dry firing for about fifteen minutes a day. The day before a match I will dry fire for about an hour and a half. I have exams this week, but after that I'm going to be dry firing for at least an hour a day in preparation for the Gator Classic in a couple of weeks.

I wear mid cut Nike Land Sharks.

Do you like you Land Sharks? I am looking into getting a pair of cleats for shooting. I have been dry firing every day for at least an hour to prepare for the Central Florida Sectional Match. I am also going to the USAMU Junior Camp.

Jason

I would suggest going to a shoe store and just trying on a bunch of different cleats until you find some that are very comfortable.

Merrell is another brand that is very comfortable, provides great traction and they have a ton of different styles to choose from. More flexability and comfort than cleats.

Follow g34s advice, and go to a local sporting goods store.

I like Football-oriented cleats the best. I swung by Dick's sporting goods in the spring a while back, and found a steal of a deal on some Under Armour football cleats for about $29, which was $40 off the regular price. Football was kinda off-season at the moment.

A mid-top is best. High-top shoes can be awkward to kneel or crouch in, even when fully broken in. Mine are lowtops, and I have a 9mm casing burn on my left ankle: No-show socks and lowtop cleats provide a nice little pocket for a spent casing to drop into. The resulting blister makes it royally suck to wear shoes for a week afterwards.

Follow g34s advice, and go to a local sporting goods store.

I like Football-oriented cleats the best. I swung by Dick's sporting goods in the spring a while back, and found a steal of a deal on some Under Armour football cleats for about $29, which was $40 off the regular price. Football was kinda off-season at the moment.

A mid-top is best. High-top shoes can be awkward to kneel or crouch in, even when fully broken in. Mine are lowtops, and I have a 9mm casing burn on my left ankle: No-show socks and lowtop cleats provide a nice little pocket for a spent casing to drop into. The resulting blister makes it royally suck to wear shoes for a week afterwards.

Thanks for the replys guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I just shot the 2009 Louisiana Gator Classic, and it was awesome! The match consisted of 12 creative, challenging stages and nearly 350 rounds. The RO's and match staff were great at keeping the match running smoothly. I shot a pretty solid match, with only one mike on a weak hand target. I was pretty nervous as I was going to the chrono, but was relieved when I made 141 PF.

Something pretty funny happened to me on the first day of the match. Matt Mink was supposed to be in our squad, but he couldn't make it. On the second stage of the day, one of the RO's was calling Matt to come shoot. I walked up and asked if he was looking for Matt Mink, because I knew he wasn't at the match . The RO then said," Oh, here he is." So I then had to tell him that Matt was not at the match and that I was not Matt Mink.

I wound up taking 1st B class production, and 3rd overall in production. I wouldn't have been able to do it without all of the help from my fellow shooters, especially Mr. Guy(double pedro). I don't have the final results yet, but I will post them when they are on the match website.

The prize table was incredible. Finishing 3rd, I still won a springfield XD, thanks to all of the great sponsors at the match.

A couple of observations from the match:

Shooting through soft cover really affected my hits. On the stage with soft cover, I had fewer A's than C's.

My perception of time when I am shooting is completely wrong. Everything that I do that is a waisted motion, feels like it's adding seconds to my time.

Nice shooting in your video!!! All you need to do is smooth out your movement through the stages and you will be at the next level. One main thing holding you back right now is all of the stop and go position style shooting. Once you start shooting as you are moving through shooting positions you will watch your stage times drop dramatically. Keep up the good work. You have come a long way in a short amount of time!!!

THanks, guys.

Here are the results:

Louisiana Gator Classic

Match Date: 10/22/2009

1 S., Alva TY57997 A Production Minor N N N N 1444.1818 100.00%

2 C., West A64425 U Production Minor N N N N 1436.2118 99.45%

3 Fitzpatrick, Kevin A61677 B Production Minor N N N N Junior 1419.5852 98.30%

4 P., Reymon TY26589 A Production Minor N N N N 1388.8899 96.17%

5 D., Guy L2746 M Production Minor N N N N 1369.6249 94.84%

Not only did Kevin earn a great finish, he and his dad both jumped in to help the RO staff pick up and put away all the stage materials and props before the awards ceremony. Real class B)

Congrats...the way he's going, this young man will need a lot of wall space for match plaques.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Thanks for all of the help and kindness over the last year, Mr. Curtis. Without your help, I would still be having 5+ misfires a match.

Good shooting Kevin. Very well done

Thanks. Congrats on your 6th place finish. You haven't been shooting for as long as I have, and you were right behind me.