Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barsto Barrels.......again

Tree Rat

Barsto barrel users.......

1. What model gun did you retrofit?

3. Did you have your barrel fitted, and if so by who?

3. How was fit and function for those that bought "drop-in" barrels?

4. Did you see a +/- velocity change for a given load as compared to the factory barrel of the same length?

5. Do the barrels incorporate a significant increase in case support over the factory barrels?

6. Is the the set-up reliable, i.e. would you use it for defense/tactical application with as much confidence as the factory barrel?

I have a G-22 and reload ALOT of aggressive loads and am looking for options other than what is offered with the factory set-up.

TR

I bought a brand new 35 and sent it to Custom Glock Racing before I ever shot it. MK fit a Bar-Sto and installed a Top Fuel trigger. I like them both alot. The barrell has signifigantly more support than a stock Glock. I can remember two light primer strikes, but those could have been my fault. Any other problems I've had are directly attributable to me. In other words, as long as I case/barrell check my reloads, this gun has been very reliable, and accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for defensive purposes with my reloads or Federal factory ammo. In fact, I have, although I don't leave one in the chamber due to the light trigger.

Tom Bergman

I have 2 G35's i use for IPSCstandard.

The oldest still has the stockbarrel,

The youngest has a Barsto barrel.

It was fitted by my regular gunsmith.

He also shortened this barrel and gave it a target/match-crowning.

The barrel was original a 5.5" one and therefore it had to be shortened.

(gun has to fit the IPSCbox)

My regular load's PF dropped from 174 - 178 to 169 - 173

Casesupport is so extreem that shot cases drop in the Dillon gauge without any problem, before sizing.

I use the gun only for competition thusfar no problems.

Greetings

Adrie

I have 2 G-34's with Bar-sto barrels.

One of the barrels was final fitted by a local gunsmith the other by Bar-Sto

The first Bar-Sto barrel I bought was a "drop-in" it was "final fitted" by a local gunsmith. It wouldn't drop-in. Accuarcy from both is excellent and equal.

My Bar-Sto's shoot faster than factory barrels. I found I could use about 0.3 grs. less powder with the Bar-Sto's for the same PF. When I got my second gun/barrel the first had about 30-40,000 rounds through it. There was a statistical difference at that point of about 20fps, with the new barrel being faster.

I believe the cases are more supported than in factory barrels. Most of the time like one of the other posts said I can drop the fired cases straight into a case gauge.

Both of my Bar-Sto barrelled guns are 100% reliable with good ammo.

I put a Bar-Sto in my G22. The barrel hood needed to be shortened very slightly to fit the slide. I didn't shorten it quite enough the first time and found the slide got hard to rack after 100-200 rounds. A little more clearance made it 100% reliable. The chamber is a lot tighter than stock as the other posters mentioned. I can't say how it compares to the stock barrel, as I have never put the stock one back in. With the addition of nite sites, it is now my home defense gun. Scotty

This is encouraging.........

I want the gun for IDPA/SSP or USPSA production, a blaster using lots of warm reloads, and defense gun using only quality factory ammunition (not that my reloads are not quality).

Thanks for the responses.

TR

1. Barsto barrel installed in a Glock model 35. I bought the gun used and had no idea how many rounds had been fired in it. I knew I've put a lot through it in the last couple of years, and it never really grouped the way I felt it should. The Barsto reduced my group sizes quite a bit.

2. The barrel was the gunsmith model, not drop in, and I fitted it myself. I had never fitted a barrel by the way.

3. N/A since this was the gunsmith version

4. Yes I did see a velocity change. Ammo that usually chronos at a 168 or 169 now chronos at 171-172. I was surprised at this as I had always heard the polygonal rifling in the Glock barrels provided greater velocity than standard rifling. The Barsto is also about a half inch longer than the stock barrel so that would have increased the velocity some as well.

5. There is more case support than the stock barrel, but "significant" is a subjective term. I don't know if I would go that far or not. I guess everything little bit helps if you're firing hot loads.

6. IMO, my barrel is as reliable and dependable as the stock configuration. I shot the gun at both the South Carolina Section match and the Area 6 USPSA Championships. Even though this isn't a defensive gun, I would not have even considered shooting the gun in those matches if there were any doubts in my mind at all regarding reliability. I would not hesitate to use this gun, or a similar setup for defensive purposes.

Good luck.

The Barsto is also about a half inch longer than the stock barrel so that would have increased the velocity some as well.

Longer than stock? I have been recently informed that some might consider that and external mod that adds weight. :wacko:

Yes, I guess that extra half inch could be considered extra weight. No one questioned it at either the SC Section or Area 6 matches. I might better inquire about it though. That would be a nasty surprise.

