Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RaceGun in 1991: Cylinder & Slide Article

Suburban Commando

I am a little excited about redoing my racegun, and did a search for "RaceGun" on Goodsearch. One of the first links to come up was this American Handgunner article.

Although this pistol likely looks very nice, that comp doesn't look very effective, scoops or otherwise, particularly with .40SW. The "magtunnel" is pretty tiny compared to something like the Dawson Ice funnel.

Thought maybe some of you would get a kick out of this. Little nostalgic perhaps?

Combat pistol?

at the time..that was pretty custom too..

Para was the only wide body going..in 45ACP..there were a few hand built 38 super mags..but they were iffy.

the CMC frame was going to shown at the 1991 nationals..and wouldn't be available till later the next year.

Caspian Hi Caps were not yet. Rumor was Wil was still in development.

Wilson showed a hicap frame. hand built by George Huening for Jerry Barnhart.

the Springfield P9 was just coming on..but there was limited data for short 9x21.

there was rumors of going to .40 as the minimum caliber for major..and there was only one nationals..the first Limited division nationals was in 1993

so this was totally custom using a new cartridge, with modified mags. dual port comps were state of the art at the time too. We all used tube red dots. Ross Deane was just getting going on bullet proofing them, C-more was still yet to be. The Aimpoint comp was brand new. The Tasco PDP2 was the state of the art..the PDP3 still cracked tubes.

Edited by eerw

In the right hands with the right load a gun like that would still work pretty well. I like the standard length slide that is cut back to commander length. I also like the aluminum honeycomb and carbon fiber scope mount.

Load it with 135gr bullets and a 170mm mag that holds 26ish rounds. Good to go even with the tube sight.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

I am a little excited about redoing my racegun, and did a search for "RaceGun" on Goodsearch. One of the first links to come up was this American Handgunner article.

Although this pistol likely looks very nice, that comp doesn't look very effective, scoops or otherwise, particularly with .40SW. The "magtunnel" is pretty tiny compared to something like the Dawson Ice funnel.

Thought maybe some of you would get a kick out of this. Little nostalgic perhaps?

Combat pistol?

It is better looking than lots of the pistols used today...and it would still be top of the heap if Open did not have 9mm Maj

In the right hands with the right load a gun like that would still work pretty well. I like the standard length slide that is cut back to commander length. I also like the aluminum honeycomb and carbon fiber scope mount.

Load it with 135gr bullets and a 170mm mag that holds 26ish rounds. Good to go even with the tube sight.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

+1 Peter

A little info about Hi-Caps.

I believe the first Hi-Cap at the USPSA Nationals was in 1988 or 1989. (I'm not quite sure of the year) I think 1988.

Otto Matyska, (Otto-Comp) from St. Louis shot a prototype 19 round .38 super hi-cap with a frame his own design, that I believe he cast himself, with magazines from Europe. Since at that time the rule book was vague about reloads if the stage called for a mandatory reload Otto ejected the magazine and when it cleared the gun he forced the same magazine back up into the gun.

As I recall that gun had a semi-profile compensator with 2 chambers and 4 ports in the barrel, It also had a pivot trigger and a huge magazine well. That frame is at Otto's shop with a few cracks in it. I bet that frame had over 100,000 rounds shot through it at about a 180 or better power factor before it was retired. I personally put about 500 rounds through this gun.

Coincadentally, this frame has a strking resembelence to a Caspian Hi-Cap.......... Which happens to be the brand of open gun that Otto built for me in 1993, which I continue to shoot.

Enjoy

Marty Geringer

A-7424

Since October 1987

Peter Adams

FY-39604

+1 Peter

A little info about Hi-Caps.

I believe the first Hi-Cap at the USPSA Nationals was in 1988 or 1989. (I'm not quite sure of the year) I think 1988.

Otto Matyska, (Otto-Comp) from St. Louis shot a prototype 19 round .38 super hi-cap with a frame his own design, that I believe he cast himself, with magazines from Europe. Since at that time the rule book was vague about reloads if the stage called for a mandatory reload Otto ejected the magazine and when it cleared the gun he forced the same magazine back up into the gun.

As I recall that gun had a semi-profile compensator with 2 chambers and 4 ports in the barrel, It also had a pivot trigger and a huge magazine well. That frame is at Otto's shop with a few cracks in it. I bet that frame had over 100,000 rounds shot through it at about a 180 or better power factor before it was retired. I personally put about 500 rounds through this gun.

Coincadentally, this frame has a strking resembelence to a Caspian Hi-Cap.......... Which happens to be the brand of open gun that Otto built for me in 1993, which I continue to shoot.

Enjoy

Marty Geringer

A-7424

Since October 1987

IIRC, the first high-cap win was Jerry Barnhart at the 1990 or 1991 nationals using a frame that was cut up and re-welded to accept double-stack (CZ?) magazines. I remember seeing pictures of Otto Matyska's high cap somewhere...maybe in Front Sight? His stuff looked excellent. I remember I was at his place back in 1992 or 93 and was very close to ordering a custom gun from him. I wish he had a website so I could see more pictures of his work. Is he still in business?

Edited by mpolans

I was at that Nationals that Otto shot that gun as a spectator. The .45 single stack open gun he was building for me was not completed until 4 weeks after that match.

That was also the first time I heard him cuss in his native language. As he was in the middle of shooting the stage there was a pause.. then a lot of odd language noise. The guy next to me said what happened, and I replied the idiot ran a 19 round gun dry.... He forgot to reload.

His favorite saying back then was "that guy is a vistle veenie".

Marty

ah the memories. I miss the top of the line single stack open blasters of the day.

Kingman,

Since my 20 year old has started shooting and has "stolen" my Caspian Hi-Cap Otto-Comp, I've shot a few matches recently with my single-stack Springfield Armory Otto-Comp, Complete with an Aimpoint 5000 out of my old Ernie Hill Fast-Trac rig.

Whats this shoot, reload, shoot, reload stuff.

Dust the rust off your old open single stacks!!!!!!

Matt, I want my Hi-Cap back.............

Marty

A-7424

Interesting times.

There was work in the AT 84 (Action arms copy of the CZ)

Otto is such a great charicter. a must meet guy. Immagine coming from that background and doing what he has. Awsome.

Casting your own stuff. His guns were very KooL

John Dixon shot the prototype Berylum copper Para around that time maybe 1989 or 91? He said the mag cost 25k to make

they build the gun around the mag, did not even need a feed ramp. IIRC it was a 45.

Burner shot a scope at Topton, one of the first.

From Single stk 45 to single super to Scope single super to P-9 / Eaa to double stack in a short time. Leibenburg with

his Short 40 in the most impressive gun ever the Centimter I believe in 1987 ish.

I am not sure the gun in the article would work. the scope would get creamed on the first shot.

geo

www.egw-guns.com