Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions needed on new spring tester

GentlemanJim

After many go arounds with springs, Main springs and recoil springs.

I plan to manufacture a simple spring tester that tests recoil springs and main springs in 2011 1911 platforms

As the user of such...would you prefer??

1 a non mounted ...hand held tool

2 a more substantial wall mounted tool

3 a more substantial bench mounted tool

Thanks for any input!

Jim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, some thoughts....

Easily portable, so I can carry it in the bag. Relatively inexpensive - I don't need accuracy to a 100th of a pound or anything, so a super-crazy-high-zoot scale isn't required. However, balance price with quality, sturdy construction - I'd like to have a nice tool, not a cheap, flimsy thing that dies after I use it twice or that I have to baby a lot.

If it could fit into a Dillon 650 caliber conversion box (or break down to that size) that would be a plus - that means roughly the size of a 5" guiderod? Those boxes are perfect for carrying stuff in the bag...

Jim, can I get dibs on a beta part to test?

I think this will be a valuable tool to all of us, we will be changing springs based on REAL information and not guessing. Keeping springs in the window is absolutely essential to maintaining the best possible performance in a racegun and I am really glad Jim is going to move forward with the design and build. It will be AWESOME, he doesn't do anything less!!

I would like to see a prortable one that I could use my own scale with. = That way the user could perchase a 10$ fish scale or a $50.00 scale to use. The holder is the thing, I made a few atempts but was disapointed with what I had.

IF you made a holder that the user could "hook" his own scale to that would be very cool and keep the cost down.

That would be ultra cool if it would work with main springs too

jamie

I want two measurements, pressure when closed and pressure when open. Something like drop in tube, with two marks on a plunger, that I can mark it so that it minicks my spring tunnel. I do that now with a fish scale, a recoil rod and cap stuck in a vise.

Jim, can I get dibs on a beta part to test?

I think this will be a valuable tool to all of us, we will be changing springs based on REAL information and not guessing. Keeping springs in the window is absolutely essential to maintaining the best possible performance in a racegun and I am really glad Jim is going to move forward with the design and build. It will be AWESOME, he doesn't do anything less!!

Howard...I remember Beta testing your magazines so, I think this is an excellent idea. I will instruct Jim to send you the 2nd one he makes...cuz you know who's gettin the 1st one. B)

Or it's Tofu. :devil:

Go for the nice one. The absolute-lowest-cost folks will have made their own from a long bolt or other random chunk of metal by now...

The cool thing would be if it could be made small, including the scale, and rapid-fire, so you could run through a batch of springs quickly. Maybe a little stubby spring-scale could be made since the range of springs is only going to be in the 7-20 lb kind of range. A hydraulic pressure setup would be nice too, but probably a little too many $

A caliper-style design might be entertaining as well. Wouldn't be super small, but could be thin.

Oh yeah, make a bunch of cheap quick clip-on weight tags to go with it-- maybe a little plastic or metal marked cylinder that goes inside the spring and has a feature to grab on and hold it there.

Even though I made one from a long bolt, the biggest problem I had to "accurate measurements" was the scale. Until I found a fishing scale that would retain the measurement upon completion (like the RCBS 8lb trigger scale), I found the device kinda undesirable to use.

I'll take one. Good luck with the venture...Hank

Jim,

Being able to test mainsprings as well recoil springs would be great. I have a bunch of main springs I'd like to check. A tester small enough to go in the toolbox and be made in such a way that you could put it in a vise on the work bench if desired.

I have the SDM unit you can borrow if that would help you any. It is only marked for 5" springs.

post-3253-1209158289.jpg

Edited by CenTX

Thanks guys!

The sdm unit costs $65.00

I want a tool at half that price...or less

Compact and easy to use

I have a prototype idea for a range bag type tool...

Going out to the mill and lathe...will post pics soon for your critique

Keep your preferences coming...I am creating a tool that meets YOUR needs

Thanks

Jim

Ours are portable and simple. So that would probably be the way to go.

Some people are unorganized (not me of course!) so how bout making some nice Poundage tags to go on each recoil spring after you know what it is? Now we are using cut up credit cards with a hole drilled in them. Can't afford a nice pouch(see--cut up credit cards).

Nick

Some people are unorganized (not me of course!) so how bout making some nice Poundage tags to go on each recoil spring after you know what it is? Now we are using cut up credit cards with a hole drilled in them. Can't afford a nice pouch(see--cut up credit cards).

Nick

Help me out a little...when you say "ours are portable and simple" who are you referring to and do you have pic?

And those tags have been on my mind too. I hate it when a spring is out of the package, on the work bench, right next to 4 or 5 other springs and no clue as to which one is which. :surprise:

cut up credit cards?

And those tags have been on my mind too. I hate it when a spring is out of the package, on the work bench, right next to 4 or 5 other springs and no clue as to which one is which. :surprise:

Yep, I think I've thrown away more recoil springs than I've used, LOL!

Sturdy and basic get my vote. Maybe sometime some sort of a conversion so you could check "other" springs like CZ, EAA, Beretta, etc.

Nick

Help me out a little...when you say "ours are portable and simple" who are you referring to and do you have pic?

cut up credit cards?

You can buy thin, round, plastic tubing a little bigger than the recoil sprins and caps/plugs for them. Put the weight on a little piece of paper and slide it in the tube. Another possibility would be plastice "Shooter" tubes from the bar supply, $.10 - $.15 each., but you wouuld still need caps.

Ok here is a prototype.

The rod used for the mandril are just cheap stuff ...real ones would be made from precision rod stock

the mandril and bushings for mainsprings are not shown...no suitable material in hand

this is just a quick proto...no flaming :blush:

The marks on the mandril are read in the slot in the carrier

What think ??

Jim

th_PICT0288.jpg

th_PICT0291.jpg

I want one , Tell me ware and how much to send ,

If you want to test breakability = I have a buddy that can break a steel ball

Have we met?

No <_< but Stuart is famous. he can break guns by just looking at them close. And the guy can rust stainless steel with just a touch.