Chris,

I officially inquired about it because a close friend asked me to. He has a Glock 22 and was disappointed to find that it chronos about 80 fps slower than a Glock 35 with the same load. (This may not be the case for all, but was the case with this load and these guns, on that particular day). He wanted to try a Glock 35 barrel in his 22 and just let it stick out the end of the slide an extra .83"

It's a no go though. (That's assonance right, alliteration is with consonants?) Anyway, Amidon replied back swifty and said it was illegal. As long as it wasn't threaded with a weight hanging on it, I have a little bit of trouble with the fact that it's not a "replacement barrel". But according to his email, no 6" barrel in a 5" 1911, no G35 barrel in a G22, etc.

Get the hacksaw out and commence! Good luck, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bryant

I recently put a KKM barrel in my G35. The barrel was actually a G24 barrel...'cause that was what was available. I haven't done any formal measurements, but it sticks out a good .70 extra.

I never imagined it could be considered a "...device to control or reduce recoil...".

I currently have a G34 with a Bar-Sto barrel, and it's my opinion that they are way over rated. (Chamber support left much to be desired) The only Glock aftermarket barrels that I would recommend would be either Briley or KKM.

Thanks DB. Man....I guess everyone can call me Sammy Sosa now. I never thought about it, but I guess I see the point. However, this is not a barrel for one model pistol installed in another model. This is a gunsmith fit, Barsto G35 barrel, purchased directly from Barsto, and installed in a G35. I'm gonna call Barsto and talk to them about it. See what their thoughts are. The barrel was crowned and everything so I can't imagine when they say gunsmith fit that they expect the barrel to be re-cut to length and recrowned. Their advertisements only mention oversizing in the barrel hood and lug areas. At least on the upshot, I'm shooting production for the FGNs, then it'll be open after that for a while, so I can get the barrel cut and get legal. I fit the barrel, but I ain't about to go cutting on the thing to shorten it.

Just talked to John at Barsto. He said it was not their intention that their G35 fitted barrels be re-cut and re-crowned. He did say if I would send my stock Glock barrel and the Barsto barrel back to them that they would cut their barrel to the same length as the stock barrel. I guess I better get them in the mail. I'm afraid I won't be able to shoot that gun anymore after they take off all that weight from the end of the barrel :unsure:

I measured the Barsto barrel length and it is noticeably longer than the stock barrel although not quite the half inch I mentioned in my previous post. Maybe it looked longer than it was due to the stainless of the barrel contrasting with the black finish on the Glock. The Barsto is just a touch over a quarter of an inch longer than the stock barrel. Precisely .28 inches if my measurements are correct. I did also receive a call from Irv Stone at Barsto. Apparently John, who I spoke with at Barsto mentioned our conversation to Irv who wanted some more specifics. He said they must have made a mistake when they cut that barrel to length. Irv also said return it and they'd take care of the problem.

Recently I was testing some 9x19 Major (168 PF out of a 5 inch barrel) loads and the only barrel that hiccupped with that load was the Bar-Sto. In a nutshell the brass ruptured at the 6 o’clock position.

At first I thought it might have been bad lot of brass (new Starline) since I had shot hundreds of rounds of the particular configuration before with once fired and new brass through a Briley and a KKM barrel but when it happened a second time with the same Bar-Sto barrel I decided then and there to never use that barrel again for this type of load.

I got final and formal clarification from John Amidon at USPSA HQ. Please see below. The earlier question posed to him seemed to be interpreted more as a scenario of putting a 6 inch barrel into a 5 inch gun. Anyway, here's my question and the reply. Flex....might want to keep a copy of this in your bag...just in case.

In a message dated 6/6/03 12:10:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time:

I have a Barsto barrel I purchased directly from Barsto. It is their Glock

model 35 barrel and I installed it into a Glock 35. The Barsto barrel is a

little over a quarter of an inch, .28 inches to be exact, longer than the

stock barrel. Does this .28" make my gun illegal for limited?

No, you purchased a stock replacement, for the standard barrel in

the same model. Had your purchased an aftermarket barrel, not

made specifically for the Glock, then that may have caused a problem?

John

It means (me thinks) since I purchased a Barsto barrel specifically made for a G35 and installed it in a G35 the configuration is limited legal since my new barrel is Barsto's stock replacement offering for the Glock 35.

Conversely, had I installed a Barsto, or any other aftermarket barrel, made for another model Glock or other pistol, and installed it in my G35, and the new barrel was longer than the stock barrel, it would be illegal.

Chris-

How hard was it to fit your gunsmith barrel? Like you, I have not fitted a barrel before and I was thinking about shooting lead bullets. The cheapest I can find jacketed / plated is $44 / 1000 for 9mm, and I can get lead for about $29 / 1000. (I am in KS) I was thinking about either a BarSto or KKM, but I would like a good fit. Thanks!

I didn't think it was that hard. The barrel was oversize somewhat in the hood area as the barrel would not go all the way into the slide. The hood was a little too long and a little too wide. After I got the barrel to fit into the slide, I tried to put the slide on the lower and it was obvious the barrel ramp was way too long. I had to take quite a bit of metal off there.