Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 610 observations

vrmn1

I know two of them that are now back on the 45ACP cartridge after playing with the GAP cartridge.

I was told that there was no advantage gained except getting to use another rarer type of brass that was also expensive.....one did trim his .45ACP down to GAP specs though.

HOP

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
wow. That was a lot of good info.

What is the preferred barrel length on a 610 and is that mainly for the sight radius?

preferred length is up to you, folks shoot 4, 5, and 6.5 inch barrels

If you want to dabble in IDPA you can't go bigger that 4 inch.

5 inch is nice if you have the eye's and the money, this version commands high prices these days

but might be more suited to ICORE and USPSA (has to be a stock 5 inch to play ICORE)

6.5 is the most common, heavier than all the rest and I like the longer sight radius.

Soaks up recoil better due to the weight but then you have to push that weight around during the stage.

I'll be shooting my "Outlaw" 6.5 inch 610 in USPSA this year along with a 5 inch (cut down) model.

Good luck with your choice, i don't think we're making it any easier :devil:

Okay maybe I missed something somewhere along the way, but I have only seen 4" and 6.5" barrels for the SW 610. Are you talking about a custom 5" barrel or a 610 factory 5"?

X

I think Heathco will make clips specifically for the GAP. Cliff has been using them and with the proper moonclips he says they're pretty good.

Hearthco will make any clip you want, just send him the brass.

He is hearthco here on the forum.

Okay maybe I missed something somewhere along the way, but I have only seen 4" and 6.5" barrels for the SW 610. Are you talking about a custom 5" barrel or a 610 factory 5"?

X

1st run 610's were 5"

• 2 weeks later...
Was first run fluted or did that come later .....I've got a 5" that is fluted but can't recall if is a dash gun or not.

the first run was a limited run of I think 1500 and yes they did have fluted cylinders

damnit, I am going to have to sell a garand and get a damn revovler already. I am getting tired of reading about everyone else's experiences and all mine amounts to is a colt mkIII trooper with a snub nose and a 686 8 3/8 tha tI cannot find a holster to fit...

UHG

You could keep your Garand and change out the barrel on the 686 to a 6".