Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun... Who's Best To Build?

jgobbels

Another off the wall idea might be to have SV build the gun for you!

They build beautiful guns that are accurate and work. If you check out their website you will see that they offer just about any combination of cosmetic touches and hardware options that you might want and the guns are built exactly how you order them. These are tight gunsmith quality guns not "production" quality guns.

Leo

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm tossing the idea of SV doing the gun or Dawson doing the "Competitor" with some other options.

One thing I see is that STI's site states that these guns "Competitor" (.38 Super) will only work with Major Power Factor Ammunition and that factory ammo will not function the gun.

I plan on getting back into reloading, but I'm a bit wary of having to load major power factor rounds. I've done .40 & .45 but have not reloaded .38 super.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

John~

In a way, loading .38 Super to Major is safer. With a slow powder there's no chance of a double charge like there is with .45.

Factory .38 Super is made to be safe in early 20th century Colts with unsupported chambers and doesn't generate enough gas pressure to reliably cycle the slide on a modern, fully supported, compensated Open gun.

If you want an SV, probably one of the best is Don Golembieski - Kodiak Precision. He is building one for me, I should receive it in a week or two. If you are still in the market, let me know, I will send you some pix and give you a range report.

I have shot custom gunsmithed STIs in Limited for 2 seasons and I own an SV open gun (sometimes it runs).

Say what you want about S_I open guns, but I think the facts speak for themselves. Fact: There are literally dozens of custom builders puting together S_I open guns (e.g. EGW, Benny Hill, Dawson, Brazos, etc, etc, etc.). Fact: Most of these custom open guns do not cost any less and often cost much more than a stock S_I open gun.

Logically, why on Earth would anyone in their right mind pay the same or more $$$ from a custom builder for a S_I gun instead of buying it right from the factory? Are these NOT the facts? If so, what do you think the facts are? You are free to reach your own conclusion about this sad state of affairs. Maybe open 9 will make other platforms viable and lead us out of a situation where everyone asks: who built your S_I?? (hint: the answer to this question is rarely "S_I did"). Funny, no one ever asks who built my Glock. Feel free to move this to the Friday flame war if its too much for the readers here to take.

Minor/Factory loads-- Most of my open blasters have no problems with factory or minor loads, even in IPSC-major trim. The other one I have to put a light spring in. It does take a bit more tuning and fiddling sometimes though.

Why go to a custom builder? 'Cause you get a custom gun. An off-the-rack S_I is nice, but a fully custom one is a sight to behold, and it's done exactly how you want it done.

My two cents.... if you are looking, you would make a mistake not to look at having Johnny Lim build it. Remember, there is only ONE person who shoots EVERY gun at the Nationals, and the last time I asked him...... the Limcat was his pick.

Of course things change, and I do not want to put words in anyones mouth, so no names mentioned. Also, I will say that I own a Limcat Limited and Open gun. Both are FAR beyond my meager capabilites, and Johnny has taken care any issues....

Carlos,

They cost the same or more BUT you get a gun built by one guy not a factory. You can pick any parts you want not just STI or SV. The factory triggers are ok but custom you pick the weight. I've seen plenty of the factory guns that have problems, if my gun has a problem I know who built it and one phone call and it is taken care of. Sometimes smaller is better, no middle man fielding calls.

STI and SV have evolved their business to serve two different segments of the premium gun market. STI has taken the "McDonalds" method of selecting a few popular package guns (Edge, Extreme, Competitor, Grandmaster, etc...) and producing them it moderately large quantities. In that way you can get a semi-custom pistol immediately or fairly quickly at a fair price. SV has migrated toward building mostly "to order" guns based on a very large menu of options ala "Burger King/Wendys". They have so many barrel, comp, frame, slide, scope mount and cosmetic options (serrations and slide contours) that you are as close to a full custom gun as you can get. The price is good and delivery time is pretty quick for a custom ordered gun too.

There are some great gunsmiths in this country and a bunch on them have been mentioned here on this thread. If you happen to have one nearby it might be the best choice for you, once you consider the cost and service factors. But if you do not have a local gunsmith that is known for great work, you might as well have SV/STI build your gun as you will be putting the gun in the mail anyway if something serious should happen. I personally hate few things more than putting my gun in the mail and feel that you should have a local gunsmith that is, at least, capable of taking care of the small stuff like extractor replacement or trigger tuning etc... as that kind of stuff can be needed occasionally on even a great gun.

Leo

I appreciate all the responses. It has given me much to ponder..

I do have a local guy "Al @ Al's Custom" who could service a Factory gun and make small adjustments if needed but I'm not sure if I want to purchase the parts and have him put it together.

EGW is in PA, but at the other end of the state (a 5 hour drive for me each way), but I do like the looks of their guns.

I'm going to call SVI and look into some options as the "Gun Builder" is giving me a headache at this point:)

Again I thank you all for your comments. It is appreciated~

Best regards,

John~

Chris - I agree to a degree but as L9x25 pointed out, SV is supposed to be "building mostly "to order" guns based on a very large menu of options ala "Burger King/Wendys". They have so many barrel, comp, frame, slide, scope mount and cosmetic options (serrations and slide contours) that you are as close to a full custom gun as you can get."

There have been plenty of rants here about customer service and lets just say that S_I does not seem to follow the "Dillon Reloading" school of customer service. I have called them on 2 occasions for parts I needed: a replacement tube and a longer trigger insert (my gun came w/ the ultra short and I have huge hands). The response was essentiall "go order it out of Brownells - we make the stuff, you don't expect us to sell it to you too, do you??" As for the SV tubes, they were just not out there for a while - from any of the sources. 2 calls were enough for me; I won't bother calling a third time. S_I products are nice - if you can manage to convince somebody to sell them to you. Anyway, rant mode off; lets get back to jgobbels question:

Local friends and I have had great service from EGW in P.A. These guys are patient w/ shooters who call them - even those who are not GMs - and they stand behind what they sell (fair prices and good delivery time too). Never had any problem w/ EGW.

Limcat: I currently use a Limcat holster and it is well made if a bit pricey. Two close friends in the area (Two in B and one in M class) bought Limcat guns including an open guns and they seem satisfied w/ Limcat's "off the shelf" guns.

What you might want to consider in choosing a custom gunsmith is how do their guns perform in the hands of local shooters like you? Glossy magazine ads are great and all, but ask yourself this question: has the company you are considering buyin from built a solid reputation for customer service and reliability in your area w/ AVERAGE shooters like us - not just those who are winning every match? Regards,

D C Johnson

Carlos,

Yep the biggest concern is if something does break after you buy the gun. I can attest to EGW being first class. I had the bottom barrel lug break. I called George on Monday night he said bring it down. I took it down Tues. He had a barrel overnighted installed test fired and ready to go by Fri. I didn't miss a match. That is service. George is the man.

I agree with Chris, someone local is a huge advantage. If it is George at EGW that is great. Limcat, Dawson, Brazos, insert your larger name smith here are wonderful at there craft. If you don't live nearby their respective shops you are at a disadvantage. I have never used an STI or SV 'factory gun' but know more than a few shooters that have. That IMM looks great on paper but I certainly wouldn't mount a Serendipity on it...I just watched their carbon fiber mount's blast shield get blown off.. Anyway I think if you find someone that knows what they are doing and they are within driving distance, you need to establish a rapport. In GA look to J.L. Hardy and Rusty Kidd.