Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open glock

Good Time Gang

i have been shooting for several years with a guy that runs an open glock. i hate to say it, but the thing never runs for more than 3-4 stages. i am sure that there are open glocks out there that run. i am sure that some of you have them, and i have read about some of them on the forum. my question is, can i take my production 34, buy a slide set up with barrel and comp from lone wolf, and get a glock to run open minor for steel, and change springs to run open major for uspsa? i know that i would have to have mods like a mag well and what not for uspsa, but i am more interested in steel and just playing in uspsa for now while i shoot production. any info on this topic would be great as i have just sold an sti lower and have a burn hole in my pocket and dont want the money to fall out. thanks, GTG

Yes they will run. Mine has been running for several years now. Just got home from a 6 stage

club match, no problems. Ran fine through 2 Area matches, 1 Nationals and 3 Crazy Crocs.

17 would be a better choice than a 34. Either way get a gun with a 2 pin locking

block for major. One comp will work for both major and minor, but

not quite as well as a dedicated major or minor comp. You could probably do some load

work with different rate powders and overcome some of the difference.

Sights---I run melted in Docter sights. Mostly because I'm cheap and lazy, and run whatever

garbage brass I can find. S&B, A-Merc, whatever. Gun runs it fine, but every c-more mount

I've tried will choke on one that jams against the mount eventually. Sorting brass

would probably help.

My 2¢ worth,

Bill

Open 17, would you mind showing us a picture of your Open Glock?

Thanks

It's a little ugly and beat up, but I take some pix of it soon. Never tried posting a pix to the

forum----guess it's about time I figured out how.

Bill

Open Glocks can work just fine if set up right. I'm looking at an SJC gun sitting on my desk right now that has never malfunctioned. I'm also taking a 17 with me to Area 6 to drop off with the guys at SJC to have customized. If you're going to get the Lone Wolf setup get the 17 slide and comp. You're still going to have to figure out a sighting system. The best ones I've found are the C-More setups. I've had a few and as long as the ejection port is relieved they seem to work fine. The down side is you're frame mounting an optic. If you want the option of just switching out top ends, the easiest solution is the slide mounted optic like the Docter or JPoint. I've just never had any luck at all with them. Dim dot and wandering point of aim were my two biggies. You're best bet is to just buy a 17 and trick it out like you want. Price of a new 17 is not going to be a lot more than the slide combo you're looking at. You can normally find a 17 for $400.00 ish.

was looking at the fast fire optic. the info on this is great. please keep info up and feel free to pm me on how to go about it. like i said, i want to shoot open for fun and for steel. i have hit b in production and have 10K lead sitting around b4 area 3. i am not going to make a major change, but want to enjoy myself shooting steel minor and uspsa club matches. any pics and what not would be cool. thanks again, GTG

My SJC Major 9 G17 has ran flawess for the last 1000 rnds at 169 PF since it was new, and i've only had it since the end of Jan. I couldn't have asked for any better.

It runs minor good as well, although I didn't run much of it, but SJC provides a 10lb recoil spring for that purpose. Major loads are softer and flatter than the minor, works the comp better.

I wouldn't shoot lead through any comp, at any velocity. You're just going to leave a ton of lead that is a pain in the butt to clean out there. If you do, don't get an aluminum comp. You're going to have to use steel to get that stuff up and you'll damage the comp. I've heard good and bad about the Fast Fire. The ones I've shot were in fixed applications, rifle and shotgun and worked great. I'm not sure how it will hold up on a slide moving back and forth with the switch mounted on the side. I wish they would change that to the front or the back. We'll see.

If you want one that runs like a true open gun is supposed to.....I'd look into one of the open packages from Jon and Steave at SJC. They know what it takes to make a Glock rock in any configuration. Jon just built up a few on CCF raceframes. One is his and another is going to one of his shooters that shoots Bianchi. Jon had that gun shooting an inch and a half at 50 yards and running reliably. Jons personal gun is quite awesome with the CCF frame. He does alot to the frame to ensure its reliable. So far hes got about 1500 trouble free rounds through his. His triggers are unbelievable if you want a super light/crisp trigger(less than 16ounces) with no pretravel.

