Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 610 observations

vrmn1

I have been shooting mine a few weeks now and have come to a few conclusions.

1) It is far more accurate than either of my 625's.

2) It has less recoil but not as big a difference as I thought it would have.

3) If you do the reload correctly there is no difference, BUT the crash factor is HUGE.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya V,

I will agree that my 5" 610 is better at shooting groups then any of the 5 or 6 .45 625/25s that I have owned. I shot it a bunch of years in Action Matches and found the reload as fast as a .45 rev. ---- I still have about 10,000 of the 140gr. TC lead --- they recoil soft and reload real nice. I use 180 FMJ RN when I shoot indoors. Lately I have been useing .40S&W brass and the reload is a little faster. At my age , who could tell :lol:

Have FUN & Shoot SAFE -------------- DaBird

3) If you do the reload correctly there is no difference, BUT the crash factor is HUGE.

Your #1 is interesting. Your #2 is what we found also.

It is # 3 that we found to be the deciding factor between the 625 and 610.

With the 610 when the reloads went well there was no difference between the two guns. But the percentage of crashes when reloading at speed was a huge percentage.

Dabird, where/whose 180 FMJ RN's are you using ?? would love to try some of those.

vrmn, how's your brass fit in your moons for those crashed reloads ??

Honestly I will take more responcebility for the crashes than blaming something else. If I do them right and look them into the holes like I should they go fine, it is when I don't pay as much attention that the crashes happen.

I can say though I have notice big differences in the way brass fits in the moon clips. Right now I have some Smith and some of the ones Brownells sells. I have some RIMZ ordered. This is with 40 brass, I have not fired the first round of 10mm with it. I do have some brass but I have not loaded any or fired any. It is all Starline.

Your #1 is interesting. Your #2 is what we found also.

It is # 3 that we found to be the deciding factor between the 625 and 610.

With the 610 when the reloads went well there was no difference between the two guns. But the percentage of crashes when reloading at speed was a huge percentage.

My 625's are accurate enough, nothing to write home about but my 610 is impressive.

Dabird, where/whose 180 FMJ RN's are you using ?? would love to try some of those.

vrmn, how's your brass fit in your moons for those crashed reloads ??

Honestly I will take more responcebility for the crashes than blaming something else. If I do them right and look them into the holes like I should they go fine, it is when I don't pay as much attention that the crashes happen.

I can say though I have notice big differences in the way brass fits in the moon clips. Right now I have some Smith and some of the ones Brownells sells. I have some RIMZ ordered. This is with 40 brass, I have not fired the first round of 10mm with it. I do have some brass but I have not loaded any or fired any. It is all Starline.

I don't have any experience with the RimZ clips (well a little, I tried 2 once when they first came out :blush: )

But a member here on the forum likes them a lot. I believe they hold the rounds fairly snugly for a less

trouble free reload IMO.

Win 40 brass works good with the Brownells clips, I measured a mixture of 40 S&W cases awhile ago

and there are some big differences in the rim dimensions, didn't have any Starline on hand though.

I also found I could get better accuracy with my 610's than my 625 and 25-2 but all I really tried where

a mixture of 230 grn Plated RN and JRN and one brand of lead so that doesn't really count.

Good luck and have fun with your 610

I have always wanted to know so this seems like a good place to ask... Why is the .45 ACP so foolproof in the moonclips (considering the wide variation in rim thickness and extractor groove widths) while the .40/10mm is so fickle?

Dave Sinko

I have always wanted to know so this seems like a good place to ask... Why is the .45 ACP so foolproof in the moonclips (considering the wide variation in rim thickness and extractor groove widths) while the .40/10mm is so fickle?

Dave Sinko

45 has big holes. Chamfer them a little or a lot and the holes are huge by comparision.

Dave Sinko

45 has big holes. Chamfer them a little or a lot and the holes are huge by comparision.

Mostly there's less metal between the holes on a 625. Makes it harder to not hit the hole.

Dave Sinko

Mostly there's less metal between the holes on a 625. Makes it harder to not hit the hole.

Having mostly flat tipped, truncated cone bullet heads to choose from is the biggest factor IMO,

I have some of the Berry's round nose 180 grn bullets and they speed load just as quick for me

as 230 round nose, too bad the dang things won't shoot worth a darn <_<

Actually what I meant was the fit of the cartridges into the moonclips and not the fit of the whole assembly into the cylinder. If I had to sort all my .45 ACP brass by headstamp to get a proper fit I'd sell my 625. That is something I do not want to tolerate and one of the reasons I'm so disinterested in my 627.

Dave Sinko

what is the average price for a 610 running now though as compared to a 625. I am already step up for reloading 40, so that is a big consideration for me.

And by crashes, do you mean screw ups?

Well because Smith is making new 610's again you should see them for about the same as new 625's.

By crashes I mean missing a reload. Yes me screwing up. :wacko:

Actually what I meant was the fit of the cartridges into the moonclips and not the fit of the whole assembly into the cylinder. If I had to sort all my .45 ACP brass by headstamp to get a proper fit I'd sell my 625. That is something I do not want to tolerate and one of the reasons I'm so disinterested in my 627.

