Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are The Best 10rd Mags?

bird

Wilson mags are proven, time tested, and the best period. Chip mags are ok but not the same quality, seen a lot of the 10 rounders that will puke rounds on a hard slide lock reload. Tripp mags are new and untested, the main feature of extra high round placement could be a bandaid fix for some guns though.

I'm using 8 Power Mags that have functioned flawlessly in several 1911s. Current L-10 gun is a Kimber Custom Classic Target. Shooting Stars have been fine 8 round mags as well.

The 10 Wilson .38 Super mags I have for IDPA are a pain. The springs are too stiff until a few hundred rounds before they wear out and I have to e-mail Wilson for new followers (cracks) every 6 months to a year depending on use. The word from Wilson is that this is normal. Using the Wilson spring and follower in Colt mags eliminates the stiff springs but the followers still crack as often. I've been unwilling to spend the cash for the chance of these problems with my L-10 gun.

Wilson has good service, but I'm tired of using it.

I've fired over 20k rounds in the past two years through my crusty old SA 45 shooting Limited-10 and it has been my experience that the Wilson 10 rounders are THE best. BUT the only other 10 round mag I have tried in the Ed Brown, which are made by Metalform. The Brown's get unreliable after awhile and the replacement springs they sell for them suck. Conversely the Wilson's stay reliable, even with 10 year old springs. I did have the tab that prevents overinsertion break off of one Wilson mag body, but Wilson sent a new tube for free.

My vote goes to Wilson.

I recently switch over from CMC 10rd Power Mags to Wilson 47T

I shot over 10k rounds through my dozen CMC Power Mags. They all work well except for one little problem.... as others have mention I had to trim the basepads for my magwells(S&A and Ed Brown).

I did the switch because I have always like Wilson's 47D and I found I was able to get a better "feel" with Wilson's mag, ie with the long basepad. Also I like the fact that the "over-insertion tab" in on the Wilson mag instead of been on CMC's basepad.

However, I do miss not having the numbered holes on the CMC to check how many rounds I have left.

At the last match at our IDPA club, a new shooter was asking the club president what are the best 1911 magazines. The reply: "Shooters like what works - so they like Wilson magazines. Now, I'm cheap so I buy Chip McCormick. Why should I spend $30 for Wilsons when I can get Chip McCormick for $10?" I agree, that's important. AAMOF, I think all my opponents should use the cheapest equipment available.

All I've ever shot out of my 1911's have been Chip McCormick (CMC) Shooting Star mags. I've never had a problem in any of my guns (Colts/Springfields) that could be attributed to the magazine using either the 10 round mags or the 8 rounds mags.....as far as I'm concerned...shoot what works.....CMC mags work! The fact that they cost about 1/2 what Wilson mags cost...makes them all that much better. :rolleyes:

I use Wilson 47D's for carry and CMC Shooting Stars at the range. I also have some Metalforms that came with my SA's. All have served me well.

Oh, by the way, hi everone. Hope to learn and contrubute.