As far as making a Lone Wolf upper. Its really a hit or miss. It will never shoot like a true open gun and it may not be reliable and then again.....you may get lucky. The few guys I know shooting them are all shooting minor and they tend to run OK. All the SJC open major guns I see around here run quite well. We have alot of them down here since SJC is located in Georgia. They are quite popular.

thank you for all the information. i was wondering what problems the none SJC glocks run into. i was wanting to build a very economical upper that i could slap on top of my production rig to see if i liked it. i dont want to go b*lls to the wall to start with, but have something that i can use for steel and or uspsa. if i can understand the problems with the none SJC set up, using a production lower, i might be able to figure something out, but i dont want to through good money after bad being the guinea pig. if it is going to get too expensive, i have a friend that builds his own s_i's and can go that route. i just dont want to spend too much money. and yes i do squeak when i walk. thanks, GTG

Oooh. Why didn't I see this post before...

Been shooting a G34 for a couple of years now.

I have changed the springs with Wolff springs, except for the recoil spring. There i have a Sprinco recoil reducer, with what i believe is an ISMI-spring.

I have a Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector w/trigger stop-tab, Dremelled to what I believe can be close to perfect.

Bought an extended Plasmanitrated IGB-barrel, ported it (since all(?)) Glock comps are butt-ugly... ...it takes on lead like butter (the good way).

I've got a Seidler mount w/Aimpoint CompC3 on top, Dawson Precision magwell, with a brass plug to weigh down the grip, and had a friend of mine to lathe out a slide-racker to me.

People come up to me and say; "Do you shoot open with a Glock?!?" - I smile and says "yeah!"

-It gives me time to go eat a burger, or go to the toilet, while other people have to stand in the safety-area cleaning their mags, or worse!

Oh, yeah! It works! -Only hassle I have, is to change griptape every twice or third match! :devil:

Edited by Sandormen

Shot 1st match w/new G34 9mm major open gun last Sat. Maybe 10 rounds thru it before match, that includes sight in. It has Fast Fire red dot, KKM barrel and 4 port comp, Ice mag well and TF big stick mags. It's accurate, flat and malfunction free. It's a KEEPER. :)

What do you think of the 4MOA dot of the FastFire? The Lone Wolf sight is 6MOA, but the dot isn't bright enough for a light colored target in bright sunlight. (D'oh!)

Just build one with the g17. It's fun, easy and cheap! All drop in parts!

I already walked 2 guys in cloning mine and they all work.

Since all the information is already posted on the forum

you can do it yourself without any walking on my part!

Build it, shoot it. If anything malfunctions, make it work. If anything breaks make it stronger.

In the end you will have saved a ton of money in gunsmithing, have a butt ugly Glock open

that works! Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that would be you! :)

Suburban Commando

It worked OK, the day was bright sunlight w/ lots of white poppers. The dot is not close to being as bright as the Bevenized Dr on my other G34 but it's bright enough. Next question will it take the pounding a slide rider gets?

So far I'm quite satisfied with the Fast Fire. I did drill a hole in the switch and one behind it and epoxy it in the on position.

This thing may be your solution.

I've shot one and must say it works great and it can easily be switched back to a limited or production gun,

I like that bolt on creation. How flat did it shoot ?

It worked very well considering it is a bolt on convertible unit.

I'm playing with OPEN too....

SJCConv.jpg

Tip #1. If you have a GREAT shooting FMJ or Plated .40 load now, it just got better.

Tip #2. If you are a pro level, trophy class Master or Grand Master. You have better options.

The round capacity limit will be a negative. Not for me. I have plenty of time for "a" reload. :)

This is my first "Dot". So I have no point of reference. It works in a variety of light condition and is sharp.

I can't tell you how nice it is to NOT incorporate corrective lenses to see the front sight. And a final note.

Since the sight is platform mounted it takes very little abuse.

Jim M

I don't post much about my open glock...because I've posted about it so many times before. Mine ran. G34 with a KKM barrel and comp. Aimtech mount (not tiger-shark). C-more. No tuning of the ejection. No lowering of the ejection port.

That sight is good and bad. It is high above the bore. High enough that it doesn't jam. I shot fine with it, but some don't like a dot that high. The pins for the mount were soft, and they bent.

I got the bright idea to low the mount some. I milled off the weaver rails and drilled and tapped the mount. It no longer ran so great, but that is also when I discovered the bent pins.

Mine is not real high mileage, so take all of this with a grain of salt.