Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

predictions on 5" vs 6"

cking

I took a 5inch tactical bushing barrel top end and lightened it down to 12.2 oz with sights and firingpin extractor included. Guns weighs little over 32 oz no mag.

Now I've ordered a 6inch slide, same sights barrel, had JPL brazo hole it for me, plus I'll cut some more on the slide till it weighs the same as the 5inch.

So I'll end up with two top ends only difference one inch in sight radius.

What will I find different when I shoot them?

All opinions appreciated

//

If you want to learn something start moving the weight around in the slides, less total weight, more total weight, less in front, more in front, things like that and see what it does. There is a world more to it that is possible than cutting to a target weight and calling it good. Cutting to a target weight is OK, you may well end up with a nice handling and nice shooting gun, but you won't learn anything about building for quality of the sight track and while the gun might be a nice shooter it won't be what it could be. To me the quality of the front sight track is secondary only to reliability, it really IS the driving force in determining the configuration of the gun since total reliability is a given.

The experiment you are doing will show the 6" gun a little heavier out front, a little more apparent front sight rise, a little more precision in the shot calls and a little easier to shoot accurately. It will be different but not earth shattering. If you can truly call a shot the 6" will win out, if you can't call shots you won't see much if any difference between them.

Most everbody has been taking it off the muzzle end. I took some off both ends. Drill the slide through at rear on both sides of the extractor boss.

I'll post a pic of what I end up with.

I had a 6" top end built for my Edge. I wanted to keep the long dust cover and so, after lightening, I have a 6" that weighs one ounce more than a five inch.

I haven't had the final finish put on the slide, taking time to make sure everything is right, but so far I'm very happy with the results. I really don't know how to post a picture, but the milling looks pretty good.

Buddy

I'm a B limited shooter and regularly would turn in scores in the mid 60% range at club matches finishing about the middle of the pack. Since I've been shooting the 6" (Also by JPL with Brazos holes) I've shot 85% of our GM's and within 2% of a Master class shooter last week. I'm now ranking like 5th out of 20 shooters. For me, the 6" gun is the way to go. Before, I wasn't calling my shots very well. Sometimes I was "in the zone" and was aware of much more than usual. I don't know what it is about this gun, but I'm calling shots much more easily now.

YMMV

• 1 month later...
I predict the 5" will be just like it is today 5 years from now and the 6" will be worn out.

Too funny. I've run some timing drills with my 5 inch vs. 6inch vs open gun there is not much difference on some drills, but over all the 6 inch fat free beats them all hands down.

i hope the 6" set up FAD last longer ...i remember the time 3-4 years ago when everybody was switching to a "Shorty" Open gun (Commander slide), now everyone that i know who used to own one swtched back to a 5"

Edited by ogiebb

I think Merlin means the 5 in will be the same because he will not be shooting it, because he likes the 6 in soo much.

Me thinks the same thing, but alway dangerous to speculate on Merlin's thoughts :roflol:

i hope the 6" set up FAD last longer ...i remember the time 3-4 years ago when everybody was switching to a "Shorty" Open gun (Commander slide), now everyone that i know who used to own one swtched back to a 5"

I remember a few years ago every wanted a really heavy limited gun, tungsten magwells and barrel sleeves, 42+oz. Now everybody wants a Glock weight 6" gun.

I built a 6" on a long dustcover frame with a bull barrel that's about 38oz. From reading about other 6" guns I know its not the ultimate set up but it works for me so I'm not messing with it. I'm just going to shoot it and we'll see how my scores turn out. I shot my best El-Prez with it over a year ago, 5.10 6 points down and good for 98+%.

I remember a few years ago every wanted a really heavy limited gun, tungsten magwells and barrel sleeves, 42+oz. Now everybody wants a Glock weight 6" gun.

I built a 6" on a long dustcover frame with a bull barrel that's about 38oz. From reading about other 6" guns I know its not the ultimate set up but it works for me so I'm not messing with it. I'm just going to shoot it and we'll see how my scores turn out. I shot my best El-Prez with it over a year ago, 5.10 6 points down and good for 98+%.

Glad to hear that... im waiting for them to make my 6" Lighthened sightracker legal .. ihave almost everything needed for it now :devil:

I predict the 5" will be just like it is today 5 years from now and the 6" will be worn out.

Merlin, your are correct. This is just a fad and will be gone as soon as it got here.

New fad for you cause your just late for the party. A bunch of us have been here 5 or 6 years.-----------Larry

Merlin, your are correct. This is just a fad and will be gone as soon as it got here.

New fad for you cause your just late for the party. A bunch of us have been here 5 or 6 years.-----------Larry

I dont thinks so. The 5 inch is what I like and I have shot 6's. I just dont care for the extra length out front. I like the gun shorter or at least at the length it is at now. If it works for you great. I dont think you will see 1/3 or 1/2 of the limited/l10 guys changing over and theat includes the top of the pack. I know 1 has but he could shoot anything better than the rest of us, that includes slingshots.

With the RIGHT 6" gun no one would go back to a 5" for Limited or L10, they can be set up so that there is absolutely NO difference in weight, balance, handling, recoil, sight picture or anything else. The only difference is another inch of sight radius. I wouldn't trade two brand new 5" guns from ANYONE for my 6" gun with 25K rounds on it if I had to use the 5" guns.....

Yep, ole whats his name could probaly win with anything. So why would he shoot that long pistol, sure not sponsor pressure, I bet they wish he would shoot something they promote. Could it be he has figgured something out, like its better.--------------Larry

I took a 5inch tactical bushing barrel top end and lightened it down to 12.2 oz with sights and firingpin extractor included. Guns weighs little over 32 oz no mag.

Now I've ordered a 6inch slide, same sights barrel, had JPL brazo hole it for me, plus I'll cut some more on the slide till it weighs the same as the 5inch.

All opinions appreciated

//

I have an STI Trojan with a 5" top end and a 6" top end. Here's what I find:

The 6" feels "noseheavy", the 5" feels perfectly balanced. I don't see much difference in accuracy, but I'm not Rob Leatham and I shoot cheap ammo.

All opinions appreciated

//

I have an STI Trojan with a 5" top end and a 6" top end. Here's what I find:

The 6" feels "noseheavy", the 5" feels perfectly balanced. I don't see much difference in accuracy, but I'm not Rob Leatham and I shoot cheap ammo.

Has the 6" top end on your Trojan been properly lightened by a knowledgeable pistolsmith or is it still in the factory configuration? Big difference. Edited by baerburtchell

I have a Les Baer 6" Premier II and you are right that the pistol feels a little top/nose heavy. However, I also have a six inch STI Edge that has been lightened within an oz. of a five inch. It points better and transitions better than the 5" with a bonus of the longer sight radius. I'm not a bit handicapped with this gun, as a matter of fact my scores have improved since I started shooting it.

Buddy

Hello: I would not fit a 6" top end to your 5" pistol. Go right now and package up your slide, barrel etc and ship it to me :devil: I will make sure no one will use it. Except me perhaps :D The 6" is the way to go. It makes life wonderful. You must make sure you lighten it as suggested above and take some time to get used to it. I can see another one in my future. Anyone have a 2011 frame for sale. Thanks, Eric