Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rain Cover For Open Gun

pwalker

Where I shoot it rains a lot and we are now coming into the rainy season again.

Last time that it rained at a match, in my car I had a couple of those disposable shower caps that they put in hotel bathrooms - clear plastic with a thin elastic edge. I popped it over the gun in between stages and it did an excellent job of keeping the gun and scope dry.

However, it looks a bit daggy!

Does anyone make a neat raincover for an open gun / sight? I am looking for something that just could pop on and off (gravity should hold it in place). It would have to be quite light, made from some thin water-proof fabric. Ever seen anything like this?

Regards

Peter

Peter,

One of the big plastic wrap companies (Glad, Saran, Trojan) makes a kitchen version of the hotel shower cap for covering food containers. They come in nice pretty colors, pink, and blue depending on size, I think. I can't remember the brand name or product name, but they should be available in Thai supermarkets along side the plastic food wrap. Somebody help my missing brain cells what's the name and what size fits what guns?

Dan Austin, one of our local reloading vendors is selling a really nice gun cover made with the same material or by the same company that makes 'ScopeCoats" It's very similiar to a lighthweight wetsuit material and covers the gun very well. I'll post a pic and a link if I can find one tonight when I get home. That's assuming I find the above mentioned missing brain cells and remember.

I use the shower caps. Just stop by the local drug store and you can get a pack of 3 for about $1.

Better yet, whenever you're in a motel take the freebies they have in the rooms. If you want a bunch, just go to the desk and ask for a couple to take home for your 'little girls'!

:P

Gallon-size Ziploc baggies work great if you're into the plastic thing. Start in the middle of the top edge and cut out a semicircle to the middle of one of the side edges. Stick the barrel in one corner and zip the remaining zip-edge around the butt.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I like the look of the Rescomp - CR-Speed covers so I've ordered a couple of them.

The suggestion of "wear a long coat and put it over your gun" made me realise that I should have been more specific about my location in my original post. I live in Bangkok Thailand. Last match, the temperature was 37 degrees celcius (99 F) with humidity approaching 90%. Pulling a coat over the gun would cause heat stroke... B)

Nolan: if you find that URL for Dan Austin, I'd appreciate it.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

The plastic covers are Saran 'QuickCovers" the medium size work OK for limited guns. I haven't tried them on my open.

I still haven't found the URL for Dan's store the Powder Keg. Anybody here have a link?

Here's what the gun cover looks like. (the suspicious white powder is from my Hostess Donettes powdered sugar coated donuts, honest. sniff, sniff, hey I have allergies too!)

guncover.jpg

i work in the healthcare field and use a shoe cover. they're blue and made of a paper like material that won't scratch my blasters, fit on both my open and 6" limited blaster. it's good for dust which is the biggest problem on our frequently dusty range, but it probably wouldn't hold up to rain as well as the plactic stuff mentioned above.

That one was aimed at cpty1 Duane. His Glocks sport the fuzz.

Singlestack, as much as you shoot you should know indiscriminate fire can hit innocent bystanders :o

That "fuzz" as you call it is my secret. You should try it.