Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$300 fishing lures

Loves2Shoot

I hate that while learn to build spinning lures tonight at my father-in-law's with my nephew (11) that I managed to bury barbs in my thumb and forefinger to the hilt. We tried, but they wouldn't come out, so the wife (5 months pregnant) yelled at me to get to the damn hospital (in very colorful language I can't repeat here.) Fortunately we got in before the evening rush and only had to wait an hour before being seen (I was very grateful it didn't hurt) and a half hour after that and I had to tell the guy his way wasn't going to work and he should just cut them open and get them out. I don't think he really believed me that we seriously tried to get them out, but they were 1/2" barbs and it was a no go. I didn't want to do any nerve damage by just ripping them out. I would have gotten in big trouble for that. So, eventually he did just cut them out, which was much less painful than our attempts at home to remove the barbs.

The worst part was I don't think I can make the match on Saturday, and I've been itching to do some shooting outside of test firing guns.

So, in 7 years him teaching kid how to tie flys, make lures, build fishing poles, and learn how to fish, I was the first casualty. Damn I feel stupid.

ps.

First thing I did when I got back to the house was to finish that damn lure, but I don't think I can ever use it. The wife would be pissed if I lost a $300 lure. I think I'll frame it :D

Ummm ouch. Seriously ouch. I used to think I was a tough guy until I was in the e/r waiting to get treated from a racing accident and this 60 something guy was in the bed next to me. He had been out fly fishing and got the lure caught up in some tree branches. Nice lure so he kept yanking to get it out of the tree. Well, he succeeded, but unfortunately was facing said tree and manged to launch the lure directly into his left eye. Barb first. He said it didn't hurt much and the e/r folks didn't seem overly concerned. Took 'em about a half hour to wheel him off to do things I am sure I never want to know about to his eye.

Bummer about not being able to shoot Scott. I know you do hardly get the chance anymore. Alas, it is the curse of a great gunsmith.

Heal quick bro!

I remember my dad asking me after various injuries of a similar nature, "Did you learn anything?" Often the follow up line was, "Education is expensive."

That's why dad is going to the home when the time comes. :P

Hope you get well soon.

ouch, sh#t. Da*n. Sounds like no fun at all..sorry to hear about it :(

Kinda like 30 odd years ago when my Dad and I are fishing back to back at opposite ends of a jon boat. He whips the rod back to cast, rappala sets in my scalp (unbeknownst to him), and he slings the rod forward to let it fly. He didn't count on a 100 odd pounds of screaming boy being on the end of the line. :surprise: He still feels guilty to this day when we go fishing until we each have a beer and laugh about it. You'll have something to share a smile about years down the road yourself I am sure. B)

Thanks for the wishes all!

It was my my weak hand Homie. I'm just glad they were brand new hooks, and yes, I won't be yanking hooks out of the wire winding jig with my fingers again :)

Good thing is it looks like it is healing fast, which I don't think would have been the case if I would have just yanked them out.

ouch, sh#t. Da*n. Sounds like no fun at all..sorry to hear about it :(

Kinda like 30 odd years ago when my Dad and I are fishing back to back at opposite ends of a jon boat. He whips the rod back to cast, rappala sets in my scalp (unbeknownst to him), and he slings the rod forward to let it fly. He didn't count on a 100 odd pounds of screaming boy being on the end of the line. :surprise: He still feels guilty to this day when we go fishing until we each have a beer and laugh about it. You'll have something to share a smile about years down the road yourself I am sure. B)

I watched my son do the same thing to his mom with a weedless hook in a plastic worm. He actually pulled twice before I could stop him. Nothing to do but to push the hook through and cut off the barb. I'm glad there was only one hook....

dj

And I thought SA doctors stupid. The hooks gets pushed through and the barbs the cut off. This leaves two tiny puncture wounds and the shooter still can shoot on Saturday. Surely this it one of the first things they teach Doctors.

Saw a guy shot with a spear-gun a few years ago. The Doc`s also tried pulling that one out until a nurse stopped him. The spear and rather large barb got pushed through the poor guy`s leg, out the other side, the head unscrewed and the spear then pulled out. This was described as "may cause some discomfort" by the Doctor. Was the cop on the scene when they came out of the water to I had the "pleasure" of watching the whole episode. Put me off spear-gunning for the rest of my life. After that I used the word "discomfort" as my cue to leave.

Thanks for the wishes all!

It was my my weak hand Homie. I'm just glad they were brand new hooks, and yes, I won't be yanking hooks out of the wire winding jig with my fingers again :)

Good thing is it looks like it is healing fast, which I don't think would have been the case if I would have just yanked them out.

Hope you get healed quickly. Of course you know you'll bang that wound on everthing possible until it heals!

And I thought SA doctors stupid. The hooks gets pushed through and the barbs the cut off. This leaves two tiny puncture wounds and the shooter still can shoot on Saturday. Surely this it one of the first things they teach Doctors.

Apparently it is, but this was a treble hook and they were very deep with no bend to bring it back to the surface, so they could not push them through. The funny thing was he still tried after I told him he would be able to push them through and only then after doing more damaged agreed that it would be a good idea to cut them out. It is sad sad you have to tell a doctor how to do something because the look on their face tells you they have no idea what to do.

They are still doing good and no signs of infection :)

Those are some great stories, I don't feel so unfortunate at all.

Been there done that but mine was while fishing. For the really deep ones (this is kinda painful) I just continued pushing them out and around until I got them back out of the skin. I just took pliers and squeezed the barb and flattened it and just pulled it back through. I wasn't about to quit fishing for some hook B)

Flyin

I wouldn't have minded pushing it through, but it was a treble in two fingers to the stem of the hook :(

Had I known it was going to cost me 1K I would have yanked it out, maybe ;)

Boy I hear ya on that one! Had a pusher stick on my table saw kick back and knock a

hole in my palm. No big deal---no nerve/blood vessel/muscle damage. Doctor sent

me to the Emergency room. Flush it, 5 stitches, bandaid. $1300

I think I'll stock up a couple of suture kits---for $1300 I'll sew up the little ones myself!

Bill