Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which mag holders for Production (and Glock)?

Cuz

Check here Cuz,

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...?products_id=33

It's four pouches in one unit that attaches with two clips.

Are those legal for Production Division? Seems like the outside holders would be too far from your body. I don't know if those would work for me, they look too close together. I'm going to keep my eyes out for someone using them at any of my matches so I can get a better look at them. They are interesting.

Thanks for the link.

-Cuz.

Cuz,

I'll check the measurement from the inside of the belt to the outer mags as it is described in the 08 rulebook. I believe that's how I've always measured the distance anyway, but it's been too long ago and I don't remember. I'll report back this weekend.

splashdown

Well, I just returned the Blade Tech Milenium pouches with the belt loops. They didn't work out like I had hoped. I was a little disappointed in the overall design. The belt loops are wider than the pouches so you can't place them close to one another without having a big gap. For now I put the Fobus pouches back on my belt and put the Blade-Tech with a Tek-Lock between them. That lets me put them close together and gives me one extra mag. I think I will probably use this until I can get to a couple of matches starting next month and inspect everyone else's gear.

-Cuz.

Sounds like you're nitpicking about equipment when you should be more concerned about how to use it. I like the Fobus double/paddle mag holders...cheap...easy to position where I want them. I cut them down about an inch w/my dremel tool and now just grab a mag instead of the plastic pouch. Pick something and get used to it...single...double...whatever...then forget about em and just shoot. Spending money on equipment that could be spent on reloading is a waste of resources. You've got enough anxiety to overcome when the buzzer goes off. Don't let the small stuff become big stuff...Two doubles is fine...A barney mag and the first fully loaded mag come outta my back pocket. That's 51 rounds and in Production it's usually enough.

Sounds like you're nitpicking about equipment when you should be more concerned about how to use it.

Yep, you got that right. That's what happens when I take the winter off from USPSA. Got nothing to do but fret about equipment...

-Cuz.

I use these from SKDTAC for production and IDPA. Work good for me. I would have gone with CompTac if I hadn't gotten these.

I can't agree enough with this recommendation. I tried the ready tacticals when I noticed that two different local production grand masters used them exclusively.

I had been using the comp-tacs and was very pleased with them except for one problem. They use a tensioning screw to adjust them for your mags and in doing so weren't all that good about variances in mag widths. Basically if I moved the mags to different pouches i woudl get different tensions for the draw. Plus there were times when the screws woudl adjust with use and I'd wind up with a mag that could either fall out or be so tight as to wedgie me on a reload. Good for a laugh but not the most fun I've had at a match.

So I bought 5 of them for use with my glock 34 and was instantly pleased with their construction and auto tensioning. The just use the tension of the thick kydex to hold the mag in place and work wonderfully. And then I figured out a nice added bonus. They glock mags work PERFECTLY for the M&P also so I didn't have to buy an extra set of pouches for my other pistol! Nice bonus. The design of the teady tacticals also eliminate the need for the extra hardware fro tensioning so the mag is less wide and it allows me to keep my mags closer to the front of my body than the comp-tacs did. It's a small thing but when you have 5 mags on your belt it winds up putting that last mag a full mag width closer to the front of your body. And how many times do I hear that eliminating extra movement is a key to speeding up your runs? =]

Since then I've sold all my comp-tac pouches and have replaced them with ready tacticals from SKDTac.com. Couldn't be happier.

Check here Cuz,

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...?products_id=33

It's four pouches in one unit that attaches with two clips.

Are those legal for Production Division? Seems like the outside holders would be too far from your body. I don't know if those would work for me, they look too close together. I'm going to keep my eyes out for someone using them at any of my matches so I can get a better look at them. They are interesting.

Thanks for the link.

-Cuz.

I have the Belt Feed for single stack mags and it's easily inside of the 2" rule. It will depend somewhat on the belt setup you have, but the mag that's farthest from my body (second one back) is less than 1.5" from the inside of the belt to the mag. Even a double stack mag shouldn't put you over 2" there.

The fact that they stagger the mags inside to outside as well as higher and lower makes it easy to just grab one mag each time as your hand goes back to get them. First reload your hand will hit the first mag without any interference from the second mag, and when you reload again you have a straight shot to the second mag...works like a champ. I've only shot a handful of matches with that setup, but I have dry fired a lot using it and I have yet to grab more than one mag or the wrong one, even under pressure. The probably should add a top view pic to their website to give you a better idea of how it's set up. R,

I have the Belt Feed for single stack mags and it's easily inside of the 2" rule. It will depend somewhat on the belt setup you have, but the mag that's farthest from my body (second one back) is less than 1.5" from the inside of the belt to the mag. Even a double stack mag shouldn't put you over 2" there.

The fact that they stagger the mags inside to outside as well as higher and lower makes it easy to just grab one mag each time as your hand goes back to get them. First reload your hand will hit the first mag without any interference from the second mag, and when you reload again you have a straight shot to the second mag...works like a champ. I've only shot a handful of matches with that setup, but I have dry fired a lot using it and I have yet to grab more than one mag or the wrong one, even under pressure. The probably should add a top view pic to their website to give you a better idea of how it's set up. R,

Thanks for the info. I'll pay more attention to see if anyone else is using them locally so I can evaluate them further.

-Cuz.

+2 for the holsters and mag pouches from Mach 2. I got a set from him 2yrs ago then my son started shooting with me last summer and sort of inherited my rig. So I ordered a second set for my self. Both the holster and pouches are very secure but fast to draw from, and they are fully tension adjustable. The mag pouches are singles. Good luck on finding what makes you happy...... so many choices.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to check out some rigs at a local match last Sunday. Someone was using a mix of TKW pouches from MLE-Shootingsports.com that looked very nice. They looked like exactly what I "think" I want. I went and ordered a pair of doubles for myself. It'll be a couple of weeks as they are not ambidextrous and I needed the left-handed version. I sure hope they work out. I'll keep you all posted.

-Cuz.

Here is my setup, fwiw...

post-690-1206195114.jpg

edit to add my setup from an ealier post:

My first 3 are Safariland singles, then a double (from Blade-tech, I think). I was running another single pouch all the way in the small of my back. This was for my loader mag (holding 11), so I wanted to keep it seperate from the others. But, we have enough seated starts and such that it's a real pain to have it back there, so I ditched it and now just stick my loader mag in a pocket.

Flex,

Are those front 3 pouches Safariland's?

Yes. I edited that last post to reflect that (I had posted that info earlier, but it's been pages)

What are they doing on the wrong side of your body??? :)

You lost me on that one?

Flex,

Are those front 3 pouches Safariland's?

Yes. I edited that last post to reflect that (I had posted that info earlier, but it's been pages)

What are they doing on the wrong side of your body??? :)

You lost me on that one?

I'm a lefty. It was a poor attempt at humor...

-Cuz