Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 ~ Poorly Made

I have two used 1050's and a used 650. I have A) had trouble with each and B) found that I was for the most part, the trouble. The 1050 DOES require adjusting the primer slide travel distance exactly. Other than that, I can say the thig works.

Handle doesn't cycle. Bet that htere is a stacked case in the feed. (9 or 38 SC in a 40)

STOP, clear it, and continue.

Other problem is the occasional .22 that gets into a case and screws up the works.

Primers bouncing out of the cup? Cut off a .223 case, put a hose on it, feed the free end into a 3 pound coffee can. No lost primers.

Yes an occasional case will feed upside down, I find this rare, make sure you have right size case feed disk in place and depending upon the age of the unit, check the little springgy clip that pops out crooked cases.

650, that one has a couple differnt quirks. Easy to change ovver, but miss a case and you dump live primers, Catching the spent ones is also a bit harder since the press is moving unlike the 1050. Can't swage cases either.

I like them both.

I'll second not trying to turn out 3000 rounds an hour. Slow down a bit, keep it in the 900 RPH range. plenty fast enough.

I also have a 900 that I will probably get up and running some day. Two thigs I like about it: The case locator butons are spring loaded and remain inplace and the primer tray, no tubes, dump a tray into the machine, and go.

Jim

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just played around with it doing some case prep so far and the primer catcher cup thing fails to catch a good percentage of the primers. Why do they not use a tube like most every one else does.

Also if you are going to complain, Dillon lock rings on there dies suck.

For an 8 stage press it really is equivalent to a 5 stage in what you can do (plus the primer pocket swaging), I was hoping to use the powder check with a Kiss bullet feeder but it looks like that will not work.

:popcorn1:

And one more question. The bullet tray on mine is a plastic bin that is not located or look like the one in Dillons pictures; is this a new change?

The way I fixed my "Primer Catcher" issue was to fold over a business card and tape it across the top of the cup. Yes, the aluminum bullet tray is definitely a better setup. Saves me lots of movement over the plastic bin.

I fixed the primer catcher problem (handle was knocking the box off), by cutting the base off a Remingtom .223 empty cartridge case, jaming the case neck into nthe bottom of the frame and using clear plastic tubing to channel the spent primer to a remote container.

I got the idea off this forum. I take no credit for the originality of this mod.

HPIM0695-1.jpg

Wouldn't it be great/funny if Dillon included that mod as past of an upgrade kit with the new presses? A length of tubing and a chop-sawed 223 casing.

Heck, they could offer to sell those "kits" for five or ten bucks or so.

Wouldn't it be great/funny if Dillon included that mod as past of an upgrade kit with the new presses? A length of tubing and a chop-sawed 223 casing.

Heck, they could offer to sell those "kits" for five or ten bucks or so.

Hmmm, what a concept. Charging for design fixes :)

• 3 months later...
I have just played around with it doing some case prep so far and the primer catcher cup thing fails to catch a good percentage of the primers. Why do they not use a tube like most every one else does.

Also if you are going to complain, Dillon lock rings on there dies suck.

For an 8 stage press it really is equivalent to a 5 stage in what you can do (plus the primer pocket swaging), I was hoping to use the powder check with a Kiss bullet feeder but it looks like that will not work.

:popcorn1:

And one more question. The bullet tray on mine is a plastic bin that is not located or look like the one in Dillons pictures; is this a new change?

The way I fixed my "Primer Catcher" issue was to fold over a business card and tape it across the top of the cup. Yes, the aluminum bullet tray is definitely a better setup. Saves me lots of movement over the plastic bin.

I fixed the primer catcher problem (handle was knocking the box off), by cutting the base off a Remingtom .223 empty cartridge case, jaming the case neck into nthe bottom of the frame and using clear plastic tubing to channel the spent primer to a remote container.

I got the idea off this forum. I take no credit for the originality of this mod.

HPIM0695-1.jpg

What a great idea! BTW, I load 45acp on a super 1050 and yes it take some tweaking. I recommend taking it apart an cleaning it well before first use. You not only see how it works and how it goes back together (the instructions suck) but the powder which WILL stick to all that grease is now removed. All that is need is a thin coat of lubricant.

45acp uses Large Pistol Primers except for Win NT brass which uses small pistol. I found this out the hard way. Trying to put a LP into a SP hole can go bang. Most other reloading press problems have already been stated.

Has anyone heard from the person who started this thread. I just looked at it and it says he hasn't signed in since he posted this topic.

Tough crowd when the subject is Dillon machines....

I can't imagine going to something else.... :unsure:

I too noticed the original poster has not been contributing to this thread.

I would be interested in replies if I had such problems.

I have used all of Dillons presses except for the ShotGun SL900.

I have had the owners of 2 "Super 1050B" improved presses offer to trade their like new

machines for one of my old RL1050 machines. I say NO WAY to that.

I guess presses also fall into the category of "They just don't make them like they used to".

Good loading to all , GunHoreDer