Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Crimp Measurement

downzero

Two methods:

Measure the rim after it comes out of the sizing die.

Bell it .010 -.012 for bullet seating.

Crimp it to its original diameter.

or

The diameter of the bullet plus the thickness of the brass on both sides.

(.355 + .010 +.010)

I split the difference between these two, and crimp to about .378

You will want to observe any accuracy or reliability differences as you experiment...

Eric G. advocates NO crimp, and I think Brian advocates as little as possible. You're not trying to hold the bullet in with crimp, just trying to get the brass back into shape.

SA

The functions for crimp in a super are:

1. To allow for a cartridge profile that feeds well in your particular gun. I've seen and owned supers which would only feed reliably withe a slightly tighter criimp i.e. .378 or a little less. It was just a function of the chamber and the feeding angles to allow the cartridge to go in smoothly. Other guns are simply not as finicky and you can get away with less. Not all guns are perfectly chambered and most of us have to live with what we have. The .378 will usually leave a barely visible indention on the bullet if pulled.

2. With some longer magazines in certain guns you will sometimes get a bit of a nose down problem occasionally and this is usually caused by variations in length. Nothing is written in stone, but Caspians seem to like rounds a bit shorter like mentioned before at 1.250, but Paras like 1.255 and STI/SVI will often tolerate even a little longer like 1.260. Your experience may vary. In any case with the slight variation you will get from most reloaders of +.005 to -.005 you may encounter a little bit of smash into the feed ramp occassionally. A little crimp will prevent bullet setback in these situations and more consistent shot to shot performance. .378 will usually do this trick.

3. If you load slower powders that fill the case you will sometimes need a little crimp to prevent the powder from backing the bullet out. Some powders like N105 really like to be a little compressed and will give excellent accuracy and performance this way. It's what works in your gun.

4. The downside of too much crimp is poor accuracy and you can tell it in group size. Real tight and you can even get bullet tumble.

My crimp is always .378-.379 and I usually get 1/2" groups at 25 yards. If I pull my bullets I can see a slight indentation. By the way all these measurments are with a taper and not a role crimp. Try a few at different settings and the feed back from the gun will tell you if they are going into the chamber slick or kind of chunking in. The target will tell you about accuracy. Good luck.

• 11 years later...

Do you know if bayou have different crimps? Bullet is at .356 and I'm crimping at .381-382. When I crimp more, accuracy goes out the window and I get a wild bullets every once in a while. No issues at .382, actually, very accurate. Much more then say, Xtremes. Any thoughts? Thanks.

What others have said. .002 crimp. Measure a loaded round behind the crimp and take off .002. Overcrimping is a buzzkill for accuracy on jacketed rounds and an absolute tumble inducer on moly projectiles like Bayou.