Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once Fired Brass KABOOM

zhunter

I had a primer go off and set off a just loaded primer magazine. A primer in a 9mm case left the side wall while punching out the end and the anvil. It was load, but I was wearing eyes and ears. Was in a Super 1050 that was very new. I prefer my RL 1050 to the Super version.

So Z.... THe seller of the brass have anything to say?

Yes, I received a nice e-mail today.

He explained that the "NT" problem was a first, and said it would be impossible to run a business looking at every primer.

He was very gracious and asked if I would like a refund or anything else to make it right.

I was VERY pleased with his response and said no, I was more interested in no one getting hurt with primers going off due to the "NT" issue.

9mm's are a PITA, but the "NT" is dangerous in my opinion.

SO we have a professional brass seller who says he can't guarantee that the product he is selling is actually what he says he is selling....

I would think that his saying he can't check the brass and stay in business may be moot. If he sells a bunch of brass that he advertises as .45 and one is an NT and by this fact someone has a Kaboom and looses an eye or something he damned sure won't be in business - or in his house or car either probably...

The ultimate responsibility always lies with the guy behind the machine but I see a huge liability issue here....

Bummer for the seller.

WOW.....Glad your ok.

I load on a SDB and I have ruined a few primers cuz of the NT brass but I have never blasted one. I guess you get more leverage on the bigger presses than the SDB but I have always been able to tell when I hit a NT case.

SO we have a professional brass seller who says he can't guarantee that the product he is selling is actually what he says he is selling....

I would think that his saying he can't check the brass and stay in business may be moot. If he sells a bunch of brass that he advertises as .45 and one is an NT and by this fact someone has a Kaboom and looses an eye or something he damned sure won't be in business - or in his house or car either probably...

The ultimate responsibility always lies with the guy behind the machine but I see a huge liability issue here....

Bummer for the seller.

I don't see any fault to the seller at all. .45 ACP NT is still .45 ACP.

The guy running the press is the only one who can be responsible for safe operation. Loading brass that you have not checked is asking for trouble.

Bummer for the seller.

I don't see any fault to the seller at all. .45 ACP NT is still .45 ACP.

The guy running the press is the only one who can be responsible for safe operation. Loading brass that you have not checked is asking for trouble.

So it's kool if your 9mm brass is a mixture of Largo, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, 9x25 and whatever else is a 9mm case.

I think not.... :closedeyes:

the swage rod will just crush the pocket a little bit, probably making the problem worse. I've got a bucket of NT 45 Brass that I've seperated from the good stuff. I plan on loading it, my ammo sponsor does that, but I'm not sure of the load he uses with small primers.

So it's kool if your 9mm brass is a mixture of Largo, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, 9x25 and whatever else is a 9mm case.

Merlin,

this is, well, I'd say comparing apples and oranges.

.45" ACP is still .45" ACP (same brass dimensions), being it either classic .45" ACP or NT version. The latter has a different primer sized hole, ok, but the overall brass is exactly the same.

The 9mm variants you listed are all different when it comes to brass sizes: they're nominally (and physically) different calibers that are not supposed to be shot in a gun with a different chamber from the one of the same caliber.

.45" ACP NT rounds are meant to be shot in exactly the same guns that fire normal .45" rounds.

I agree with anybody else, NT brass sucks, and should prove the wrongest marketing idea on the planet, but you can't really blame a vendor for selling .45" NT brass as .45" ACP.

He explained that the "NT" problem was a first, and said it would be impossible to run a business looking at every primer.

He was very gracious and asked if I would like a refund or anything else to make it right.

I was VERY pleased with his response and said no, I was more interested in no one getting hurt with primers going off due to the "NT" issue.

I'd say the seller did offer a solution in return for a full refund for the brass. If you purchased what was supposed to be .45ACP mixed brass, The guy behind the press ultimately carries the responsibility of sorting it and loading appropriately. I load .45ACP in brass I gather from a county range and these NT cases have been around for years. Don't you guys inspect your brass before you load?

I'd say the seller did offer a solution in return for a full refund for the brass. If you purchased what was supposed to be .45ACP mixed brass, The guy behind the press ultimately carries the responsibility of sorting it and loading appropriately. I load .45ACP in brass I gather from a county range and these NT cases have been around for years. Don't you guys inspect your brass before you load?

Just an opinion, Larry. That's all. The true test of the situation will be in the courts when someone does take the supplier to task over his - "real or perceived" failure to provide a "reasonable inspection" of the brass. I see the word play on the "mixed brass" as being virtually useless in a legal contest.

I have reread my post and I am not "blaming" the vendor but commenting that someone most certainly will. If you can be sued for the temperature of coffee and for what is done with a firearm your company has manufactured which has since passed through many owners you can (and will IMO) most certainly be sued by someone hurt by what they perceive as your failure to properly inspect your product and make a reasonable determination as to what you are actually shipping out to you customers.

Yea I inspect my brass and I do accept responsibility for my reloads and with a considerable amount of .45 loaded over the years I have managed to catch all of the NT brass...so far..

I am NOT advocating a lawsuit and would never consider that course of action myself.... Just offering up an opinion of what I see.

I had my first ever reloading KaBOOM tonight!!!!

Loading .45 on my 1050, the downstroke was a bit stiff, but I finished the stroke and BAANNGGG

An "NT" piece of brass was mixed in with some once fired brass I had purchased.

In case you did not know, the primer pocket on "NT" brass is smaller and when the primer would not fit into the pocket, it ignited!!!

My ears are still ringing!! :angry2:

I set the swaging rod and use it as a "feeler" for those pesky NT cases. The press won't completely stroke when one sneaks in there.

Did the same a whiles back, and found out what the hole through the toolhead above that station is for; it's a blow hole. <_<

I set the swaging rod and use it as a "feeler" for those pesky NT cases. The press won't completely stroke when one sneaks in there.

Did the same a whiles back, and found out what the hole through the toolhead above that station is for; it's a blow hole. <_<

Frank is right on, my swag is NOW back in use!!! No more "NT" bangs for me!!!

I too also use the swage rod for "feeling" the nt primer pockets. I have it adjusted-up just enough for the swage tip to enter the pocket. This way, you can feel the resistence at the bottom of your stroke. At that point, I just raise the lever a little from the down position, remove the locator button, toss the POS nt case & continue on.

Yesterday I received a box in the mail.

It was from the Brass supplier. Looks like about 1500 once fired .45's and a bag of NEW Winchester .45 brass.

I asked for nothing in our correspondence.

I would say this is above and beyond the call of duty.

Thanks Brassman!!!

It was from the Brass supplier. Looks like about 1500 once fired .45's and a bag of NEW Winchester .45 brass.

Thanks Brassman!!!

Now that is outstanding customer service.

Thanks Brassman!!!

Or good marketing on his part from reading THE competition shooting forums.

Thanks Brassman!!!

I have made a couple large buys from Brian and got a very nice deal with great service... I will do so again I am sure. :)