Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11-87 Interceptor Latch Modification Do-It-Yourself Question

ERIC

Since Defensive Edge no longer does this modification, we are left to fend for ourselves. My latch is pretty loose after 5 years of shooting and started causing problems. Instead of installing a thicker retaining clip, I thought I’d try doing the modification myself. Does anyone have a parts list of what’s needed for this so I don’t have to do a trial and error at the hardware store? Also, does anyone know the exact location on the receiver to drill out the old latch retainer stud (with respect to the trigger assembly holes)?

buy a new latch, and package of three thickness clips from brownells, clean up the new latch sharp edges, install with a little play and forget about it. Easy, cheap, fast

That's the easy, cheap way. Who wants to do that, when you can drill on your gun and maybe have to buy a new receiver?

Since Defensive Edge no longer does this modification, we are left to fend for ourselves. My latch is pretty loose after 5 years of shooting and started causing problems. Instead of installing a thicker retaining clip, I thought I’d try doing the modification myself. Does anyone have a parts list of what’s needed for this so I don’t have to do a trial and error at the hardware store? Also, does anyone know the exact location on the receiver to drill out the old latch retainer stud (with respect to the trigger assembly holes)?

ERIC,

I have been wondering about this myself. It is my understanding that the bushing used is the only non-hardware store part in the DE interceptor mod. I'm curious to hear if anyone has had success with a similar mod using common hardware. If there is anyone out there that has an 1100 or 11-87 with the real-deal DE mod, that could give us the specs on the bushing, we'd sure appreciate it.

Ryan Zamberlan

ERIC,

I have been wondering about this myself. It is my understanding that the bushing used is the only non-hardware store part in the DE interceptor mod. I'm curious to hear if anyone has had success with a similar mod using common hardware. If there is anyone out there that has an 1100 or 11-87 with the real-deal DE mod, that could give us the specs on the bushing, we'd sure appreciate it.

Ryan Zamberlan

I have both, but what you propose would entail taking apart my guns. I know my way aroung Glocks, 1911s, and ARs, but I don't feel confident with shotguns. Maybe because I just don't like shotguns a lot and don't spend a lot of time with them. With matches coming up I'd hate to show up at Shawn's shop with a box of parts and beg him to fix it!

Jobob, if you don't feel confortable taking it apart, for god's sake, don't do it. Nobody would want you stuck with an unusable shotgun.

I e-mailed Shawn last week to see if he could help but haven't heard back from him. I'm sure he's pretty busy.

He IS busy. I was at his shop about a month ago to do some needed tweeking on my 1100 that he had worked on. So he will fix guns he worked on earlier, but he told me that he just doesn't have time to do anything but MORs now. He said also that he didn't know anyone who would do the Remington mods he use to do. So, we're back to a Dremel (or mill if you prefer such finery) to enlarge the loading port, and replacing the interceptor latch periodically.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I just picked up an 1187 because I like guns. Is the interceptor latch mod something that typically only needs done after several thousand rounds and things start to get loose?

On some guns the interceptor latch can work loose due to wear on the stud machined into the receiver. A loose latch can cause function problems. The immediate fix is to replace the standard circlip with a thicker one, and a kit of circlips of different thicknesses is available for cheap from Brownells. The interceptor latch mod is something I probably would not attempt unless the Brownells kit was insufficient.

With the above said, I have been running an 11-87 in practical shotgun and 3-gun competition since 1996. At that time, I bought it used... the gun was made in 1994. This gun has a lot of mileage, and it still runs well. Other stuff has worn out, but the interceptor latch has not thus far been a point of failure. Indeed, the world is full of very high mileage 1100s and 11-87s used as loaners at trap and skeet clubs, and they are chosen because they are cheap and long lasting. YMMV, but I would not lose too much sleep over this unless/until you have a problem.