Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Question

rtr

It is my understanding that all guns regardless of caliber and the power factor of their ammo are classed as minor if they are shot in production, can anyone explain to me why this is true? Or tell me if I'm mistaken.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree w/ John. Look at the classes where you have a choice of shooting minor or major; few people choose to shoot minor (although there are a few, of course). If you allowed Major in Production, I cannot imagine that Production would be any different than the other classes and most shooters would choose to shoot major. Good job, USPSA, for keeping production Minor only.

USPSA leadership realized the 9mm Parabellum is a very popular defensive caliber. They wanted their Production division 9mm friendly. If they'd stuck to the standard Major/Minor system of scoring, that wouldn't have been the case and all the guys toting Glock 19s, SIG P228s, HK USP 9mm Compacts, etc. wouldn't have come out to play.

Whoa there, pilgrims. Credit where credit is due.

Production Division, with the "Minor only" requirement, was introduced by IPSC in November 1999. It wasn't adopted by USPSA until March 2000, with numerous changes.

• 3 weeks later...

In Major/Minor scoring the playing field is already level. 9mm is easier and faster to shoot so it naturally scores less on C anfd D hits. Center hits are the same. Major requires longer to get back on target, so it scores more than Minor. Who needs this "Minor scoring only" rule in Production Division? I think that it just hampers the Division and is one of USPSA's dumbest rules. If Production could score Major then we could get rid of Limted 10 Division which would then be a duplication of Production and be redundant. We could also get rid of the IDPA equipment rules for Production.

Bangobart, If we did that then we could drop production and L10 and call it Limited and be right back where we were. I don't shoot either but I do notice the numbers of IDPA guys and LE officers who are showing up because they no longer have to compete with my 20 rd major .40. Every shooter gained is a shooter we needed. I think these two divisions were a good move. More work for the stats guy but worth every bit of it. Larry

Addition to my last post, several years ago (8 or 9) I sold a really nice single stack 45 built by Nolin sr to get the money for a hi cap .40. I always wondered what happened to that pistol. At a match a couple of mts ago a young fella showed up shooting L10, it was fun to stand back and watch ol 669 punch those clean holes in cardboard just like it was meant to and has for 20+ years. Production and L10 have brought more than people. Larry

heeey..an opportunity for me to throw this in...  :D

I think Minor Bravo hit should be worth 4 points.

I agree...or make it an alpha....like IDPA.

:D

Making the Bravo an Alpha might be a stretch (and hard to convince others).

I worked up some hit factor data in the past that supported making a Minor Bravo hit worth four points. I don't think anyone wants to hear about it though...or put the thought into considering it. <_<

I worked up some hit factor data in the past that supported making a Minor Bravo hit worth four points. I don't think anyone wants to hear about it though...or put the thought into considering it. <_<

maybe our friend Darth might!!

You rang?

Hey, I have no objection to Minor Bravo being scored 4 points and I've always thought it made a lot of sense, however the Major/Minor scoring values are one of the few remaining Holy Grails of IPSC.

Here's the deal: somebody get a region to propose it at a General Assembly, and I'll get Hong Kong to vote in favour (except for Production Division, which I think should remain all Minor), but I can't initiate the proposal.

You see, I only have two cajones and I need both of them, 'coz I'd hate to sing soprano :ph34r:

You rang?

Hey, I have no objection to Minor Bravo being scored 4 points and I've always thought it made a lot of sense, however the Major/Minor scoring values are one of the few remaining Holy Grails of IPSC.

Here's the deal: somebody get a region to propose it at a General Assembly, and I'll get Hong Kong to vote in favour (except for Production Division, which I think should remain all Minor), but I can't initiate the proposal.

You see, I only have two cajones and I need both of them, 'coz I'd hate to sing soprano :ph34r:

Well, since SWMBO took both of mine and I don't need them :P , I'll hammer at the Area 8 folks and see what breaks. Flex, you want to try 5 since that is yours? Any other production shooters want to jump on board?

Worst they can do is tell me no...

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

Since this topic has been "bumped" back to life, allow me state without fear of contradiction, that changing IPSC Production Division to Major/Minor scoring is just never going to happen.

To do so now, 5 years down the line, would immediately cause all the 9mm guns currently in use to lose value, and we're simply not in the business of screwing competitors or the investments they make in equipment.

I bumped this back up since there was a new thread started on this subject that was closed...because we had been down that road.

Here is the thread to talk about it on.

Oh...I agree with Vince's statement:

"...and we're simply not in the business of screwing competitors or the investments they make in equipment. "

Potential production shooters might be more inclined to venture out and shoot along the S_I's and Para's with their DA pistols if they were given the same points for their hits.

Hmmm...we have 5 Divisions. Which should all be scored seperate...like 5 matches rolled into one. What does a Production shooter care what the shooters in the single-action divisions are doing? (And, what about those that choose to shoot Minor in Limitied/10?)

BTW...I think we have another thread devoted to this particular line of thought too. ;)