Dave Sinko

I kinda thought thats what you meant.

It is crazy the difference in brass in the 40 as compared to 45 acp.

Or at least that is the way it seems.

I tried the RIMZ today and they worked great with any brass. That may be the ones I go to.

Dave Sinko

David my experience is that the winchester brass is inconsistant in the extractor groove that's why you sometimes have problems loading that last round in the moonclip. Rem or Fed brass is the best choice, seems to be alot better. The 627 moonclips are almost exclusive to rem or fed brass. The thickness of the moonclips affects the way they fit into the different types of brass, if you could find another thickness besides the .022 they would probably fit win brass better.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Scott :cheers:

anyone have any ideas/theories as to why the 610 would be more accurate than the 625? i wouldnt guess that it would have any thing to do with the bullet itself, seeing as my .45 1911s are every bit as accurate as my .40 1911s???

Bullet style. 200 SWC fired in a 625 are VERY accurate. Bullseye shooters have found that the FMJ profile bullet doesn't stabilize well unless you push it fast, 850-900 fps.

In the Hardball match in Bullseye you used to have to use factory FMJ ammo. Some years ago the NRA dropped that provision and allowed guys to use handloads. Shooters found that when they dropped the velocity to make the gun more controlable the accuracy went to crap.

In the little experimenting I've done I've found this to be true. In our guns we use FMJ for the fast reload, and since the bullet weighs 230 gr. we only have to push it to 740 fps to comfortably make major.

If you load a good quality JHP bullet (like Montana's excellent 230 gr. JHP or 185 gr. JHP) you can get great groups at any velocity. JHP's fly well at low speeds because they stabilize easily since their mass is more centralized, like a HBWC. Same goes for SWC's. But now your reload's going to suck, and who needs all that much accuracy in USPSA?

Edited by R112mercer

anyone have any ideas/theories as to why the 610 would be more accurate than the 625? i wouldnt guess that it would have any thing to do with the bullet itself, seeing as my .45 1911s are every bit as accurate as my .40 1911s???

Bullet style. 200 SWC fired in a 625 are VERY accurate. Bullseye shooters have found that the FMJ profile bullet doesn't stabilize well unless you push it fast, 850-900 fps.

In the Hardball match in Bullseye you used to have to use factory FMJ ammo. Some years ago the NRA dropped that provision and allowed guys to use handloads. Shooters found that when they dropped the velocity to make the gun more controlable the accuracy went to crap.

In the little experimenting I've done I've found this to be true. In our guns we use FMJ for the fast reload, and since the bullet weighs 230 gr. we only have to push it to 740 fps to comfortably make major.

If you load a good quality JHP bullet (like Montana's excellent 230 gr. JHP or 185 gr. JHP) you can get great groups at any velocity. JHP's fly well at low speeds because they stabilize easily since their mass is more centralized, like a HBWC. Same goes for SWC's. But now your reload's going to suck, and who needs all that much accuracy in USPSA?

ahhh...nice explanation, thanks!

damnit, I am going to have to sell a garand and get a damn revovler already. I am getting tired of reading about everyone else's experiences and all mine amounts to is a colt mkIII trooper with a snub nose and a 686 8 3/8 tha tI cannot find a holster to fit...

UHG

damnit, I am going to have to sell a garand and get a damn revovler already. I am getting tired of reading about everyone else's experiences and all mine amounts to is a colt mkIII trooper with a snub nose and a 686 8 3/8 tha tI cannot find a holster to fit...

UHG

Speed Sec holster will fit that 8 3/8 686, heck maybe the Trooper as well :blink:

Long shots should be great with that sight radius ;)

But watch out shooting thru ports :huh:

UHG

Speed Sec holster will fit that 8 3/8 686, heck maybe the Trooper as well :blink:

You don't happen to have a link do you?

I feel a little bit crazy shooting such a long barrel in ipsc, but I am sure it would atleast be good to train on and get some experience doing steel shoots until I can find a 610 or 625 I can afford.

Hello: I have a model 646 and just love it. You may want to try to find one of them. They are a little hard to find but worth every penny. I am still thinking of getting a 610 though just for the larger frame. I tried a 625 and a 610 on reloads and the 625 is faster at least for me. I load alot of 40 so that is why the 646 works for me. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

UHG

You don't happen to have a link do you?

I feel a little bit crazy shooting such a long barrel in ipsc, but I am sure it would atleast be good to train on and get some experience doing steel shoots until I can find a 610 or 625 I can afford.

Here's a link to a BE dealer, and the cheapest price around i believe.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...products_id=549

You'll fit right in with the rest of us crazies shooting wheel guns, you may get some looks, maybe some comments,

but at least you'll be out there having fun.

And the long barrel :surprise:

did you see the pic of the 625/25 with a 8 3/8 barrel, you'd be no crazier than that gent.

or how's about the guy that shoots a Ruger Alaskan !!

It ain't what you shoot, it's just that you get out there and shoot.

Good luck, and have fun, if you get into it then maybe start looking for a 646 like Aircooled mentions

or the 610-625.