Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100 Primer Filler

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am freaked about this blown primer tube. I seriously have tapped and shoved the plastic stick for the primer buzzer down the primer tubes to get them out many of times.

I dont know if this was a freak accident or something we should all worry about now. I for sure will at least wear some thick gloves when filling the tubes but now that primer machine has got my attention. It seemed like a luxury to me at first but perhaps it can make things safer.

What I want to know is what about when we pull the pin on the primer tubes and send all those little suckers into the machine? They really get moving quickly and funnel down there in a hurry which makes me think this is another time they can be dangerous.

The air column going out the bottom of the magazine tube helps limit the velocity of primers falling in the tube. Additionally, the weight of 100 primers falling under these circumstances is not enough weight to detonate the bottom primer. There is a reason why the tube only holds 100 primers. :cheers:

Now I am freaked about this blown primer tube. I seriously have tapped and shoved the plastic stick for the primer buzzer down the primer tubes to get them out many of times.

WOW :surprise: If you really really really feel the need to save a tube that has a stuck primer(s) at least soak the entire tube in wd-40 or something that should (keyword being "should") deactivate the compound before you go jamming anything in there. Then again you have to stop and think about it.......is the few dollars your going to save by trying to keep the tube worth a few fingers or even your life maybe?

-Steve

in all the years of reloading I never have seen a stuck primer in the tube what's causing it? I sort a laff because back in my younger days I was the go to guy for blowing stumps, ditches, rocks and ponds around here,,, so a primer leaves me kinda unimpressed.

WOW :surprise: If you really really really feel the need to save a tube that has a stuck primer(s) at least soak the entire tube in wd-40 or something that should (keyword being "should") deactivate the compound before you go jamming anything in there. Then again you have to stop and think about it.......is the few dollars your going to save by trying to keep the tube worth a few fingers or even your life maybe?

-Steve

Well when I say stuck I dont mean its hard to get out. Its imply is tilted in the tube and with a light poke comes right out. Really all I have seen is a primer cock to a side and hang up in the tube but I have yet to have an issue.

I just bought a super thick pair of leather gloves to wear just to help my fingers should anything ever happen. I wont be tossing primer tubes for something so simple to fix but if I ever have to get one out again it will be held with pliers and away from me.

I thought about soaking them in wd-40 but then again isnt that flammable?

• 3 months later...

If the primers are not advancing properly, try to place the RF 100 on a soft surface (felt, etc.) instead of a hard (e.g. wooden) one. This helped really a lot! I always thought, the harder the surface the better but that's not true!

If you have probs with primers "dancing" on the spot, give it a try!

post-17092-126754810698_thumb.jpg

post-17092-126754811547_thumb.jpg

If the primers are not advancing properly, try to place the RF 100 on a soft surface (felt, etc.) instead of a hard (e.g. wooden) one. This helped really a lot! I always thought, the harder the surface the better but that's not true!

If you have probs with primers "dancing" on the spot, give it a try!

He is telling it straight before the dimmer I had mine on a old mouse pad.....................

• 1 year later...

That is the machine I would not live without, but the three I have all have unique and different personalities... for instance, on one the LAST primer hangs up at the entrance of the plastic cover, refusing to go further to join the rest... I need to tilt the machine towards me slightly, then it moves.

This machine works great on CCI's (except that last primer issue), but has problems with Winchester. The second machine prefers the Wins, and virtually never loads them upside down, but often has primers stuck on the entrance to the vertical tube... a good smack on the side usually fixes that.

The last one is set up for large primers, and is more or less reliable with Remington, but does not like CCI's.

Go figure...