Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Clylinder Chamfering

chuck perry

Greetings all,

Brand new here, came across the site while googling for info on 625's. I've just picked up a 5" -8. So far I am having a blast with it. I was thrilled with the moon clips, that is until I loaded up a bunch of 200g SWC's. They sure don't drop in as easy as plated RN's do! So now I am thinking about having the charge holes chamfered. Will this make a big difference in loading the SWC's, or is it just money down the drain? Should I just switch to RN profile bullets and be done with it? Thanks!

Welcome :cheers:

Aren't the -8's already chamfered? If not, YES, it makes a huge difference.

When reloading a 625 you don't push the clips in, you let gravity do it's job. It helps tremendously to chamfer the chargeholes.

Edited by spook

But the impact of chamfering when using SWC bullets is not that huge. SWC and moonclips is not the best combination for fast reloads . Nothing beats FMJ RN in that respect.

Tight fitting moonclips and FMJ RN is IMO more important than a big chamfer. All three is the ultimate combo.

Chuck, you definitely will want to have those chamber mouths chamfered. It really makes a difference.

And I agree that round-nose bullets are the only way to fly. It doesn't matter if they're jacketed, plated, or hard-cast lead--but they should be round-nose bullets, with plenty of crimp.

I took a new box stock 625-4 to a match today and was surprised at how my 230 gr. LRN hung up compared to my lightly chamfered older 625. I never thought chamfering was terribly important but now I'd have to agree that yes, it is very important, as long as it is not overdone. If possible I'd like to do it myself but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Dave Sinko

I took a new box stock 625-4 to a match today and was surprised at how my 230 gr. LRN hung up compared to my lightly chamfered older 625. I never thought chamfering was terribly important but now I'd have to agree that yes, it is very important, as long as it is not overdone. If possible I'd like to do it myself but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Dave Sinko

Pay a gunsmith the $18 bucks and be done with it. It's not even worth the time to explain it. Just get it done and done right the first time. All he will need is your cylinder. If you were familiar with the process and had the tools it might be different however this isn't a part you want to mess up on.

I seem to remember Randy Lee posted here pictures of a chamfered cylinder. A search would probably turn something up :)

I had him do mine and it made a huge difference. Several have posted their DIY jobs as well. Good luck.

Chamfering the cylinders is a good idea even if you shoot SWC's. Won't make them drop in like round noses but it helps. On the 625-8's I've seen, they all needed the chambers reamed also. They're undersize and out of round. Enough so that the pilot on my chamfer tool won't enter the chamber far enough. Makes it a good plug gauge though. Funny thing, the Ti cylinders have correctly sized chambers. They need badly to be polished, but they are the right size. Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my gun to Mike Carmoney and it is the most beautiful piece of work I have ever seen. I only need to get a moon close to the cylinder and it falls right in. A chamfer & hone job made a 100 % improvement.

I have written in my range journal that I am a B class and that it is my goal to get USPSA to acknowledge it.

• 2 weeks later...

How much chamfering is too much?

I'm having a 610 done but I did not specify just how much chamfer.

I told the gunsmith I'm using it for IDPA but should I tell him to do an extreme chamfer?

Or would that be too much of a good thing?

I did not tell him to hone the cylinders... should I?

Thanks.