Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Buckeye Blast - 2004

Not sure it's my place to start this topic, but..... for the Buckeye Blast 2004, what suggestions would you have for us? I'll start with a couple of things I heard/saw.....

• 1) firm time for the shooter's meeting
  • 2) firm time to start shooting
  • 3) carbon copy score sheets
  • 4) more mud

From my conversation with Tom Rayner today, it appears we will start planning the Blast 2004 soon after the 2003 FGN. That means we should have a lot more time to get ready. Any suggestions you have regarding stage design, number of stages, entry fee, range in general, food, etc., would be appreciated (in other words, there seemed to be so few complaints, that it is difficult to find obvious areas to improve).

Us Buckeyes aim to please! Let us know....

In spite of Saturday's weather, when I was done I still wanted to shoot. Heck, no problem with 12 stages!! Chrono was well-done and set up nicely...good location.

Hmm, good mix of long and short courses...would like to see some strong hand and weak hand stages.

Greater food selection for lunch.

Covered area for changing clothes...using a muddy porta-potty, no matter how big is not fun (which is why I changed in the car).

Squad pictures...would be nice to have...brought my camera but never used it.

Start time...factor in people getting there late thru no fault of their own. Directions I had were a touch vague and now that I am familiar with it, can find it again easily. noticed some other folks we shoot with from this area also got turned around and were late.

More signage further out from the range...lot's of side roads that can be taken inadvertently.

Ditto on the carbon score sheets.

A summary of the COF...points, rounds, brief stage descriptions...maybe a little booklet/sheets of paper stapled together.

No rain or mud unless it is a part of the stage!

You know, this has grown well the last two years and expectations will be high!!

MORE Stages?? You guys (gals) want twelve stages... (Flex, that was TWELVE stages??) are you sure about that?

Agreed on the range signage coming in, but like many ranges, it's tough until you find them once.

Locker room for changing clothes. Well, the weather definately caused problems but we might be able to do something here (do you mind changing in the horse barn?) :D Also, we did have a 'Locker Room' stage, why didn't you change in the middle of that?

As far as carbon score sheets, name tags, match book etc. remember this stuff comes out of the overall match budget. Those of you that shot this match, did you feel it was a good value? If Rayner's raised the match fee to cover some of this, would you come back? Not trying to 'stick' anyone, but someone has to pay for this stuff.....

I am all for the big field course through the woods (after I saw the EG World Shoot video), but we will have to get Kyle or SA to run you.... :D

I paid $35 for the match (junior fee). A few extra bucks for a new and improved match is fine by me. :P  :P  :P

We are going to make you turn your hat around and charge full price! :P

For 12 stages, no mud and rain, i'd pony up a bit more. But as this has grown and is a major topic on the board, i'd wager we can get some folks to sponsor those items for the match. Those are incidentals, costing little over the long run.

164 shooters is not chicken feed...use this board, the posts on this and the like to take to sponsors to get some help.

For instance, get an e-mail poll of the shooters...who reloads. What powder/bullets/primers etc. do you use...what press, who built your gun, mags, etc., eyes and ears you use...

Somebody will jump on board, and by starting early to plan....

And juniors that shoot like TIS should pay full price.... :lol:

I'll put in a vote for more stages, and for a huge field course. My question is, why stop at 40 rounds?????? B)

I would suggest carbon copy scoresheets. I saw a shooter in the Zanesville Red Roof Inn copying scoresheets with the lobby copy machine Saturday evening so he could keep track.

Maybe some breaks fit into the day somewhere, at least a lunch break.

I'd love to shoot more stages too.

However... :(

I don't know if we can fit them into a one-day format.

Especially if we get weather like we had on Saturday.

We'd need extra staff help...for sure. (we were stretched pretty tight this year as it was)

Each extra stage adds about an hour to the day. (for the staff too...and the pay isn't great)

(not against it...just don't know that we can pull it off with the number of shooters we will get) IDEAS?

I hope i didn't come off as being negative to the suggestion for more stages. If there is a way...I am all for it.

On the 40+ round COF idea...

I am sure the Open shooters are fine with it...Limited too. How about the other divisions? Keep in mind, not everybody shoots clean. Too many mags/speedloaders needed? Not a problem?

I hope i didn't come off as being negative to the suggestion for more stages.  If there is a way...I am all for it.

On the 40+ round COF idea...

