Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are The Best 10rd Mags?

bird

I recently purchased a .45 single-stack 1911 that I will take possession of in a few weeks.

I have done a bit of research on the www and the top 3 have been:

*metalform

*wilson

*cmc power mags

What works in the real world of competition with the single stack 1911 .45?

Any comments positive or negative are most welcome.

Thnks

bird

I have had good luck with both the CMC Power mags and Wilsons, the Wilsons have a nicer finish and are a bit smoother but I prefer the feel of the Power mags, both brands have been 100% in my Kimber shooting L10.

I use only the Wilson 8 rounders for IDPA.

You can't go wrong with the Wilson, but the Power Mags are just fine too and often significantly less expensive.

The only downside with the Power Mags (10rd) is if you have a mag well. Sometimes (not always), if you have a magwell, you may have to file some plastic from the little "boots" on the Power Mags to get them to seat in the gun properly. It's a 2-minute process, but something you may have to do.

bird,

You know this debate never seems to die. IMHO I think one should “try before you buy”, running each brand in YOUR gun if at all possible. Both Wilson and McCormick make fine products but they may or may not “run” in your individual gun.

I shoot L-10 with a Kimber Gold Match and when I bought the gun I also bought a bunch of McCormick 10 rounders and had a LOT of problems making them run and through that process wished that I’d have bought Wilson’s. After quite a bit of tinkering all of my McCormick’s now run 100 percent and I’m a happy camper. Conversely, a shooting buddy bought a Springfield Trophy Match and a bunch of Wilson’s and his experience exactly mirrored mine including wishing he’d bought CMC’s! Now we both have absolutely reliable guns/mags but only after a lot of work tuning. I think with enough work, any QUALITY mag can be MADE to work.

Good Luck,

Ed

Wilson, Wilson, Wilson If they don't work, they will make them work or send you knew ones. I bought some used on the internet (old style) and they sent me new ones FREE. Nothing like someone who will stick behind thier product.

Guest Larry Cazes

Well, I guess I'm unusual because I use both Wilsons and CMCS depending on the conditions. The one problem I have found with CMCs is that the feed angle set by the follower is somewhat variable from the factory. I often have to tweak the Steel followers to make them feed reliably. The wilson follower is molded plastic and is fixed. The advantage that the CMCs have in my oppinion is that the follower design is more open then the Wilsons and less likely to be effected by dirt and sand that might get into the mag from being dropped on the ground. So to summarize, the CMCs need more tuning but are more robust under harsh conditions. I really do use both.......

Larry

I have used and continue to use both the Wilson and the CMC.That being said,neither have worked 100% of the time.I shoot a Springfield Loaded model and have never had aproblem with the factory 7 rd mags that came with it nor have I had any problems with the CMC Shooting Stars or Wilson 8 rders.Also the overinsertion tab on the Wilson will break off sometimes,no problem just send it back to them.My advice would be to try one of each(borrow one from a fellow shooter)and see which one you prefer.

I had 4 Wilsons. They worked flawlessly, but I broke the little overinsertion foot off of two of them, and decided not to fool with them anymore.

True to form, Wilson's offered to replace all 4 with their new design, which uses an extended floorplate instead of the welded-on foot to prevent overinsertion, but didn't argue with me when I said I'd just as soon have 4 of my usual 7-rounders.

4 days later, they were here. Great folks. And I don't need 10 round magazines anyway.

Joe

Guest Dick W Holliday

i've got 4 Wilsons and if i use them with H&G 68 200 grainers i'm looking for trouble.....my Les Baer just is not reliable with the first few rounds....i swore after the last bowling pin match that i'd never put anything but round nose in them again.....D I C K

DT (warning! thread drift!) :o

I too shoot Laser-Cast 200 LSWC’s and 1.250 COL, does 4.7grs Titegroup make major in your 5” Wilson? I use clays and like it but I was looking for something that I could use in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP and Titegroup seems like it would fill the bill.

Thanks,

Ed

Yeah Benny they do look great… but… my God are they expensive!! :o I can buy 3 CMC’s, tinker with them for 10 minutes so they’ll run 100 percent, and STILL be money ahead of just ONE of Virgil’s.

I don’t see how Tripp’s can be anything but good but the price has GOT TO be more competitive! <_<

Ed

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Maybe I should try 1 mag each from the different manufactures and see what works, but that seems like a huge hassle and expense, but it does makes the most sense.

I could just down-load my Grams tuned hi-caps to 10 and shoot my wide body .40 STI and not worry about it.

I guess I like the romantic thingy about shooting L10 with a single stack .45, you know a Mans gun....LOL.

The purist in me and all that...

If the Tripp mags are truly the cats meow then I will spend the scratch to avoid the match/mags not working blues...

dave cutts, as a L10 shooting god, what do you use?

bird

If you saw me shoot in Ridgecrest this week end you wouldn't be saying that. 4 mikes and a no shoot on ONE f'ing stage,it was a disaster, of ten I had 3 stages I felt good about, and 2 that were okay.

I use wilson, struggled with CMC, and gave up. I got 1/2 of mine from Brian.

how's the knee?

Hi Dave

You are still an awesome shooter.

Quite sandbagging dude and just accept the fact that you are a master class shooter,don't fight it....

I have seen your single stack and you are a perfect example of "it is the shooter and not the gun", don't get me wrong here as I am not knocking your blaster, but what did you pay for your 1911, a buck two fifty?...hehe

That thing looks as crude as John Brownings original proto-types...LOL

(no flames intended really, love 'ya man)...

Wilson 10 rounders is what I will go with then, and I will buy them from Brian, our wunderbar host.

The knee is swollen,painful & I can barely walk.

But I will be back...LOL

I have both Wilson and McCormick magazines. The customer service of both organizations is superior. Both companies replaced mags that had problems.

I have a King magazine that I rarely use. It is not worth the effort needed to clean it. Wilson and CMC are a breeze to clean, the CMC being much easier during a match.

Sometime the base pad on the CMC may cause some problems with some narrow mag wells. Either trim the pad or expand the mag well.

All in all, I will buy Wilson or CMC mags when the price is right, wether I need it or not. I am of the the mind that too many mags are not enough.

i've shot both cmc and wilson's with no complaints from either. both are very, very reliable. i've until just recently tried a ed brown mag that had a extended over stuff foot that went down to the metal floor plate/base pad. in my shooting circle they were thought to be the toughest, but they have been broken off by shooters, just like the wilson's by some over zealous shooters in the past. yet others have had reliability problems with the cmc's. personally i never had any problems with all three. i guess i live a charmed life. :lol:

Guys, I understand what you are saying about the Tripp mags being expensive, BUT, for some who travel/attend major matches, this is a minor expense to have the BEST and get as close to 100% reliability as you can. Virgil makes great stuff (hard chromed all my guns and they look awesome, plus 7 days, door to door). When you are $400-$1500 in expenses for a match, that little bit extra to have the best is nothing. Just my opinion.

Kevin