Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique my reload

Aristotle

I set up a tri pod and video camera at the end of practice to look at what my live fire reload with the Single stack is looking like. There are a couple of things I saw from the video that I didn't realize I did and am working on now. But I'd like the opinion of the board to identify area's I can improve. Thanks all in advance.

Edited by Aristotle

Hi. I'm not the one to critique your reloads as I have never tried to reload a single stack fast. I'm sure the other guys will give you some tips. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your video and thanks for sharing it.

DonT

Looks pretty good.

If there's an area to focus on, I would get the button push / mag drop out of the way and get the gun frozen, back in place in front of your face, ready to accept the new mag.

I flip the gun across like you do to hit the button, but I try to get it done early and get the gun in closer, quicker. Otherwise you are hitting a moving target.

good work, keep it up...

Hi. I'm not the one to critique your reloads as I have never tried to reload a single stack fast. I'm sure the other guys will give you some tips. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your video and thanks for sharing it.

DonT

:cheers:

Hey, I appreciate the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

That looked pretty good, not much to add to the above except it looks like you are shooting with a LOT of tension at the buzzer in your shoulders and arms.

Relax! It'll make you go faster, really.

Couple things I noticed.

The first is that your weak hand isn't snapping to the fresh mag. Ideally when videoed I shouldn't be able to clearly see your arm moving. That is gonna be the first limited factor in the speed of your reload. Try to imagine that your weak hand and arm are a wet towel that is snapping down to the next mag.

The second thing is that you hold the gun awfully far away from your body...almost in the same position as when you are shooting. The reason I don't like this is that it is harder to accurately manipulate objects the further away they get from you. I personally like to bring the gun back about halfway when I load because A ) I can get the gun into the exact position I want much easier, and B ) I am much more accurate and quicker driving the mag into the gun.

The third thing is that you gun is not in the same position during dry fire and live fire. Everything needs to be consistent.

The fourth thing is that when you first charge your gun it is not in the same position as when you reload it...which is another issue with consistency. However I should add that where you charge the gun is just about the ideal place to have the gun during the load (albeit a little higher). Notice also how much more fluid it is.

FWIW, I also hold quite a lot of tension in my shoulders and arms, but that works better for me.

Keep at it. You have the foundation for a great load....it's just time to start honing the edge.

Yea...what Matt said. :)

:lol:

It's not everyday you can get 3 GM's in a row giving you a nice detailed critique of your skillz!

and one lowly B- since 2006 LOL

...and the "C" could only enjoy the video :lol:

I'm just a measly A shooter. I'm interested what the discussion about the muzzle was about. Is there a differen restriction at the range you are at? I watched the vid a couple of times, and you were not near the 180 on any of the loads. It appeared the more this was discussed, the less you brought the gun back and the more straight down range you kept it.

As far as I'm concerned there is no "muzzle is too high" (unless you break the vertical 180 of course).

Another thing I wanted to mention...when reloading Production guns or skinny guns, I like to keep my weak side elbow tucked into my side when doing the load...it seems to give me a good point of reference for a little more accuracy. That might be something to try.

As far as I'm concerned there is no "muzzle is too high" (unless you break the vertical 180 of course).

Another thing I wanted to mention...when reloading Production guns or skinny guns, I like to keep my weak side elbow tucked into my side when doing the load...it seems to give me a good point of reference for a little more accuracy. That might be something to try.

If I understand this correctly, after you grab the mag your elbow is coming in towards your body as the mag is moving up towards magwell?

I'm curious what Jake means by "when you first charge the gun", What is charging the gun? Am I brainfarting here? Is he talking about jacking a round in the chamber? I'm going from the video to the thread trying to see and absorb all the info. Any help appreciated.

Correct. At the insertion point, my elbow is touching my side.

But I only use this technique with skinny guns or guns w/o a magwell.

Yes, charging the gun is what you do at LAMR.

Ok thanks, does that give us a central point for all gun manipulations, ie..reloads, clearing jams, charging gun....hence the consistency?

Your "central point" isn't necessarily where you charge the gun. Where it should be (IMO) is halfway back towards your body (from firing position) and in front of your face.

You are also correct in that the gun should return to that position whenever you are doing something other than shooting for consistency reasons.

Yea...what Matt said. :)

:lol:

It's not everyday you can get 3 GM's in a row giving you a nice detailed critique of your skillz!

That's 4 GM's

dirtypool40 ain't chopped liver. His reloads are, if not the fastest, some of the smoothest I've ever seen. I've seen Travis and Jake reload and Eric is right there with them.

Anyway, as Eric stated, get your thumb on the mag release with a purpose. You want the released mag out and clear while still getting the reload hand on the fresh mag with as little happening in between as possible. I notice that you 'swing' your left hand to the mag in an arc. Try bending the elbow more and get the hand to the mag in more of a straight line. Think about the speed difference between a roundhouse punch and a jab.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

Your "central point" isn't necessarily where you charge the gun. Where it should be (IMO) is halfway back towards your body (from firing position) and in front of your face.

You are also correct in that the gun should return to that position whenever you are doing something other than shooting for consistency reasons.

Thanks Jake, I appreciate your time, and answer. I've been a lowly C (high 50's) too long, and now after several years I'm dry firing and practicing. I just want to do it correctly. Thanks for your time.