Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTE in my G35

prreed10

I am having trouble with my G35. I am having a FTE about 1-2 times every 100 rounds. The empty is hanging up just about halfway out the chamber. Most clear easily, but I had one get stuck this past weekend and it took me several attempts to eject. I am shooting a pretty stock G35, all Glock internals and a Lone Wolf barrel in 40 S&W. Ammo is reloads - Montana Gold 155gr behind 4.2 TG and CCI primers. I have tried an extractor test and it holds a round in place, but it is looser than the one on my G27. The extractor is the newer LCI one. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello: Could it be the Glock bulge on the brass? Try your original barrel and see if the problem goes away. Let us know what you find. Thanks, Eric

+1

I never had these issues with my G35 until I switched to an LWD barrel. These barrels have very tight tolerances and they don't like bulged brass. My suggestion is for you to change the decapping die in your first station to a EGW "U" die and/or your crimping station to a Lee Factory Crimp Die. This will resize the brass more evenly and all the way down to the rim and the problem will dissapear. ( :fingerscrossed: ) Or just do what I did and go back to your Glock OEM barrel! :)

How far is your brass being ejected (when it does)?. If the cases are "just" barely coming out the port, you are either overspung or the load is a bit light. The 34's and 35's are oversprung with the factory 17 lb recoil spring. If you like your load the way it is, try swapping out the factory spring with a lighter one. I use a ISMI 13 lb spring. My major load is actually a little heavier - 4.4 grn Titegroup behind a Precision 185 grn. Makes 910 fps for 168 pf.

Thanks for all the responses. I would have to look at my load data to get the numbers, but the velocity was about 25fps above PF for SSP in IDPA. When I shoot it, I have a nice little pile of brass about 3 feet from where I am shooting. I thought about changing the guide rod, but I have to check with the IDPA rules for SSP beforehand.

I have been using a Lee undersizing die in my 550B since I got the LW barrel and I have noticed the difference - about 1 in 100 don't pass the case gage compared to 10+ per 100 before. I usually keep everything I can fit into the case gage, even the ones that I have to "push" the last little bit in. If I decide to keep with the LW barrel, I will start throwing those out as well.

I tried the factory barrel yesterday - 135 rounds without a FTE. I had a feeling it was the barrel. Thanks guys!

At 125 PF you're dramatically under-powered. Jack it up a hair and you should see the cases come all the way out.

After playing around with bunny fart loads I eventually went back to full tilt .40 loads. I'm doing this for gun handling skills, not on the misconception that I'm ever going to win the Nationals...<g>

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I used the G35 in a match today - 175 rounds fired with the factory barrel and no problems. It just shoots a little lower that the LWD barrel and I need to adjust. Is there anything that could be done to the LWD barrel to make it more reliable, but still safe? I have read here where some guys are sending them back to LWD. I hate to just put it in the parts box.

ARe you new to reloading? Is you sizing die kissing the shell plate?

I have been loading for 3 years now. When I installed the Lee US die, I took it all the way down until it touched, and then backed off a very small ammount.

The previous poster nailed it--you're dramatically under-powered. Jack that up to an upper-mid-range load and it will work fine. IDPA doesn't like the bunny fart loads anyway! If they found out about it, they might FTDR ya.

Dan

underpowered and probably a little too much strength in your recoil spring. Secondly, the LWD barrel is tigher in tolerances. The tighter tolerances is requiring more energy from the round to cycle reliably (thus why the OEM barrel works). Up your powder charge .1 or .2 grains and you will probably see this issue go away. You can always take the OEM spring off the OEM guiderod and put an ISMI 15lb spring on it and get better cycling too. Either should work if it's just one or two rounds out of a 100.

The previous poster nailed it--you're dramatically under-powered. Jack that up to an upper-mid-range load and it will work fine. IDPA doesn't like the bunny fart loads anyway! If they found out about it, they might FTDR ya.

Dan

Thats funny, this exact load passed the chrono at the 2006 IDPA National's. IIRC, its 830 or so FPS, but I will run it through the chrono again today when I am at the range.

I have gone back to the OEM Barrel for now, but I ordered a ISMI 15 lb spring and I will se if that helps with the LWD barrel.

I have gone back to the OEM Barrel for now, but I ordered a ISMI 15 lb spring and I will se if that helps with the LWD barrel.

You can also cut a few coils of the factory spring.

Hello: Could it be the Glock bulge on the brass? Try your original barrel and see if the problem goes away. Let us know what you find. Thanks, Eric

Ditto. I have the same problem in a different caliber: all the "9mm conversion" barrels in my guns would choke on reload 9mm because of the "bulge" problem. Same symptom as above: brass hangs in the throat and the extrator slips the rim.

I had to ream the front end of the chamber to get them to cycle the cheap ammo. With the skyrocketing price of ammo, I figured the way to go was to buy cheap aftermarket barrels and ream the hell out of them until they would shoot the Miwall ammo.

Edited by bountyhunter

Dan

Thats funny, this exact load passed the chrono at the 2006 IDPA National's. IIRC, its 830 or so FPS, but I will run it through the chrono again today when I am at the range.

you are comparing apples and oranges. The load you are shooting probably IS the right pf, but it may not be enough energy to reliably cycle the weapon with the LWD barrel. The tighter fit is probably requiring more energy for reliable cycling. Try the recoil spring first, and if there are still problems try a little bump up in powder.

Chrono'ed the load today - avg of 831 fps. I cut 2 coils off the factory spring and I will see what happens when the ISMI spring gets here and make adjustments from there. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
try 3.6 of tg and a 180 fmj at 1.135"

It is minor and cycles guns with stock recoil spring.

Harmon

+1

The above load is a pussycat. I've used it to compete at the top of the sport.

I've never shot with 155's. But, it does sound like you load is weak for the gun. Having to go with weaker and weaker recoils springs isn't the way I'd want to go.

I think I am down to less than 1000 loaded and 500 loose of my 155's. They ran great in my G22 and well in my G35 until I got the LW barrel. I think I will burn the rest up over the summer using the factory barrel and go with 180's or maybe even 200's after that.

Dan

I chrono'd some loads last weekend out of my G35, loaded with TiteGroup.

4.2 - 874.5fps - pf 162

4.3 - 970.5fps - pf 174.7

4.5 - 971fps - pf 174.8

4.7 - 1011fps - pf 182

Also, did 5.4gr/Unique - 1023.7fps - pf 184

Winchester WB 180gr FMJ - 994.9fps - pf 170, but out of my STI Trojan it chrono'd at 1032.9fps - pf 185.9

Edited by RePete

Hello: Try a 13 pound ISMI recoil spring with your Lone Wolf barrel. I would also check the chamber depth with one of your reloads to make sure it is deep enough. I like the 185 Precision bullets in my G35 shooting minor loads. It is lighter than a 22 rimfire. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric