Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Milling Material

DrawandDuck

It's been a long time since I played around with a mill, but when I learned it was on mostly aluminum. It's quite forgiving, doesn't overheat quickly, doesn't work-harden, etc. Brass is also a nice soft learning material if you have a source of scrap pieces, though it's too expensive to go out and buy just to practice on.

Personally I'd stick to aluminum until you know your way around the knobs and switches. Once you're comfortable with the workings of the actual machine, then move on to mild steel which adds the trickiness of worrying about materials and speed to the mix.

Ok, got the mill, bits, clamps/vices & related tools......What did everyone use to practice their milling skills before jumping into slides/frames?

Thanks

Randal

Do you mind me asking Sir. What kind of machine do you got there?

Make SURE the aluminum is a 60 or 70 series with a T6 heat treat, if it isn't you can run into some REALLY sticky material that thrives on a diet of carbide.....

Stay away from 300 series, 15 and 17 series stainless steels like they will give you cooties, harder than woodpecker lips and tough to cut.

1018 steel is relatively cheap, cuts decently and should be easy to find.

Make SURE the aluminum is a 60 or 70 series with a T6 heat treat, if it isn't you can run into some REALLY sticky material that thrives on a diet of carbide.....

Stay away from 300 series, 15 and 17 series stainless steels like they will give you cooties, harder than woodpecker lips and tough to cut.

1018 steel is relatively cheap, cuts decently and should be easy to find.

I worked at a place that machined aluminum gas meter bodies.

Thier cast aluminum was hell on any type tooling.

FM

Probably a 300 series die cast, high silica content and slightly sticky......

Ren Board or 'red board' is a low cost practice material. It is almost wood, almost plastic, machines very easily and is very true in dimension when machined. It is also stable. Bad part is it makes a mess, a dust collector (shop vac zip tied to the head) helps a lot.

Scrap is a few $ a lb for anything from steel to aluminum and back. Pop by the local scrapyard (now called "metal recycling center") and see what they have chunks of big enough to cut on. What kind of machine do you have? 12L14 steel is great stuff, but they don't make many slides or frames from it..

If you want to practice on actual slides, Sarco had some factory rejects that were partially finished. Should be just the thing for practicing lightening cuts, flat-topping the slide, cocking serations, dovetail sight cuts, etc.

Thanks John, they still have 90% 1911 frames for $29.95!! I am going to order a couple as they will exactly serve my purpose. As for the type of mill, it is a central machinery X2. Not a bridgeport but then again I do not have the room and this table top mill will serve my purpose just fine. I have changed out the chuck to collet holder and added a quality milling vice. For some odd reason I have taken on the task of building my own open gun with the parts I have accumulated over the last 2 years. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Randal