I think everyone understands the issue of more stages in one day, and knows you well enough to know that you would certainly vote for MORE stages if possible. Also, I do share your concerns, especially if we have bad weather (of course, it rained two years in a row, so I'm certain that next year will be sunny and 75 F) :D

As for 40 rds....... personally, I'd kind of like to stick to the rules, 32 round maximum.......

I'll tell you one thing we may have to consider next year, is putting a maximum on the number of competitors..... otherwise, we could get forced out of a one day format..... :(

• 3 weeks later...
We'd need extra staff help...for sure. (we were stretched pretty tight this year as it was)

You should create an "Adopt an out-of-state RO" program. A host family will take in an RO for the weekend of the match. People might be more willing to volunteer if they don't have to pay for 3 days of a motel.

Oh yeah, my recommendation for the match next year is to remove children from the shoot-off. I don't have a real good rational justification for why this should be done but I think that I can speak for those of us who were eliminated by children by saying that it would be more fun without them. :P

You should create an "Adopt an out-of-state RO" program. A host family will take in an RO for the weekend of the match. People might be more willing to volunteer if they don't have to pay for 3 days of a motel.

Good point, Dowter. Looking at those of us from this area that went..you, the rest of the EH crowd, myself...all are RO's. handgunner has RO'd at several Nationals in the past, so with that crowd alone...a good 5-6 RO's.

Not that everybody can get the full weekend off to do that, but it is an excellent suggestion...even if for a half day to spell someone else.

[You should create an "Adopt an out-of-state RO" program.  A host family will take in an RO for the weekend of the match.  People might be more willing to volunteer if they don't have to pay for 3 days of a motel.

I volunteer my place and only ask the RO to do a few chores such as mowing the lawn, painting and cleaning my guns, etc. :lol::lol::blink:

You should create an "Adopt an out-of-state RO" program.  A host family will take in an RO for the weekend of the match.  People might be more willing to volunteer if they don't have to pay for 3 days of a motel.

I think this is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, volunteering my place doesn't really work (since I am at a hotel in Zanesville during the match).

OTOH, while none of the SW Ohio clubs have hosted a major match in the last few years, if anyone is ever looking for a place to hang their hat for a match..... I've got the room. And if you are looking for other entertainment..... five minutes from King's Island...... watch the KI nightly fireworks from the deck.... enjoy the 'National Champions Buckeye Billiard Parlor'..... or feel free to watch 'Grandmattster' videos on the big screen (no comments Uncle Bill). :lol:

Seriously, I'd be happy to host known BE'rs on their way to and from matches, etc. Instead of a 'Youth Hostel'.... kind of a 'Shooters Hostel'..... :D

what ever that stuff they called chicken was, fix some real food! i KNOW ms. rayner is a better cook than that.

LUNCH BREAK!

LESS MUD! i'm sorry, but that is just rediculous, no easy solutions though. atleast not cost feasible. maybe tom could get some creek gravel put on the range he has the equipment i'm sure.

get sponsors and have a prize table, either like the normal uspsa ones, or a drawing. just ask, a lot of companies are very willing....

GET A SPONSOR form, i asked twice, have different levels of sponsors, and how much you charge them our companies can't sponsor things when we don't know what is required or expected.

just some suggestions :-)

Plaques, trophies, something to recognize the winners in Division, Class and Category if there are enough shooters in each.

They have them...they will be shipped out when the trophy shop is finished with them.

They went with an "after the match...get the trophies made" format this year. That has worked well for other matches, so it was adopted. Last year Rayner's hosted the State/Section match, there were problems with getting the plaques made ahead of time.

Lets see, how to put this......Gravel, gravel, gravel, gravel, and when you get all that in...get some more gravel! hehe

I know where I'm staying next year! :)

BDH, I like that offer!! I guess we'll have to get a match out there so we can party...errrr...crash at your place! :)

BDH, I like that offer!!  I guess we'll have to get a match out there so we can party...errrr...crash at your place! :)

Well, you're on!! I had a little mid-Winter IPSC get together last year that seemed to work out okay and am thinking about doing a mid-Summer one too. Now that A5 is out of the way, I just have to survive the 3-Gun/FGN, and then A3 :wacko::blink::wacko: . Once I do that, I'll be ready to party.... errr, ahhhh, I mean 'get together'.... :D )

I'm serious though, if someone was coming through on the way to a match (or not), I would be happy to host them.....

• 3 months later...