Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Sights

bird

Green for me. But I don't use a big dot - a big bright dot of any color burns out my sight picture. Instead of blossoming out the end of the fiber, I keep it buried in the channel drilled into the metal portion of the sight. It's bright enough to pick up quickly, allowing a quick focus on the front sight on medium range targets, but I can focus on the top of the metal part of the sight for a classic iron sight picture for precise distance shooting (like I can really hit anything beyond 30 yards at all), and, of course, it's point shooting, or mebbe gun silhouette or at most "dot anywhere on brown" for close in work.

Mis dos centavos, nada mas.

I had been using a green for the past few years. The reason being is my intention was to use the fiber to help "find" the front sight, while still using a traditional sight picture. The red was too bright and distracting to look past it to the front post.

I've found now that I progressed since then, it has become a hinderance for the tighter shots, at least for me. But hey, it's all personal preference.

• 1 month later...

TGO was using a fiber optic front site on his XD40 Tactical at Area 5. I don't know which brand and I didn't check on the color. He had the stock rear site.

His second gun had a Bomar melted into the slide but it had just been completed and he had not shot it yet. It also had a fiber optic front.

Sergio,

In IPSC-production you cannot, in USPSA-production you can.

There is a post on this somewhere under IPSC/USPSA-rules and "sensible rules for production" about what is ok in IPSC.

IPSC:

On sights it is basicly no change (machining) to the slide, same type of sights on the gun. Meaning you can change sights allong to what is mounted on the "factory gun". This may mean you cannot change to adjustables from fixed, however if there is an "adjustable sights version" of your model gun (do not read "brand") you can change from fixed to adjustable.

John

• 10 months later...
TGO was using a fiber optic front site on his XD40 Tactical at Area 5. I don't know which brand and I didn't check on the color. He had the stock rear site.

His second gun had a Bomar melted into the slide but it had just been completed and he had not shot it yet. It also had a fiber optic front.

If I am not mistaken,I think Rob Letham uses a red fiber optic front sight.When I was in the U.S.A.,I went to a gun store in Sacramento,California and the Springfield 1911 pistols with Rob Leathm's signature(TGO) on them had red fiber optic front sights.Also,in his website,there is a section there where it shows some pictures of Leatham's guns and they have red fiber optic front sights.

Anyway,I just got my 2 Sti Trojan pistols a couple of weeks ago.One of them has a red fiber optic front sight and the other,a green fiber optic front sight.So far,I've only tried them in an indoor range and I seem to prefer the green fiber front sight.I still have to try them both outdoors to see which I prefer between the red or green fiber optic front sight.

baron45

I started with a red one, switched to green, then back to red.

I found that with a light colored background ( sandstone color ) and bright sunlight (socal summer ) the green washed out. The red stands out. At least for me.