Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Saiga 12 the new choice for 3 gun open division?

PistolPete

This is the NEWEST SAIGA factory model at least available in Europe. :)

Comes with 6 8rd magazines for 1250 euros total.

img1067jn7.th.jpg

img1068wv4.th.jpg

img1076vg2.th.jpg

And this is my Molot VEPR:

molot800.jpg

Only modifications to the gun are AR-15 stock+adapter and compensator with Lyman chokes.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it can but Dirk Frey world champion of IPSC shotgun open division uses Molot Vepr shotgun. ;)

We just had our national championship match and I broke my Molots bolt on first stage.

I had to borrow my wifes standard Benelli M1 and shoot the rest of the stages with that. :(

Pictures of the broken bolt (only 1000-1500 rounds fired and no magnum shots)

Broken_molot_bolt_02.jpg

Broken_molot_bolt_04.jpg

Yes it can but Dirk Frey world champion of IPSC shotgun open division uses Molot Vepr shotgun. ;)

IPSC hasn't yet held a world championship for shotgun so while Dirk is good the statement above is incorrect.

There are discussions in hand to possibly hold a shotgun WS in 2011.

IPSC hasn't yet held a world championship for shotgun so while Dirk is good the statement above is incorrect.

There are discussions in hand to possibly hold a shotgun WS in 2011.

Ouch, my bad mistake. I meant European Championship ofcourse. :(

Ouch, my bad mistake. I meant European Championship of course.

Sorry, but that doesn't stack up either. The results show Dirk second in the Europeans on 82.44% behind VACLAV VINDUSKA of the Czech Republic.

Ouch again... my bad and old memory makes me remember things that don't exist. I will definately remember that Finland team was gold medalist at standard division at ESC 2006. :)

Maybe Dirk will be champion next year at Czech 2009 ESC ;)

Ouch again... my bad and old memory makes me remember things that don't exist. I will definately remember that Finland team was gold medalist at standard division at ESC 2006. :)

Now that I can agree with. Raine was a very worthy winner and in fact anyone that can push Kurt Miller into 2nd place is a real quality shooter.

ESC09 will be another match to remember, as indeed will be the PanAm in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

The Saiga-12 was no advantage at RM3G this year. The relatively low shotgun round counts on most of the stages and select loading required made it not much of an advantage at all. The sporting clays stage was the one where it probably made things easier. The blind stage with a few shot-slug-more shot-slug-more shot-slug really killed me with the amount of changing mags I had to do.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Sounds like a typical response by the match director to mag fed guns. I've noticed that trend at quite a few matches, back when the San Angelo "mag fed" squad was pretty much the only folks at larger matches with modern guns :roflol:

For example, the first year we went to the NM 3gun, no problem...the second year, stages include a "all slugs loose in this here saddle bag to start" :D

Second year at Waco, a cool (long) field course had clays and paper with a row of shooting boxes and the command "from each box, engage the paper with slugs and at least one clay with shot" ;)

Much like this year's USPSA 3Gun, where all the stages but one are under 10 rounds (and most are 8)...I shoot more shotgun per stage when I run Cowboy Action (with a hammer double) :cheers:

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow of my new Saiga...18" short gas system with a mid-barrel two-chamber compensator...just the thing to keep the RO's from crowding me :surprise:

Alex

Got all the bugs worked out on mine finally. Shooting Benny's match in San Antonio got the final glitches to come to bear. Had a lot of ejection problems and the mag catch locked open on the field course. I went back machined the CAR Replica gas tube out of bar stock for extra weight/Balance put the MAGPUL stock on it and made a few more internal mods. Thing runs like a sewing machine. It will even run Winchester AA extra light target loads now. Zero ejection problems. I matched the LOP, trigger pull (2#) and the Hogue Grip and total weight of the Saiga to match my AR. Makes transitions feel more in tune. Appreciate you guys showing me how to fab the high cap mags. Got one 16 rounder made up for Benning. First time I have felt confident about a shotgun in years. I have Browning Golds, M1 Super 90, Winchester Super X and all my Remingtons. They have all let me down, but only during competition. Guess we will see.

post-951-1221878270_thumb.jpg

Second year at Waco, a cool (long) field course had clays and paper with a row of shooting boxes and the command "from each box, engage the paper with slugs and at least one clay with shot" ;)

IIRC (its been 3 years), I designed that stage so that you had to fire at least one slug from each position, but you could fire shot anywhere. You did the stage by taking as many clays as possible from the first position, shooting each required slug, then shooting the rest of the clays from the last position. The stage design gave you the option of thinking of a different solution than constant select loading.

It is true that we would not see stages with so much select loading before mag fed shotguns came around. To me it doesn't make the course harder, it just makes it more annoying.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Actually, I did it by cross loading magazines...starting with 1 slug and 19 shot in the drum, then using a magazine loaded shot/slug to hit each of the shooting boxes on the way to the final position :)

Saigas are fun. My new one, shown here, just needs a mag well to be exactly what I wanted. Compensated, dot sighted, choke tubed, and (although I still don't know why), with a folding stock :D

Saiga12_compproto_1.jpg

Alex

• 3 months later...