Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Armory Mod 1911-A1 10mm

RogerT

Hi.

Found this gun on a gun shops web page, it's been unsold since 2004 if I understand things right.

I know 10 mm is an unusual calibre today but the gun could probably be rebarrelled to something more usable, like .45 or 9x19mm?

But first of all, is it worth the asking price of 600 USD?post-3267-1208982357.jpg

I really don't have a clue about Springfield Armory's quality or what a mod 1911-A1 gun is good for.

Blue Book says that this was a new model in 1990...

my blue book is the 21st edition ( 2001)

but I have not seen alot of these out there, anywhere,

I would say $600 is a decent price.

Compared to a plain jane Mil Spec they have now for around $550, plus being a limited model (sure they didn't make a bunch of 10mm)

IMO it is not a good buy. First of all it is nothing more than a Gov't Model in 10mm. You will have to do a lot to make it equal in features to a basic Kimber. 10mm brass is hard to find free and expensive to buy new.

Sorry, Joe, Springfield 10mms were internally much different from Government Model .45s.

They used the Peter Stahl cam track locking and a three lug barrel.

Maybe not in all, but I would not buy that gun with the intent of rebarrelling it. Not without taking it apart to see if it were mechanically 1911 or Something Else. Actually, I would not buy it at all. I don't want a 10mm and converting it to something more common would run the cost WAY up.

Sorry, Joe, Springfield 10mms were internally much different from Government Model .45s.

Maybe not in all, but I would not buy that gun with the intent of rebarrelling it. Not without taking it apart to see if it were mechanically 1911 or Something Else. Actually, I would not buy it at all. I don't want a 10mm and converting it to something more common would run the cost WAY up.

I've handled the Omega 10mm that has the Peter Stahl guts and it didn't look like the gun in his picture. I found a link to a page with the Omega

Omega.jpg

-ld

They called it the "Linkless" and it held the barrel and slide together for a longer period of time. Sorrry, it's not just another 10MM Gov't Model. I'ld buy it for $600 and consider it a good deal.

If it's been sitting in a gun shop at that price for a long time, see if they'll take less. 10mm is fun to shoot. Hopefully you reload, so you don't break the bank just in ammo cost.

I almost bought an Omega once, but the manager said to shoot it on the range a box or two. I couldn't get it to run right - the double extractor was neat, but just didn't quite work on that particular gun. If what's in the shop is a "normal" Govt style 1911, it should be good to go!

~Mitch

If it's been sitting in a gun shop at that price for a long time, see if they'll take less. 10mm is fun to shoot. Hopefully you reload, so you don't break the bank just in ammo cost.

I almost bought an Omega once, but the manager said to shoot it on the range a box or two. I couldn't get it to run right - the double extractor was neat, but just didn't quite work on that particular gun. If what's in the shop is a "normal" Govt style 1911, it should be good to go!

~Mitch

Mitch,

I put a Peter Stahl Omega on a Springfield frame, fitted it up myself. The gun was incredibly accurate, but I could not get the magic twin extractors to work reliably and eventually sold it to someone who thought it neat. I really like 10mm!